2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As a Colorado fan chiming in, I would've liked to keep NAK but he was eventually basically the 13th forward with not much impact in the playoffs. If the cap allowed it, sure. He played with pace and I liked him. But we are tight enough as it is with the cap.

At least he won't get to damage the cup in Toronto.

As a player, not someone you should cry about but maybe think about was he a guy that you really needed to throw over the boards?
Would you rather him, or MacEwen, Brown, Deslauriers(for 4 years at 1.75 per)

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would you rather him, or MacEwen, Brown, Deslauriers(for 4 years at 1.75 per)
Brown was impressive in the playoffs with Vegas the previous season, played better than NAK.
The others, just like NAK, yawn.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The others are a lot worse, actually.

Do you think preferring bad players to better players is good management?
Brown is more valuable than NAK, better playoff performer and can play center.

Deslauriers was traded for a 4th two years ago, and a 3rd at the TDL, while NAK had no takers at any point in his career, I'd say the league sees him as more valuable. Not 4x$1.75M valuable, but still a better asset.

MacEwen is a bigger, less skilled version of NAK, marginal 4RW. Played 55 games for Van before last season, so he's a bubble NHL player. I'd prefer NAK, but in either case I'd be looking to upgrade.

If this is something you can get excited about, you'd better get off your ass and get a life.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Friedman says Philly was JG's number one choice once he was definitely leaving Calgary, no doubt about it. But Friedman was told that Philly was never going to be in it.

They had guys available for trade like Provorov and TK but were getting under value offers because the team was so bad last season.

Confirms teams wanted the Flyers 2023 1st for JVR, not the Florida 2024 1st.

Management is basically banking on Torts working miracles.
So, on a board filled with pro-tankers, the Flyers refused to give up young players & 2023 1st rd picks.

What’s the complaint?

Reactions: Fotiu29 and renberg

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011

Deslauriers was traded for a 4th two years ago, and a 3rd at the TDL, while NAK had no takers at any point in his career, I'd say the league sees him as more valuable. Not 4x$1.75M valuable, but still a better asset.

MacEwen is a bigger, less skilled version of NAK, marginal 4RW. Played 55 games for Van before last season, so he's a bubble NHL player. I'd prefer NAK, but in either case I'd be looking to upgrade.

If this is something you can get excited about, you'd better get off your ass and get a life.
Deady, regardless of who you think is pulling the management strings, as a Flyers fan are you content with their current processes?

Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Just for fun

xGF%rel rank among 438 forwards with 300+ min at 5v5 last year...

NAK - 339th
Deslauriers - 396th
Brown - 399th
MacEwen - 421st
Thompson - 436th
So are you volunteering to do the scrub report next season? These guys should all be waiver fodder.
Dela is punishment for guys not embracing macewen.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Do you believe GM's are infallible?

Is preferring bad players to better players good management?

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deadly, regardless of who you think is pulling the management strings, as a Flyers fan are you content with their current processes?
No, I've pointed out the moves that I think were really bad, Deslauriers, Lindblom and Risto (twice).
The other moves to me are more meh, people get uptight b/c their favorites are gone, but that's sports.

A bigger problem is lack of direction, individually most of these moves aren't that bad, but they've been pretty much reactive, they dug a hole in 2018 by a "mandate for action," so they get a name HC (AV), sign Hayes (or Duchene) b/c Patrick is damaged goods, and a lot of what has happened until this summer stems from those initial decisions. I doubt things would have been much different under another GM b/c the FO has insisted on being competitive, which dictates short-term moves.

Niskanen retires - muddle for a year then trade for Ellis
AV HC - $15M left dictates he returns, Ghost is dumped and Voracek traded
Myers implodes - so lack of size and physicality leads to Risto.

We're lucky Fletcher didn't make the short-term move by making cap room to sign JG, right player three years early (look at Ottawa, built up a young team then brought in Giroux as a mentor). TDA doesn't really mortgage the future, the cost wasn't that high and if he doesn't implode under Torts, he could be either an anchor player or a valuable trade chip.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The bigger problem to me is the pro scouting, Flyers do pretty good in the draft, especially after the 1st rd, compared to most teams.
But they haven't found "hidden gems" for a decade other than PEB (Read was over a decade ago).
They should have a list of players with upside who are RFAs or end of camp waiver candidates and target them.
Nor have they nailed any overage or college unsigned FAs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The bigger problem to me is the pro scouting, Flyers do pretty good in the draft, especially after the 1st rd, compared to most teams.
But they haven't found "hidden gems" for a decade other than PEB (Read was over a decade ago).
They should have a list of players with upside who are RFAs or end of camp waiver candidates and target them.
Nor have they nailed any overage or college unsigned FAs.

Is it good management that Fletcher has been too lazy to do anything about that glaring and obvious problem?

Because it's been overdue since 2012/2013.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
G
Jake
Ghost

Patrick
Myers
Rubtsov
Freidman
Kubel
Bunnerman
Twarynski
Labarge
Obrien
Kalynuk
Stolarz

Who would of thought 5 years ago that the best players, by far, Chuck would get rid of were Clarke and Holmgren guys!

How ugly of a list are those high picks from the hextall era. And I liked lots of them!
Maybe lindblom cracks the mistake move on Hextall Picks?
Even provy looks like a bad pick. Topped out at 20 years old.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022
It gets uglier as you dig deeper…

16-18 -3 years. 16 picks 4th round or higher. 3 nhl players…Farabee, Frost, Hart.

5 years of drafting…3 years missing the playoffs and your best picks are:
Farabee
Sanheim
Hart
Konecney
Provorov

Not ONE needle mover…not one.
And now this debacle!

So far we know Hextall was a horror show with both drafting and nhl player evaluations. Now we gotta hope this dopes drafts aren’t nearly as bad. Because he’s proven to surpass hextalls talent evaluations of nhl players!

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Not sure if this was discussed hut 32TP

1. We were never fully in on Gaudreau. Teams only wanted 2023 first for JVR. No one wanted the Florida pick

2. We had lots of guys on market. Flyers didnt want to trade them because their values were low after after last year. Mentioned TK and Provy in partciular. Marek said they really wanted to see Provy with a new coach

3. Team thinks Torts is going to make a big difference in rebounding player value

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Deadly, regardless of who you think is pulling the management strings, as a Flyers fan are you content with their current processes?

fea16ceb-62db-4f96-960e-edf692a390f8_text.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad