2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella is not the GM and has never acted as one. He is not a power-hungry prima donna. If Fletcher gives him old slop to choose from, he will pick from that pool. He can't order Fletcher to call guys up, and if I'm remembering he specifically said it's Fletcher's job to assess that and make calls.
No, he's not power hungry, but he's also adamant about playing the best players.
Now for him, the best players play the right way, but he has played 20 year old rookies over veterans, middle round picks over 1st rd picks, etc.
And he'll bench any player who sloughs off, makes too many mistakes, etc.

I think the reason most of his players love him despite his "my way or the highway" demeanor:
1) he actually gives a damn about them as people, that's been mentioned by numerous ex-players (and he rescues dogs :thumbu:)
2) he's honest and transparent and admits when he's wrong (the Hartnell story is a classic), though he can be stubborn to a fault
3) he doesn't play favorites

At this point Fletcher's future is tied to Torts, so he'll give him whatever he wants. Fletcher's not going to get to hire another HC.
And I'm sure they'll sit down together at the end of TC and decide who belongs to start the season.

I think this will be a transition season, with kids gradually being worked into the lineup to prepare them to compete for jobs next season - that was the pattern in CBJ.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

How much did Chuck Fletcher pay Jordan to write this article? :laugh:

For all the talk about Meltzer, who does have opinions (now and again, contradictory ones), Jordan Hall is the textbook definition of a shill. No one is a bigger mouthpiece than him. His only purpose is Comcast approved fluff pieces. It’s not analysis or opinion — it’s propaganda through and through. He even admitted on Twitter that he’s not a Flyers fan.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
what is going to be more fun this season.......watching the Flyers play "hockey", watching Torts "ranting" at the players and/or press, or the fun memes Captn' will come up with? Bettting on Captn'..........IF he decides to participate in the charade called Flyers Hockey........

1658187310892.png

Had to have an Audrey picture.........bad day.......

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nic Deslauires - 0.17PPG
Pat Maroon - 0.42PPG

I feel like Maroon’s offensive ability & skill level gets underscored oddly enough because people treat him as an example for a tougher player these days. Not realizing at his peak he probably was a legitimately solid second-third line player. He’s still a good bottom six today even at 34 years old.

But he was a big scorer in juniors & the AHL. He did have seasons in the NHL at 0.50PPG+. He’s actually shown throughout his career at different levels that he does have some legit offensive ability & skill.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nic Deslauires - 0.17PPG
Pat Maroon - 0.42PPG

I feel like Maroon’s offensive ability & skill level gets underscored oddly enough because people treat him as an example for a tougher player these days. Not realizing at his peak he probably was a legitimately solid second-third line player. He’s still a good bottom six today even at 34 years old.

But he was a big scorer in juniors & the AHL. He did have seasons in the NHL at 0.50PPG+. He’s actually shown throughout his career at different that he does have some legit offensive ability & skill.
Maroon was a head case, Flyers didn't dump him b/c of lack of talent, but some serious off ice issues.
Probably needed the shock to grow up.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, he's not power hungry, but he's also adamant about playing the best players.
Now for him, the best players play the right way, but he has played 20 year old rookies over veterans, middle round picks over 1st rd picks, etc.
And he'll bench any player who sloughs off, makes too many mistakes, etc.

I think the reason most of his players love him despite his "my way or the highway" demeanor:
1) he actually gives a damn about them as people, that's been mentioned by numerous ex-players (and he rescues dogs :thumbu:)
2) he's honest and transparent and admits when he's wrong (the Hartnell story is a classic), though he can be stubborn to a fault
3) he doesn't play favorites

At this point Fletcher's future is tied to Torts, so he'll give him whatever he wants. Fletcher's not going to get to hire another HC.
And I'm sure they'll sit down together at the end of TC and decide who belongs to start the season.

I think this will be a transition season, with kids gradually being worked into the lineup to prepare them to compete for jobs next season - that was the pattern in CBJ.

He played 20 year olds because they were available to him. They won't be available here. Fletcher will see to that. Deciding who is available is Fletcher's job. It's his roster. That's how GMing works.

If this is make or break for Fletcher then if anything he will be even more strict with roster makeup instead of trusting his fate fully to a new coach he's never worked with.

Tortorella does not domineer GMs. Nor is he an offensive mastermind. You've built up an image of Tortorella that just isn't real and I don't know how you intend to reconcile this image and reality as the inevitable plays out.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He played 20 year olds because they were available to him. They won't be available here. Fletcher will see to that. Deciding who is available is Fletcher's job. It's his roster. That's how GMing works.

If this is make or break for Fletcher then if anything he will be even more strict with roster makeup instead of trusting his fate fully to a new coach he's never worked with.

Tortorella does not domineer GMs. Nor is he an offensive mastermind. You've built up an image of Tortorella that just isn't real and I don't know how you intend to reconcile this image and reality as the inevitable plays out.
Torts isn't an offensive mastermind, and I've never suggested that.
He even admits he leaves the tactics to his assistant coaches.
He's a motivator who pushes an approach to playing the game, build on 200 foot pressure.
He demands his players are in top condition, play hard all the time, and put the team first.

Why would Fletcher force players on Torts that he doesn't want?
They'll evaluate the kids in TC, and keep tabs on the ones sent to LHV.
But players like Laczynski and Allison are unlikely to be sent down unless they belly flop in TC.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He showed up to camp fat and out of shape. Flyers made him who he is today by giving him a reality check. Give Maroon some credit he woke up. Wasn’t going to happen here.
There was more than that, he had some drinking issues, I think he got into a fight with a coach, other issues.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts isn't an offensive mastermind, and I've never suggested that.
He even admits he leaves the tactics to his assistant coaches.
He's a motivator who pushes an approach to playing the game, build on 200 foot pressure.
He demands his players are in top condition, play hard all the time, and put the team first.

Why would Fletcher force players on Torts that he doesn't want?
They'll evaluate the kids in TC, and keep tabs on the ones sent to LHV.
But players like Laczynski and Allison are unlikely to be sent down unless they belly flop in TC.

You argued for days that Tortorella is secretly an offensive guru and then cherry picked stats to try and prove it.

Fletcher makes the roster decisions. That's what GMs do. That's how it works across the league. It's his team. If they're they players Fletcher wants, that's what matters. Tortorella will make do with what's available. Coaches don't dictate GM moves.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
For all the talk about Meltzer, who does have opinions (now and again, contradictory ones), Jordan Hall is the textbook definition of a shill. No one is a bigger mouthpiece than him. His only purpose is Comcast approved fluff pieces. It’s not analysis or opinion — it’s propaganda through and through. He even admitted on Twitter that he’s not a Flyers fan.
Oh that guy is a certified idiot lol

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad