2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
"No one wanted the Florida pick" is questionable reporting.

Maybe no one was asking for it, of course teams would prefer our 2023 first, but that is what negotiating is for.

I find it very, very difficult to believe that no one would have been willing to take on a single year of JVR for virtually a free first round pack. Especially when JVR's actual salary is below his cap hit. Especially when JVR can still pitch in a few goals. Especially when JVR can get flipped at next year's deadline. It is more likely that Chuck was unable to successfully negotiate without coming across as desperate.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
"No one wanted the Florida pick" is questionable reporting.

Maybe no one was asking for it, of course teams would prefer our 2023 first, but that is what negotiating is for.

I find it very, very difficult to believe that no one would have been willing to take on a single year of JVR for virtually a free first round pack. Especially when JVR's actual salary is below his cap hit. Especially when JVR can still pitch in a few goals. Especially when JVR can get flipped at next year's deadline. It is more likely that Chuck was unable to successfully negotiate without coming across as desperate.
Negotiate what exactly? Take either pick from 24 but not the 23. They say no. End of story.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Negotiate what exactly? Take either pick from 24 but not the 23. They say no. End of story.

This line of thinking can be applied to any trade or negotiation. "They said no. Oh well!"

Fact is a good GM sometimes can pull a rabbit out of his hat and find a way to make thing work. Chuck didn't. And that is hardly surprising.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This line of thinking can be applied to any trade or negotiation. "They said no. Oh well!"

Fact is a good GM sometimes can pull a rabbit out of his hat and find a way to make thing work. Chuck didn't. And that is hardly surprising.
Theoretically you should be able to play the cap floor teams off against each other. Why wouldn’t Anaheim want JVR at $4m salary plus a 3rd? Except that they thought they could get more.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Is it good management that Fletcher has been too lazy to do anything about that glaring and obvious problem?

Because it's been overdue since 2012/2013.
It is pure incompetence across several GM's regimes. Not laziness.

Do you believe GM's are infallible?

Is preferring bad players to better players good management?
If your goal is to increase your odds of getting top pick yes 100%

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022

Oh you mean something else like attaching another player? I thought you just meant one of the firsts to me that is cut and dry.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
Theoretically you should be able to play the cap floor teams off against each other. Why wouldn’t Anaheim want JVR at $4m salary plus a 3rd? Except that they thought they could get more.
But they couldn’t get more. Dopey said no. So shouldn’t it be up to Anaheim to lower the request?

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Oh you mean something else like attaching another player? I thought you just meant one of the firsts to me that is cut and dry.

No, not even.

If you tell Seattle "We aren't giving you our 2023 1st, but the Florida 2024 1st is available with JVR" you should theoretically be able to sell them on why taking the Florida 1st is better than nothing at all, along with the benefit of adding JVR to flip him at the deadline, reach the cap floor, etc.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm sure there's at least one AHL team that would best the Flyers in a 7 game series.

The NHL needs relegation.
I keep thinking about how bad the 2018-2019 Flyers roster (assuming both teams are healthy and used in the optimal fashion) would annihilate this team.

That was when we were rebuilding. This roster is the result of three years of trying to compete now.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
No, not even.

If you tell Seattle "We aren't giving you our 2023 1st, but the Florida 2024 1st is available with JVR" you should theoretically be able to sell them on why taking the Florida 1st is better than nothing at all, along with the benefit of adding JVR to flip him at the deadline, reach the cap floor, etc.
I would think Ron Francis wouldn’t need or want a lecture from fletcher on what’s better for his team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Adding JG would just get us back to 2019-20, where we rode a dead cat bounce to the playoffs with G (32), Voracek (30), JVR (30), Niskanen (33), Braun (32), Raffl (31).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad