Freidman
Kubel
Bunnerman
Twarynski
Labarge
Obrien
Kalynuk
Stolarz

Who would of thought 5 years ago that the best players, by far, Chuck would get rid of were Clarke and Holmgren guys!

How ugly of a list are those high picks from the hextall era. And I liked lots of them!
Maybe lindblom cracks the mistake move on Hextall Picks?
Even provy looks like a bad pick. Topped out at 20 years old.
Stolarz was drafted by Homer.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It really sounds like the Flyers were not in on Gaudreau, even if they could make room. Im convinced its bc hes not "their kind of player". Its not about cap, they just never wanted him.

No they were in on him. They just cant admit they failed so its easier to lie and say they werent interested. f***ing losers.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The only reason other GMs demanded a 2023 top 5-10 1st round pick (protections or not) for ONE year of a 25 goal scorer was because they know Fletcher is a doormat, always overpays, and he boxed himself into a corner with wasting cap space. That he shouldn't have given up that pick is ignoring the realities of why that was the demand and ignoring why it was never a binary decision, despite management trying to portray it as such.

The entirety of Gaudreau's contract is JVR 2 mil retention + Laughton + no Deslauriers. But that path actually takes creativity and effort, an emphasis on tangibles above intangibles, and is not the path of least resistance. I don't know what the cost of moving JVR at that price would be for a non-doormat, but I do know Laughton could easily balance it out or even yield a net positive. Subtracting the worst offensive forward in the NHL helps out as well. There's also Provorov or Konecny for quality futures to consider. No one should be gullible enough to believe it couldn't been done without the 2023 1st. And no one should be delusional enough to believe Chuckles didn't f*** himself.

Evergreen

Wonder how many the Flyers sold over last couple days with their big signings…

Landing Gaudreau is huge for the Blue Jackets franchise. That team hasn't been able to hang onto a superstar player since Rick Nash. And I'm absolutely certain the Flyers would have sold a lot more season tickets if they had been the ones signing Gaudreau.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only reason other GMs demanded a 2023 top 5-10 1st round pick (protections or not) for ONE year of a 25 goal scorer was because they know Fletcher is a doormat, always overpays, and he boxed himself into a corner with wasting cap space. That he shouldn't have given up that pick is ignoring the realities of why that was the demand and ignoring why it was never a binary decision, despite management trying to portray it as such.

The entirety of Gaudreau's contract is JVR 2 mil retention + Laughton + no Deslauriers. But that path actually takes creativity and effort, an emphasis on tangibles above intangibles, and is not the path of least resistance. I don't know what the cost of moving JVR at that price would be for a non-doormat, but I do know Laughton could easily balance it out or even yield a net positive. Subtracting the worst offensive forward in the NHL helps out as well. There's also Provorov or Konecny for quality futures to consider. No one should be gullible enough to believe it couldn't been done without the 2023 1st. And no one should be delusional enough to believe Chuckles didn't f*** himself.

AF6912DD-1240-4E3D-8D95-B68874EB43BD.jpeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, adding Gaudreau would not have made them the 6th best regular season team in 22-23.
It might, combined with the new HC "dead cat" bounce.
We see this all the time, the problem is sustaining those kinds of seasons.
If COVID hadn't come along they might have done so for another year, but the window was going to close in any case.

If Patrick was the real thing, if COVID doesn't come along and Niskanen keeps playing, if . . .

On one hand, I could totally see them doing this.

On the other, we know the Flyers are comfortable guaranteeing ice time regardless of level of play....
Who are "the Flyers?"
I thought HCs decide who they play (maybe not Yeo at the end of last season, but he was an interim HC where the GM wanted to audition prospects).

When has Torts guaranteed anything to a player?

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
Landing Gaudreau is huge for the Blue Jackets franchise. That team hasn't been able to hang onto a superstar player since Rick Nash. And I'm absolutely certain the Flyers would have sold a lot more season tickets if they had been the ones signing Gaudreau.
now, im really glad Gadreau didn't sign

for anything to change, the organization needs to be humiliated and hit rock bottom

I hope attendance plummets.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Plus watching Kessel and JVR fight over the last slice of postgame pizza would be the highlight of most game nights
You do know JvR is probably the biggest workaholic off the ice right? He's known for taking care of his body, being a gym rat, and focusing on nutrition...just because he's slow doesn't mean he doesn't take care of his body...

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
You do know JvR is probably the biggest workaholic off the ice right? He's known for taking care of his body, being a gym rat, and focusing on nutrition...just because he's slow doesn't mean he doesn't take care of his body...

You do know, it was just a joke. Learn to laugh, you’ll need a sense of humor to be a Flyers fan. Unless you get off on pain and suffering, which is cool, we don’t kink shame around here

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
He literally believes that JVR & Kessel are going to fight over a slice of pizza?

No that JvR is fat and out of shape. It's often said on this board and it's just not true.

He's overpaid and cooked. But he's one of the best guys off the ice - he's super involved in the community, he's one of the biggest work-out-aholics, he was involved in the NHLPA until this year. Pretty standup dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad