2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The funny part is the offseasons not over yet. We still have a TK for Josh Anderson or Lawson Crouse to look forward to.

Also...rememer when Clarke couldve signed Neidermyer in 2005 but instead signed Rathje and Hatcher bc, accordimg to him, 2D are better than one.

Let that sink in and tell me he doesnt have tremendous influence on this team.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I’m taking the stand. They’re going to be better than you think. Hover close to .500 until Farabee comes back, then keep getting better.
Most people aren't saying the team won't be better than last year, most people are saying that being a marginal .500 team after ten years of retooling with a maxed cap and no high end prospects is still a failure.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The funny part is the offseasons not over yet. We still have a TK for Josh Anderson or Lawson Crouse to look forward to.

Also...rememer when Clarke couldve signed Neidermyer in 2005 but instead signed Rathje and Hatcher bc, accordimg to him, 2D are better than one.

Not true.

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
Looked at the roster (and contracts) again.

It's not even that the roster is full of bad contracts for mediocre or awful players.

It's the staggering amount of assets that were sunk into this mess (draft picks, players, cap dollars).

After all of that, this f***ing roster is the result??

It's like Chuck is trying to get fired...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ASF had another Twitter space thing today. Unfortunately that Anthony Di Marco guy on with him. So I couldn’t go through the full thing. I gave up when both said they think Chuck made good moves when you look at them singularly (Ristolainen, DeAngelo, etc.) but the end results aren’t there so he deserves to be fired. I had enough at that point & had to click out. Plus it wasn’t letting me leave the Twitter app & still listen while going into others like it did the other nigh for whatever reason.

But ASF did say that Fletcher somehow convinced Scott this was the right path for next year. He sold them on injured players coming back & Tortorella being the key to getting them back in the playoff picture. So ASF said he’s still on the clock job security wise headed into next year. He said he was perplexed Fletcher would go this route. He said it’s probably better off for the franchise he didn’t trade the 5th overall or 2023 first rounder but he seriously doubts Chuck is here for that as he expects them to be bad & Fletcher to be fired around the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year’s time frame.

He did seem to paint a picture of friction within the front office. He didn’t mention names but he said there’s people in that building that are absolutely pissed at what Fletcher did this off-season & the current state of the team too.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Most people aren't saying the team won't be better than last year, most people are saying that being a marginal .500 team after ten years of retooling with a maxed cap and no high end prospects is still a failure.
They’re well set following this season.

This is not a Homer to Hexy situation.

Way more like a Clarke to Homer situation, where Clarke actually set them up for a great quick rebuild. Which Homer leveraged.

Personally, I’ve gotten past my Gaudreau dopamine lust. Realize it would be a bad contract. Not to mention they’d have to lose a 2023 first for the cap space.

No, believe it or not, Fletcher has made the right moves this summer. Didn’t panic.

He needs some youth to step up like they were supposed to. They do, this team isn’t bad.

ASF had another Twitter space thing today. Unfortunately that Anthony Di Marco guy on with him. So I couldn’t go through the full thing. I gave up when both said they think Chuck made good moves when you look at them singularly (Ristolainen, DeAngelo, etc.) but the end results aren’t there so he deserves to be fired. I had enough at that point & had to click out. Plus it wasn’t letting me leave the Twitter app & still listen while going into others like it did the other nigh for whatever reason.

But ASF did say that Fletcher somehow convinced Scott this was the right path for next year. He sold them on injured players coming back & Tortorella being the key to getting them back in the playoff picture. So ASF said he’s still on the clock job security wise headed into next year. He said he was perplexed Fletcher would go this route. He said it’s probably better off for the franchise he didn’t trade the 5th overall or 2023 first rounder but he seriously doubts Chuck is here for that as he expects them to be bad & Fletcher to be fired around the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year’s time frame.

He did seem to paint a picture of friction within the front office. He didn’t mention names but he said there’s people in that building that are absolutely pissed at what Fletcher did this off-season & the current state of the team too.
Makes me like Fletcher more. Stood firm against pressure for panic moves.

I really hope they start well & he’s vindicated.

HexyClarke

Jun 10, 2022

Didn’t he go to California because he wanted to play with his brother? Only reason he left NJ?

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’m the Lone Ranger on here. Flyers will be .500, see some young players step up, have cap room in the summer, & explode in 23/24.

Calling it now.

Reactions: Legion of Gloom

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

How many strikes does this guy get? Hopefully this is the last we see of him in the NHL

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I’m the Lone Ranger on here. Flyers will be .500, see some young players step up, have cap room in the summer, & explode in 23/24.

Calling it now.
They'd need to win 41 games in order to do that, and we will be icing a worse roster, I just don't see it, I mean good for you for thinking this way, however I don't see it

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fwiw I feel ASF’s sources are within the alumni who are involved with the team/front office just listening from him over the years now. So I do think you’re getting some spin from their end even if there’s some truth in it.

So while I think Fletcher is horrible at his job I do think these people are setting things in motion to save themselves if/when it goes completely off the rails.

I think in general when things go south this probably isn’t an uncommon thing to see happen. Finger pointing & people trying to distance themselves out of self-preservation.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Calling it now.
In my opinion the only thing that should save Fletcher's job is if this team makes the playoffs. He went too far in the other direction for me to accept him starting a rebuild all of a sudden.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it's going to go off the rails, Torts is too good a HC and I think he's returned because he loves coaching, he has the money, he has the Cup, at this point he'd retire if he didn't enjoy coaching (unlike our last HC).

I don't think Fletcher had a good offseason, mixed at best.
Risto was a TDL move, so at this point it's water under the bridge, can only beat the dead horse so much.

However:
1) cutting Lindblom, stupid, one year left, at worse you eat the $3M, at best he bounces back
2) signing Deslauriers period, much less a bad contract, there were more useful players out there Jarnkrok cost $2.1M, is a center and is a PK guy. While the Flyers are thin at LW, they need speed and snarl, not fighters.

Braun is fine at $1M, given Ellis is probably cooked, he becomes the veteran in the defensemen's room. And probably can be flipped at the TDL for a 4th (which I'll bet is his expectation, finish the year on a playoff team).

TDA is a gamble, a headcase but a really talented offensive player. Torts will either turn him into an elite player or kill him. But if you're rebuilding, you SHOULD be taking these kinds of gambles - Carolina went for the sure thing in Burns b/c they're a PO team.

Signing all the scrubs - LHV needs to make the Calder Cup playoffs, so some kids get a taste of playoff action before the get promoted to the NHL. It's fine to overpay to stock the AHL team, doesn't count against the Cap, and it's just Comcast's money.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In my opinion the only thing that should save Fletcher's job is if this team makes the playoffs. He went too far in the other direction for me to accept him starting a rebuild all of a sudden.
I don't think making the playoffs will be the metric, rather, showing that the arrow is pointing up, that the young players, especially his draft picks and acquisitions (Tippett, TDA, York, Brink, Attard, Foerster) are contributing or on the verge of contributing.

If they finish with 85 points but are a tough team to play against in the second half, garner some picks at the TDL and some young players start to emerge, that will buy a year b/c it's reasonable to expect Torts to have this team on its way in 2023-24.

If it's another shitshow, Fletcher is gone by the New Year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They’re making a point that they’re getting back to being the Flyers.

Deslauriers isn’t a horrible player. He’s a 10-15 point 4th liner. He moves well enough. He’s been used as a PKer. He hits.

And it’s worth $1.75M sending a message to your team that you’ve got (one of) the best fighter in the league. Having that kind of guy in your lineup DOES impact how the rest of the team plays. Tons of players have talked about it.

It’s a signal. We’re getting back to Flyers hockey. I’m sure plenty here hate it. I don’t. I’m looking forward to Torts barking, DeAngelo running around, Deslauriers fighting.

They've been getting back to being the Flyers for a decade, and in particular the last couple years.

Pretending it's not 2022 creates a shitty team

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

So much for Fletcher being the puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad