2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It was a very impressive game, they didn't just win, they absolutely dominated Rochester until garbage time.
With a lineup that included Foerster, Lycksell, Desnoyers, Wisdom, even Ratcliffe looked solid, York, Attard, Ginning and Zamula.

The kids led the way, the only veterans who stood out were Anisimov and Connouton, Belpido was a bit erratic, Fitzgerald and O'Reilly were showing their age.

Pumping up this single game is ridiculous and you know it, but it's all you've got.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Phantoms are 6-1-1 in their last eight, after starting 2-5-1.
The turnaround has been led by their prospects, not their AHL veterans.
Foerster, York, Lycksell, Desnoyers and Attard are their top 5 scorers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Flyers man Tony Angelo has almost the same GF% and xGF% - 36.59% and 35.88%.

That's after 22 games at 410 ES minutes.

He also has the lowest P/60 of any Flyer who has scored at ES- 0.59.

Unfortunately he wasn’t bringing the whole Carolina ecosystem with him.

The Flyers don’t have that going for them where they can leverage his offensive ability while minimizing his defensive short comings. Despite some trying to say it Provorov is no where in the same stratosphere as Slavin & the Flyers just lack talent every where else too.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
When Fletcher was hired, it was with a clear mandate to "win now," Holmgren and Scott were adamant about that.
Fletcher did not sell the house doing so, 2nd and 3rd for Braun (recouped the 3rd last TDL), got a 6th for Weal, gave a 5th for Hayes' rights, 4th and 5th at the TDL for Grant and Thompson. So net cost of making the playofs, 2nd, 4th, (2) 5ths.

The problem came last summer, when it was either fire AV, eat $15M and start a rebuild or double down. Let's say Fletcher had pushed for a rebuild, think he would have been given the green light by Scott? In what universe?

Basically, all the damage came on one transaction, Ghost/Risto, 1st, 2 2nd rd picks, Atkinson/Voracek was a wash.

Tippett, a 1st and 3rd was about all they were getting for G, Colorado wasn't offering Newhook or Byram, so it would have been Barron, 2023 1st (late 20s?), and another asset.
End up with Tippett, 2024 1st, (2) 2023 3rd and 2023 4th at the TDL.
Traded their own 2023 3rd and 2024 2nd for TDA (27).

The cap ramifications of Hayes and Ellis won't matter b/c they're rebuilding (they'll be dumping salary the next few years, not signing big name FAs). They were stuck with Voracek's $8.25M next year if they don't make the Atkinson trade, so a lower cap hit and then an extra year when they have dumped JVR's salary.

They don't suck b/c of Fletcher's transactions, Patrick and Myers were damaged goods - they suck because they blew too many draft picks and haven't drafted an elite player for a decade. Couts in 2011. TK is probably the best player since then. Fletcher is just the icing on the shit pie (The Help).
You keep saying the salary doesn't matter and giving away picks doesn't matter, but it does, every little mistake adds up to huge mistakes, you sound moronic when you scream it doesn't matter from the roof tops, when we are a cap strapped team that is displaying an ahl caliber team, just stop, it does matter, EVERYTHING MATTERS

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some things matter more than other, being cap strapped is a problem when you're trying to compete, when you plan to shed salary over a 3 year period, it's a minor inconvenience.

Giving away picks matter, but it's not like we mortgaged the future by trading multiple 1st rd picks.

Yes, it would be nice to have more later round picks, but we're going to pick up a few more this TDL, and picks outside the 1st rd don't make or break a rebuild - 1st rd picks are far more important. Odds are we move a D-man or two the next couple years and pick up more assets. We're down (3) 2nds and up a 3rd and will add a few more. Not a game changer.

Revamping the FO is far more important than a couple 2nd picks.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
You keep saying the salary doesn't matter and giving away picks doesn't matter, but it does, every little mistake adds up to huge mistakes, you sound moronic when you scream it doesn't matter from the roof tops, when we are a cap strapped team that is displaying an ahl caliber team, just stop, it does matter, EVERYTHING MATTERS
wins in the margins are for Nerdssss

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Being cap strapped isn't just minor inconvenience it's incompetence. Having cap space provides flexibility and can be leveraged to accrue assets to take on cap space from other cap strapped teams.

I'm actually happy the flyers are losing this spectacularly. They need to. I'm not even mad this has worked out the way it has. Carter Hart is playing elite hockey. Torteralla who I didn't want and was critical of, actually seems like he could be part of a solution moving forward under different management and leadership. They need to suck to get better. They need a top 3 pick this season.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Being cap strapped isn't just minor inconvenience it's incompetence. Having cap space provides flexibility and can be leveraged to accrue assets to take on cap space from other cap strapped teams.

I'm actually happy the flyers are losing this spectacularly. They need to. I'm not even mad this has worked out the way it has. Carter Hart is playing elite hockey. Torteralla who I didn't want and was critical of, actually seems like he could be part of a solution moving forward under different management and leadership. They need to suck to get better. They need a top 3 pick this season.

To this poster, virtually any management mistake only qualifies as an inconvenience.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Some things matter more than other, being cap strapped is a problem when you're trying to compete, when you plan to shed salary over a 3 year period, it's a minor inconvenience.

Giving away picks matter, but it's not like we mortgaged the future by trading multiple 1st rd picks.

Yes, it would be nice to have more later round picks, but we're going to pick up a few more this TDL, and picks outside the 1st rd don't make or break a rebuild - 1st rd picks are far more important. Odds are we move a D-man or two the next couple years and pick up more assets. We're down (3) 2nds and up a 3rd and will add a few more. Not a game changer.

All of this is an inconvenience the same way shooting yourself in the foot is an inconvenience. Sure, you can probably still get around, but go ahead and toss any chance of winning a foot race out the window.

Last edited:

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

You can still get damn good players in the 2nd round, stop down playing it, Robertson, debrincat etc, 2nd round picks, and it's not a minor inconvenience when you have the team cap strapped long term, it's a major inconvenience actually, risto for 5 years, is a major inconvenience regardless of a rebuild, which they clearly aren't doing, torts isn't the gm, torts is not running this team, it's your boy chuckles, who you've gone great lengths to defend

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
this was actualy worth listening to..

I liked how with every truth bomb Seravalli hit them with, they basically just sighed and shrugged. Seravalli flat out said a fully heathy Flyers wouldn't even be a playoff team -- they sighed and shrugged. Even they know; it's a groundswell.

Seravalli seemed pretty adamant that Comcast would cut bait eventually, but then the conversation shifted to getting their "culture" back, at the behest of new ownership. They left that vague and nebulous. If that culture is the Bullies masturbatory fantasy we're living in......buh bye. If that's the organizational zeal to say, "We are not a mediocre, participation trophy franchise that applauds making the playoffs every few years as our goal," then okay. He also seemed skeptical the franchise, even now, is realistic with itself.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I liked how with every truth bomb Seravalli hit them with, they basically just sighed and shrugged. Seravalli flat out said a fully heathy Flyers wouldn't even be a playoff team -- they sighed and shrugged. Even they know; it's a groundswell.

Seravalli seemed pretty adamant that Comcast would cut bait eventually, but then the conversation shifted to getting their "culture" back, at the behest of new ownership. They left that vague and nebulous. If that culture is the Bullies masturbatory fantasy we're living in......buh bye. If that's the organizational zeal to say, "We are not a mediocre, participation trophy franchise that applauds making the playoffs every few years as our goal," then okay. He also seemed skeptical the franchise, even now, is realistic with itself.

I think the interesting part is that people have asked him if the Flyers are for sale, as in people looking to buy it. I'll be honest, full new ownership could do this team some serious good. Commemorate the legacy that Ed Snider had, ignore post-Snider Comcast and move on from a lot of old boy shit with new ownership.

Do you see brand new ownership going with what they have now? f*** no. Also, Frank was very candid that Torts is not the coach this team needs and he fully sees they need to bottom out. Flyers supposedly want culture, but I think the only way they get that is to wipe the slate clean and try to find it proper, instead of holding onto an old and irrelevant moniker.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2010
PA

Is this the first time someone "reputable" in the media has somewhat seriously mentioned Comcast selling the team? A quick google didn't find anything, only that Comcast bought Snider's shares in the team in 2016 after he passed.

Looking at this from Comcast's point of view, what makes owning the Flyers worth it? They also own the Wells Fargo Center - no idea of the revenue/profit generated from owning the building, is it worth it for them to keep? All rhetorical questions, and who knows who would even be interested in buying.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don’t really care that Comcast is a corporation that runs its team like a corporation from a business standpoint. That’s just the reality of pro sports in 2022. I don’t care about all that ancillary window dressing that people that typically complain about them are typically doing so for. My issue is that they’re seemingly letting Dave Scott run the team on the behalf despite letting this thing nose dive. There’s really no indication from their end to fully understand how bad this thing is with Scott, the Bully advisors, & so on.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is this the first time someone "reputable" in the media has somewhat seriously mentioned Comcast selling the team? A quick google didn't find anything, only that Comcast bought Snider's shares in the team in 2016 after he passed.

Looking at this from Comcast's point of view, what makes owning the Flyers worth it? They also own the Wells Fargo Center - no idea of the revenue/profit generated from owning the building, is it worth it for them to keep? All rhetorical questions, and who knows who would even be interested in buying.

ASF said around the time the Sixers Chinatown Stadium proposal announcement that it could be another blow to Comcast owning the Flyers long term as that would be a big loss of revenue stream with renting out to the Sixers. I think that & just in general with the current state of the team & league it could be feasible even shifting through ASF’s general axe to grind with Comcast.

I think in general with the sale of the Penguins coming off the pandemic there’s been some ownerships that have been curious to see what the market could be.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think the interesting part is that people have asked him if the Flyers are for sale, as in people looking to buy it. I'll be honest, full new ownership could do this team some serious good. Commemorate the legacy that Ed Snider had, ignore post-Snider Comcast and move on from a lot of old boy shit with new ownership.

Do you see brand new ownership going with what they have now? f*** no. Also, Frank was very candid that Torts is not the coach this team needs and he fully sees they need to bottom out. Flyers supposedly want culture, but I think the only way they get that is to wipe the slate clean and try to find it proper, instead of holding onto an old and irrelevant moniker.

I never bought into this idea that Tortorella could will this team into the bubble. It gives him way too much credit. Try hard shit only goes so far with a bland system, no special teams clue, and a bad roster. Short of Hart having a .950 save%, they're bottoming out just fine with him.

As for ownership, sometimes, better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Private owners can be incompetent too, like your Daryl Katz types who giggle and clap to their own Old Boys Club. Like the Penguins had Fenway buy a controlling share. Sign me up -- they're cross-sport experts. Some hedge fund person, like a Josh Harris, who understands how to grow an asset through the short term pain of losing? Sure. In theory, I'm not sure anything is inherently wrong with Comcast, other than it's gargantuan. A division of a massive corporation can still operate well. But for a ruthless company, it handles the Flyers with kid gloves, with a milquetoast know nothing overseeing daily operations. The aimlessness starts from the top.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Pat croce wanted to take over for Snyder before leaving to run the pirate museum. I wonder if he'd still be interested enough to put together an ownership group.
While he wasn't the greatest I thought hextall at least had an understanding of how you build and manage a modern NHL team. I see Fletcher making many of the same mistakes and lacking the long term vision .
Sadly I don't know if the flyers brand can withstand a lengthy rebuild. Minus an elite star to market behind they'll get reduced to a medium market team. The guys who tune in for the bullies are tuned out by other hockey fans and absent that base the flyers are fifth in a 4 team town that has big five basketball

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I never bought into this idea that Tortorella could will this team into the bubble. It gives him way too much credit. Try hard shit only goes so far with a bland system, no special teams clue, and a bad roster. Short of Hart having a .950 save%, they're bottoming out just fine with him.

As for ownership, sometimes, better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Private owners can be incompetent too, like your Daryl Katz types who giggle and clap to their own Old Boys Club. Like the Penguins had Fenway buy a controlling share. Sign me up -- they're cross-sport experts. Some hedge fund person, like a Josh Harris, who understands how to grow an asset through the short term pain of losing? Sure. In theory, I'm not sure anything is inherently wrong with Comcast, other than it's gargantuan. A division of a massive corporation can still operate well. But for a ruthless company, it handles the Flyers with kid gloves, with a milquetoast know nothing overseeing daily operations. The aimlessness starts from the top.

Considering there's basically been only one owner since conception (technically Snider and Comcast became one and the same), so at this point, the Flyers would be treading new territory. Yes, we can get old boy bullshit, but it could also mean that if it's owned by someone else, it could also mean to be more hands on and paying more attention to the issues going on with the team, such as with Ed. Ed would usually give the green light to spend money on whoever and however to get quality players and keep the team fighting each year for a playoff spot. We have NONE of that other than Chuck just going out and getting whoever he's a "fan" of, instead of what is better for the team overall.

The other thing is, when people talk about Broad Street Bullies, all they think about is toughness. The fact that we're ONLY going with toughness to build a team shows how f***ed this team is and how they don't understand shit. Yes, you gotta have some grit and you gotta have tenacity, but if the skill, skating and IQ aren't there, then what's the f***ing point? BSB era also had great scorers... so where the f*** are they? They are trying to bring back/keep something that died many years ago. Having a pulse on how the league changes and adjusting with it is key when running an NHL team, and with how this team is being run, they're trying to find the pulse on a f***ing rock and expect it to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad