2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I got caught up in the Johnny G. hype. The franchise has been stale and it would have been interesting. As a fan, I like interesting.

BUT a good piece of business? Turning 29, 7 years and $10M per? For a guy who was under a point per game already in both of the seasons before this contract year. And who won't be playing with Tkachuk and Lindholm?

The right move, rationality over emotion, is probably not signing him. When he's getting paid $10M and scoring 50 points, which could happen this season, .....will you blame Fletcher?
A lot would depend on our center situation, but Gaudreau and a healthy Couturier together probably would be better than Couturier and Giroux. They're both the same age, as well.

Considering the contract he signed in Columbus wouldn't closer to $9m be more realistic? You get your new franchise player, you draw fans, you become exciting to watch again. That's worth the contract, imo.

The only way I would accept not going after Gaudreau would be if Fletcher openly said we're rebuilding. But he's either too scared or not willing to.
This "aggressive retool" idea won't work. Not if the moves he's made this summer are his idea of retooling.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Glad to see that you swallowed the team’s propaganda so willingly.
Do you think the JVR $7M contract is a good one right now?

A lot would depend on our center situation, but Gaudreau and a healthy Couturier together probably would be better than Couturier and Giroux. They're both the same age, as well.

Considering the contract he signed in Columbus wouldn't closer to $9m be more realistic? You get your new franchise player, you draw fans, you become exciting to watch again. That's worth the contract, imo.

The only way I would accept not going after Gaudreau would be if Fletcher openly said we're rebuilding. But he's either too scared or not willing to.
This "aggressive retool" idea won't work. Not if the moves he's made this summer are his idea of retooling.
Like I said, I got caught up in the Gaudreau hype, admitting all the way that it probably wasn't a good piece of business. I just wanted something to stir some interest.

The "aggressive retool" was a stupid statement. They are rebuilding without tanking, and that's I guess the idiotic euphemism they used.

Reactions: TCTC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Funny. Seems like a Hextall contract to JVR for $7M really f'd them over. But I wouldn't expect you to acknowledge that.

JVR's contract isn't the issue. Risto and TDA's was. Fletcher thinks forward for even a little bit, and he can create a cap situation where JVR is irrelevant.

This team is wholly owned by Fletcher. Weird to pick out a single contract when he's distributed every single other one. Fletcher is responsible for what, 95% of the cap situation? I don't think that 5% is what mattered.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Do you think the JVR $7M contract is a good one right now?
When did I ever say or act as if it was?

A good and competent general manager doesn't get backed into the corner like Fletcher was with the moves that he made. He found out pretty damn quickly that this league isn't run by spineless losers like himself when they held his ass to the fire.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
When did I ever say or act as if it was?

A good and competent general manager doesn't get backed into the corner like Fletcher was with the moves that he made.
So they're stuck in one of the worst contracts in the entire NHL, and you blame Fletcher for not finding a miraculous way to get out of it, not Hextall for signing it.

The price to take that contract is a 2023 1st. If you think Fletcher should do it. Fine. I don't. And I don't blame Fletcher for being put in the predicament of a horrific contract he didn't sign.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The bit about Philly is at 51:30 Hahaha, they really skewer Fletcher. I'm not sure which voice is which of the hosts.

"They gave your bag to Risto"

*laughter*

"whoops, whoops"

"You have very similar bags"

"Actually Chuck Fletcher's became my favorite GM after the answer he gave about how it was gonna be too hard to move a couple contracts to get one of the best playmakers we've seen in the last f***ing what 5-10 years."

Gaudreau: " Oh, geez..."

"Come on it's f***ing hilarious, dude, he just didn't even want to work to get it done, so suck on that one Johnny".

Say what you want about Biz, but he couldn't be more correct.

Chuck def the type of dude that takes 20 mins to set up those way-too-big canopy things on the beach with the poles and sand bags and shit

@JojoTheWhale

I never go to the beach without one now that I have a little one, but it should take no more than 5 minutes and sandbags are not a part of the equation; they come with stakes.

Reactions: DancingPanther

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
So they're stuck in one of the worst contracts in the entire NHL, and you blame Fletcher for not finding a miraculous way to get out of it, not Hextall for signing it.

The price to take that contract is a 2023 1st. If you think Fletcher should do it. Fine. I don't. And I don't blame Fletcher for being put in the predicament of a horrific contract he didn't sign.
How are you not understanding this? It’s like you keep running in circles.

Reactions: Nizzle and Striiker

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Just stop. Keep eating that propaganda though. JVR's one year contract isn't even close to being one of the worst contracts in the entire NHL.

They're in this position because of moves that Fletcher has put them in. If he didn't have their backs against the wall that wouldn't have been the asking price. Moving JVR wasn't the only move that could have been made.

"Let's blame the guy that Hextall signed so I can't get blamed!" That's what the Flyers front office is thinking and you're eating it up, again.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Are "prices" simply dictated by GMs? Or can good GMs negotiate a price down and be a good salesmen?

Chuck paid a premium for Risto and DeAngelo, along with a premium to get rid of Ghost. It is not surprising that he was unable to negotiate past the premium of a 2023 1st for hypothetically the 2024 1st instead.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
How are you not understanding this? It’s like you keep running in circles.
How are you not understanding it?

The Flyers have one of the worst contracts in hockey: JVR at $7M.

Hextall signed him to that contract.

The cost to move him was at least the Flyers 2023 1st rd pick.

They didn't do it, and they shouldn't.

No magic genie GM is going to magically change the asking price for a SEVEN MILLION cap hit no one wants.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Say what you want about Biz, but he couldn't be more correct.

I never go to the beach without one now that I have a little one, but it should take no more than 5 minutes and sandbags are not a part of the equation; they come with stakes.
A canopy/umbrella is fine. A production is not.

But all you need is a blankie

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Just stop. Keep eating that propaganda though. JVR's one year contract isn't even close to being one of the worst contracts in the entire NHL.

They're in this position because of moves that Fletcher has put them in. If he didn't have their backs against the wall that wouldn't have been the asking price. Moving JVR wasn't the only move that could have been made.

"Let's blame the guy that Hextall signed so I can't get blamed!" That's what the Flyers front office is thinking and you're eating it up, again.
Ironically, his teammate's contract- which was doled out by Chuck- could be argued as the worst in the league.

The fact that this post could be replied to with "which one" is telling

• Haha
Reactions: Nizzle and Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A canopy/umbrella is fine. A production is not.

But all you need is a blankie

Once you go canopy, you never go back.

Not only provides shade when you want it, but you keep your cooler out of the direct sunlight so your beverages stay colder longer....and if you have food your less likely to get bothered by those bastard seagulls. You're young still. One day you'll get there lol

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

NO ONE WANTS HIM.

You can try to put all the the dressings on it you want, he's a $7M cap hit and no one wants him, and that's $7M the Flyers couldn't use this summer. And it wasn't bogeyman Chuck's contract.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
How are you not understanding it?

The Flyers have one of the worst contracts in hockey: JVR at $7M.

Hextall signed him to that contract.

The cost to move him was at least the Flyers 2023 1st rd pick.

They didn't do it, and they shouldn't.

No magic genie GM is going to magically change the asking price for a SEVEN MILLION cap hit no one wants.
Can you please look at the contracts Fletcher has handed out. Please.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Once you go canopy, you never go back.

Not only provides shade when you want it, but you keep your cooler out of the direct sunlight so your beverages stay colder longer....and if you have food your less likely to get bothered by those bastard seagulls. You're young still. One day you'll get there lol
I'm am open to umberellies but only will sit under them for a break if it really is sizzling out. No shame in that

My parents always bring one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad