2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Look at everyone scramble to deflect from JVR's contract being a monumental hindrance.

If you want to piss on Chuck's contracts, you better at least acknowledge just how bad the JVR contract was and how much it boxed them in this summer.

It's only a monumental hindrance if you're bad at GMing. One year contracts aren't obstacles like this for other GMs.

Why are they for Chuck?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think it is the smartest choice, but considering we have already sunk assets to compete soon, then yes I do think acquiring a superstar would be the best choice for the given path Chuck has chosen. Let's not act like its Chuck's master plan to slowly build the team up, he clearly simply struck out on Gaudreau.

Teams can "demand" whatever they please. A good GM negotiates that price down, and uses my sales pitch like I gave in the previous post (Only 1 year left, flippable at the deadline, virtually a free 1st round pick, etc.) Given Chuck's track record of paying absolute premium prices in deals, it is not surprising that his negotiation skills are lacking.

But again, it was not even JVR's contract that was the issue. JVR's contract was the one being discussed because it is actually the most reasonably likely to be moved. There is zero chance anyone is going to take on Risto or Hayes' contracts, both signed by Fletcher, which are far more burdensome.
I actually think Chuck's plan is a a rebuild without tanking. If you listen to what he said in the mid-season press-conference with Dave Scott, it was pretty clear that's what he felt was needed.

And Hayes is still a valuable player. Very much so. To compare him to trying to dump JVR.... it just doesn't compute. Apples and oranges. Same with Risto. Still a useful 20 minute RH defender as much as this board hates him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yes, I'm annoyed. Apparently I'm the only one on this board with a modicum of faith.

The board contrarian, or the board optimist?

They have an 8-deep defense that is solid, and that's without Ellis.

Forwards? Regaining their top 2 centers who were hurt.

And a bunch of openings for young -- highly regarded prospects -- to step up. I mean, if you believed in Hextall's plan, now's the time for it to propel into full motion.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Hayes is not valuable if you really are trying to rebuild..unless you plan on trading him at the TDL...and if you were really trying to rebuild you wouldn't be up/over the cap

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I just don't get it. Frost was hyped to all hell here for years. And now that he's got a huge open roster spot, no one is talking about him, and the predictions are a bottom 5 team in the NHL. Are you admitting Frost sucks?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes, I'm annoyed. Apparently I'm the only one on this board with a modicum of faith.

And a bunch of openings for young -- highly regarded prospects -- to step up. I mean, if you believed in Hextall's plan, now's the time for it to propel into full motion.

Fletcher isn't following Hextall's plan. He's following his own plan, wherein he floods the team with horrible contracts and prevents prospects from playing. At the same time, he runs an anti-offense development program that ruins players.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I just don't get it. Frost was hyped to all hell here for years. And now that he's got a huge open roster spot, no one is talking about him, and the predictions are a bottom 5 team in the NHL. Are you admitting Frost sucks?

You really don't have to lie, you know.

That you feel you have to lie indicates you know your positions can't stand on their own.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I actually think Chuck's plan is a a rebuild without tanking. If you listen to what he said in the mid-season press-conference with Dave Scott, it was pretty clear that's what he felt was needed.

And Hayes is still a valuable player. Very much so. To compare him to trying to dump JVR.... it just doesn't compute. Apples and oranges. Same with Risto. Still a useful 20 minute RH defender as much as this board hates him.

That is fine if that is Chuck's plan. But he is executing it poorly. We have spent a lot of picks and cap the past 12 months to move laterally. Even if you want to argue Risto is a valuable player, his contract is terrible and the cost for him was too high. Hayes is a questionable 2C eating a ton of cap. Swapping Ghost for TDA was a waste of draft picks and cap space.

We are simply in a worse spot now than we were before the big Summer 2021 retool, all at the cost of cap and picks.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That is fine if that is Chuck's plan. But he is executing it poorly. We have spent a lot of picks and cap the past 12 months to move laterally. Even if you want to argue Risto is a valuable player, his contract is terrible and the cost for him was too high. Hayes is a questionable 2C eating a ton of cap. Swapping Ghost for TDA was a waste of draft picks and cap space.

We are simply in a worse spot now than we were before the big Summer 2021 retool, all at the cost of cap and picks.
We'll just go in circles again, so I won't re-engage. You know my thoughts.

I will say this -- TRADE WHATEVER THE F YOU HAVE FOR TKACHUK

Reactions: Redpath

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I'll bring a canopy.
red-birb.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Your head is buried so far in the sand that it's mere inches away from hitting bedrock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad