2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
He has magical powers? Am I reading that right??

I’ve seen a lot of nonsensical hockey POV’s in my time. This one is way up there. The lionization of no-talent “hard-workers” by hockey media and front office execs is the weirdest thing about this weirdass sport. If this player were any good, it’d be great. He’s a far cry from Donald Brashear. Who could actually play hockey and crush skulls.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You argued for days that Tortorella is secretly an offensive guru and then cherry picked stats to try and prove it.

Fletcher makes the roster decisions. That's what GMs do. That's how it works across the league. It's his team. If they're they players Fletcher wants, that's what matters. Tortorella will make do with what's available. Coaches don't dictate GM moves.
No you're reading stuff into what I posted that wasn't there.

What surprised me about his teams that far from being the defensively oriented teams that smother offense for both teams, they generate a lot of scoring chances, but as I pointed out, this is probably due to his emphasis on pressure, forcing turnovers and flipping the ice. And part of that is being aggressive on the forecheck, part is giving defensemen the liberty to attack in the O-zone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chase: He was from St. Louis, so he was the ring leader of getting the guys together and having parties. They thought they were hiding and we didn’t know where they were. When you’re young, you think you’re fooling the coach, but they weren’t fooling anyone. We let them do it because it was how we built the team, to have success and be together.

Murray: We would go out all the time and get in a lot of trouble and we’d think we got away with it, but then Chaser would be bagging us until someone would say, “Yeah it’s my fault.” No one came forward, so we all skated. Chaser one time took Maroon’s stick and broke it across the glass, saying, “You’re setting an example. You’re supposed to be in the NHL.” Slim was just laughing. He never took anything too serious, still doesn’t. But he would party with the best of them and then the next day, we’d be dragging ass and he’d be scoring three goals.

Ben Lovejoy, former Ducks and Devils teammate: He’s a guy that will admit he’s made pretty much every mistake you can.

Meanwhile, the story with Pat Maroon is a bit more interesting as Ryan Bright of PhilaBright shares with us.

The trade was accelerated by the organization’s need to move Maroon, who was the Phantoms’ top forward, with five goals and three assist in his first nine games. However, clashes with then coach Greg Gilbert, forced the organization to send Maroon home to await relocation. Gilbert was also eventually fired.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Newsflash, Maroon was a young athlete acting like many other NHL athletes, including his own teammates.

My favorite part of those pieces singling out one player is that it's quietly confirmed that he guy was far from alone.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Newsflash, Maroon was a young athlete acting like many other NHL athletes, including his own teammates.

My favorite part of those pieces singling out one player is that it's quietly confirmed that he guy was far from alone.
He was the acknowledged ring leader, and he's admitted he had some growing up to do.
Face with the prospect his career might be over, Maroon got his shit together.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He was the acknowledged ring leader, and he's admitted he had some growing up to do.
Face with the prospect his career might be over, Maroon got his shit together.

Having been this ring leader socially, you're not making anyone do something they didn't want to do or wouldn't have found a way to do anyway.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Maroon was a problem on and off the ice. I have met him numerous times over the years. Great guy. He knows he messed up when in Philly gladly admits it. You have no idea the amount of rope Holmgren gave him. He even gave Holmgren shit, who was his biggest backer.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Frost outperformed Thompson defensively by a wide margin. Thanks for confirming your assessment is unreliable.

What diva rumors? You accuse me of making stuff up. He's done everything they've asked about him. If they're getting mad because he isn't becoming a fundamentally different player like they want with all their prospects, that's their deficiency not his.
Why do you even acknowledge it?

Reactions: Rebels57

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Greg Gilbert was an absolute tool of a head coach and a person. Maroon wasn't without fault but Gilbert got into multiple confrontations with players during his time as the Phantoms head coach.
I don’t disagree the coach wasn’t great. But I don’t buy the player wasn’t at fault. He has admitted so and turned it around and has had a very successful career as a result. Nothing I hate more than people using excuses for their behaviour.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos

Considering what you have said very recently about other players. You are a complete hypocrite. Not surprisingly

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I watched the Johnny hockey interview from spittin chiclets. There’s absolutely no doubt he was going to sign here if he could. Makes you wonder what he might’ve signed for. Biz rips into Fletcher in the interview and said they gave Johnnys bag to Risto lol.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I don't think MacEwen has a regular roster spot.

It's something like:

Farabee - Couturier- TK
JVR - Hayes - Atkinson
Cates - Frost - Tippett
Deslauriers - Laughton - Allison
Laczynski

Laczynski/Allison/Frost/Cates/Tippett all fighting for roster spots to start the season.

With Farabee out:

JVR-Couturier-TK
Laughton-Hayes-Atkinson
Cates-Frost-Tippett
Deslauriers-Laczynski-Allison
My understanding is that CF can buy out JVR during the second, post-arb window. If CapFriendly’s calculations are correct, they’ll save $2.67M this year by buying out JVR. He can place Ellis on LTIR at the start of the season but now he doesn’t have money for MacEwen or Tippett.

So I think you may be able to change “with Farabee out” to “with JVR bought out,” but I’ll caution that I’m not absolutely clear on whether the JVR buyout is permissible. I’m not the most studious with the intricacies of capology so corrections to fine details welcome.

Anywho, the points are: 1) he’s in the red right now so has to do something, and 2) having ND and MacEwen on the same roster is another example of ridiculous asset management.

Bringing back MacEwen at a sub-$1M short-term contract is fine, but signing him after you’ve made the relatively massive commitment to ND is straight up bonkers. Has anyone else realized that Fletch might be in over his head?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My understanding is that CF can buy out JVR during the second, post-arb window. If CapFriendly’s calculations are correct, they’ll save $2.67M this year by buying out JVR. He can place Ellis on LTIR at the start of the season but now he doesn’t have money for MacEwen or Tippett.

So I think you may be able to change “with Farabee out” to “with JVR bought out,” but I’ll caution that I’m not absolutely clear on whether the JVR buyout is permissible. I’m not the most studious with the intricacies of capology so corrections to fine details welcome.

Anywho, the points are: 1) he’s in the red right now so has to do something, and 2) having ND and MacEwen on the same roster is another example of ridiculous asset management.

Bringing back MacEwen at a sub-$1M short-term contract is fine, but signing him after you’ve made the relatively massive commitment to ND is straight up bonkers. Has anyone else realized that Fletch might be in over his head?
I think the 2nd buyout window requires arbitration.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

They can start applying LTIR to Ellis in the offseason if he qualifies. They just don't get the full benefit. So for example, let's ignore Ellis for the time being. Here are the assumptions I've made:

They choose York over Attard.
Brink doesn't start the year on time.
Grosenick as the backup.
Tippett at 2.5.
Allison at 2.
MacEwen at 1.

Don't get hung up on the RFA $. That's easily adjustable. Same goes for a slightly more expensive backup Goalie. Here's what we get:

image.png

That leaves them with 3.385 MM in cap space in this scenario. It's not quite this simple because it's a daily accumulation rather than a flat number and the bookkeeping would vary it slightly, but you get the idea. If we now account for Ellis as counting for LTIR, their LTIR pool would be Ellis (6.25) less their 3.385 in cap space for a pool of a pro-rated 2.865. So there are weird scenarios here where paying more on one year deals may end up better.

If both Ellis and Farabee aren't going on LTIR, then they need to do something. It's difficult to give you a hard answer without knowing the status of those two.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They have plenty of space. They don't need to do anything like a buyout or cap dump trade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The fact that they don't have to do anything with JVR makes a trade with retention more likely.
Once Kadri is off the market, who is left who is a credible offensive player?
Which means teams that need offense (especially PP scoring) will circle back.

Worse case is you keep JVR, and wait until a playoff team has an injury to a top six forward who they LTIR and now have cap room to pick up JVR for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The fact that they don't have to do anything with JVR makes a trade with retention more likely.

Well they still could blow everything I said up by signing or trading for a Goalie. Assuming 750k for that slot is....optimistic. I just didn't have any better options to use with Fedotov's status what it is.

There are just so many variables here that we have no idea where they stand. Fitting under with or without Ellis are different universes.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad