2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Three distinctions:
1) Hayes was injured for most of 2020-21 and 2021-22, penalizing a guy for subpar performance when he plays through a painful injury to help a short handed team is a bit uncharitable
2) Hayes is a center, that has more value than a LW only player
3) Hayes kills penalties, though JVR is a much better PP guy

I’m not saying that tells the whole story, just that it’s probably correct to lump them into the same good but overpaid bucket.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Chris Stewart out there on the ice as part of development camp or whatever they call it.

Nice to see they managed to retain him yet again :laugh:
Pay attention kids!
1658278464667.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’m not saying that tells the whole story, just that it’s probably correct to lump them into the same good but overpaid bucket.
Yeah, Fletcher should be patient with JVR, at 1yr/$5M he should have a market, I mean look at what some players got in FA in long-term, far riskier deals.

If Hayes is 100%, 3x5 after this season would find a lot of takers.

JVR's 1.95 at 5x5 ranks 100th among forwards the last three years.
Laughton 1.79 is 147th
Hayes 1.74 is 163

going off the median, i.e. 1st line is 45th or better, 2nd line 135th, 3rd line 225th
JVR is a solid 2nd line scorer, and Laughton and Hayes subpar 2nd/top 3rd line scorers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fletcher is definitely going to retain a couple million on Hayes and a million on Risto in order to move the guys he traded for and signed to long term deals. :laugh:

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I know this isn't what they were doing, but I would have more fun on the beach pretending I was Magellan than just laying there. I hate laying on the beach. Yes, I know where I live. I'm not capable of doing nothing.
Why do I like this man so much?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Three distinctions:
1) Hayes was injured for most of 2020-21 and 2021-22, penalizing a guy for subpar performance when he plays through a painful injury to help a short handed team is a bit uncharitable
2) Hayes is a center, that has more value than a LW only player
3) Hayes kills penalties, though JVR is a much better PP guy

On that other hand, staying healthy is valuable in and of itself. Inability to do so should be factored in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
On that other hand, staying healthy is valuable in and of itself. Inability to do so should be factored in.
In that case we were right to dump Ghost?
No, because he's been staying healthy and living up to his contract. Plus he was replaced with a much worse player. Even a gimped Ghost is better than a healthy Ristolainen.
But that's ex post, at the time he had three subpar seasons, both knees scoped.
So if Hayes is 100% and gets 50+ points, we shoud then keep him b/c his past doesn't matter?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Let’s make a bet. 30.5 wins. I take the over.

I've already said I think it's entirely possible Torts has them no-event their way as a bubble playoff team. I think he can probably squeeze that out of this group if everything goes just "right" of however you wish to view it. Maybe one or two of the kids pop off, or Provorov is able to stabilize his game, or Hart goes nuts, etc. I wouldn't count on it, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

That would actually be the worst scenario. Dreadfully boring no future hockey, no recouping assets for Sanheim because we're in the mix, lowest % chance to garner a top pick in a draft with high end elite young talent, with our reward being maybe getting steamrolled as an 8th seed.

Let's make a bet.

Tony DeAngelo vs. Johnny Gaudreau. Total points.

I bet they are within 20.

Ok, now you're getting really goofy. This desperation on your part to want to believe in something is pathetic. I mean, I'm not completely invulnerable to it either, but Chuck could come out and declare that he's purposely destroying the franchise and you'd still find someway to rationalize it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I've already said I think it's entirely possible Torts has them no-event their way as a bubble playoff team. I think he can probably squeeze that out of this group if everything goes just "right" of however you wish to view it. Maybe one or two of the kids pop off, or Provorov is able to stabilize his game, or Hart goes nuts, etc. I wouldn't count on it, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

That would actually be the worst scenario. Dreadfully boring no future hockey, no recouping assets for Sanheim because we're in the mix, lowest % chance to garner a top pick in a draft with high end elite young talent, with our reward being maybe getting steamrolled as an 8th seed.

Ok, now you're getting really goofy. This desperation on your part to want to believe in something is pathetic. I mean, I'm not completely invulnerable to it either, but Chuck could come out and declare that he's purposely destroying the franchise and you'd still find someway to rationalize it.
“Goofy”? “Pathetic”?

In 19/20,

DeAngelo had 53 points in 68 games
Gaudreau had 58 points in 70 games

And all I suggested was a bet they’d be within 20 points of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad