2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If I was Torts, I'd get really crazy with the line combos. "This is the shit you give me? OK, here's the line combos for the opener, douche."

Deslauriers Coots Brink
Farabee Cevin McEwen
Laughton Frost Atkinson
Konecny Brown Tippett

Provy Seeler
Sanheim York
Fisto MAGA
Farabee and Brink are injured and probably won’t be ready for the opener in October.

So the lineup could look worse.
Maybe stack Hayes on RW on Coots line.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Torts will have a problem with Deslauriers, MacEwen or Braun or Seeler.
They'll either contribute or sit.
If he has to play a "mucker" 4th line, they'll be real good muckers, or else.

Until the kids in LHV are ready to be promoted, the 4th line will have to be filled by someone.

JVR - Couts - TK
Laughton - Hayes - Atkinson
Cates - Frost - Tippett

So you have Deslauriers, Laczynski, Allison, Brown, MacEwen, Ratcliffe, WIllman, Hodgson, Sandin in the mix for the fourth line to start the season. That will be sorted out in TC. Once Farabee returns, either JVR is moved or Laughton ends up on the 4th line.

I doubt Foerster, Wisdom, Desnoyers, or Lycksell get more than a long look in camp, they'll want them in LHV to work on their game and their progress evaluated. Brink is probably out until January (he'll be in the AHL on his return). By the spring, if they progress, one or two may be starting on the 4th line.

Provorov - TDA
Sanheim - Risto
York - Braun
Zamula, Attard will either beat out Braun or start the season in the AHL, b/c Seeler is a better bet as the 7th D-man sitting in the press box. At some point they'll play ahead of Braun b/c I don't think he has 82 games left in him, though it'll help playing 15 minutes a night, like he did with the Rangers, instead of 20 minutes with the Flyers.

The roster in the spring could be significantly different, Torts will evaluate his team the first couple months, then push to dump guys he feels aren't playing the right way and can't be reached.

In some ways Torts is similar to AV and Lavi in pushing his teams and weeding out players who don't fit, but where they had veteran favorites, Torts has a history of giving everyone an equal shot, whether it's a top pick, a big money veteran or a 6th round nobody.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It might, combined with the new HC "dead cat" bounce.
We see this all the time, the problem is sustaining those kinds of seasons.
If COVID hadn't come along they might have done so for another year, but the window was going to close in any case.

If Patrick was the real thing, if COVID doesn't come along and Niskanen keeps playing, if . . .

Who are "the Flyers?"
I thought HCs decide who they play (maybe not Yeo at the end of last season, but he was an interim HC where the GM wanted to audition prospects).

When has Torts guaranteed anything to a player?

Dead cats don't bounce as much as you think. Trust me.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts is fundamentally different than AV.
AV took over a team with a veteran core in their peak years.
AV came here to win a Cup, when that became out of reach, he mailed it in and cocktail hour started at 5 PM.

Torts has his Cup, he has nothing to prove.
He burned out in CBJ after the GM basically gutted the team, at that point it became pointless.

Torts has built two teams with youth, TB and CBJ, so he knows the drill.
I doubt he came here thinking he was inheriting a good team.
So the first season is going to be more player evaluation and development for him. Get them to play the right way.
And that's how I see this season, after the chaos of the last two seasons, get a fair read on the young players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
AV came here to win a Cup, when that became out of reach, he mailed it in and cocktail hour started at 5 PM.

He burned out in CBJ after the GM basically gutted the team, at that point it became pointless.

So the first season is going to be more player evaluation and development for him. Get them to play the right way.
And that's how I see this season, after the chaos of the last two seasons, get a fair read on the young players.

Chuck has said, and his actions confirm this, that we will be playing less youth than last year.

So no, getting a read on the youth is not the point. Chuck is trying to contend, simple moron that he is

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

Not to disagree with you but you and many of us posters are trying to apply logic to the moves that the Flyers have been making over the last year or so. Truth of the matter is that that is a waste of time. They flail around like a fish when it is landed on the dock. It's getting to the point where if you want to know what they're going to do next, think of the dumbest thing possible and wait for it to happen.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I know i'm a little late to the race but that Frost signing is a shit of a job by his agent . If i"m Tippet , Allison , Laczynski etc ... there is know way in hell I would sign for that considering that they used up the saved cap space of Lindblom on completely inferior shit player with no upside . Frost and his agent are letting Fletcher off the hook .

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Allison and Laczynski have no NHL record to bargain with, and Frost wasn’t even arbitration eligible. Not sure you understand how this works.

Allison and Laczynski would happily take what Frost got because it’s a one way deal and with them being waiver exempt there’s a good chance they will be in the AHL making AHL salary if they just get their two-way QO.

Reactions: Flyerfan18

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison and Laczynski have no NHL record to bargain with, and Frost wasn’t even arbitration eligible. Not sure you understand how this works.

Allison and Laczynski would happily take what Frost got because it’s a one way deal and with them being waiver exempt there’s a good chance they will be in the AHL making AHL salary if they just get their two-way QO.

Yeah, poor Frost, he's only going to make a half million after taxes at 23 years old.
I'm heart broken for him.

Put up good numbers this year as the 3C and he'll get a nice two year bridge - because if I'm his agent I don't let him sign a long-term deal at this point given his upside.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers have decided to get back to basics.

Maybe I’m talking myself into it, but I think they’re taking the right approach.

No quick-fix glamour player like Gaudreau who’s teetering on an absolute albatross long-term contract.

No, this season is about rebuilding the team from the foundation up.

Fire, personality, attitude, fight, relentless work.

Torts will tear down the decaying frame of what’s left, & build it back up with his personality leading the way.

Attitude additions like DeAngelo & Deslauriers will help set the tone.

They’ve got youngsters with bite really close to breaking into the lineup.

There will be tons of roster competition.

This could actually be a fun season watching Torts reshape them, & seeing which kids make it & which don’t.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Attitude additions don't set the tone, Deslauriers would be far more effective at doing so if he was a fast, aggressive forechecker who was an elite PK guy than a slug with average speed and little skill - fighting is so passe. Smart teams don't fight, they taunt you into stupid penalties. And a top PK allows you to be more borderline aggressive, b/c you have the confidence you can kill penalties.

What sets the tone is playing hard for 60 minutes, it's not about chasing hits, it's about making hits in the flow of the game, which requires speed and good agility on your skates - if you're not skilled, at least be talented enough otherwise to harass the other team's skilled players. Big hits delivered late or out of position are worthless.

Guys like Laughton and Allison, and when they come up, Desnoyers and Wisdom, will set the tone with their on-ice play.

I agree that Torts is going to change the attitude, but not what the fossils think - Torts' teams don't rack up the penalty minutes because he can't abide stupid play (which is why NAK would have been history in any case, and MacEwen will be on thin ice). They skate hard for 200 feet and every shift and win the possession battles. They block shots and protect their goalies. They force turnovers and flip the ice.

So don't look for a lot of fights and shenanigans, that ain't the Torts way.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Attitude additions don't set the tone, Deslauriers would be far more effective if he was a fast, aggressive forechecker who was an elite PK guy than a slug with average speed and little skill - fighting is so passe. Smart teams don't fight, they taunt you into stupid penalties. And a top PK allows you to be more borderline aggressive, b/c you have the confidence you can kill penalties.

What sets the tone is playing hard for 60 minutes, it's not about chasing hits, it's about making hits in the flow of the game, which requires speed and good agility on your skates - if you're not skilled, at least be talented enough otherwise to harass the other team's skilled players. Big hits delivered late or out of position are worthless.

Guys like Laughton and Allison, and when they come up, Desnoyers and Wisdom, will set the tone with their on-ice play.
They’re making a point that they’re getting back to being the Flyers.

Deslauriers isn’t a horrible player. He’s a 10-15 point 4th liner. He moves well enough. He’s been used as a PKer. He hits.

And it’s worth $1.75M sending a message to your team that you’ve got (one of) the best fighter in the league. Having that kind of guy in your lineup DOES impact how the rest of the team plays. Tons of players have talked about it.

It’s a signal. We’re getting back to Flyers hockey. I’m sure plenty here hate it. I don’t. I’m looking forward to Torts barking, DeAngelo running around, Deslauriers fighting.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deslauriers is replacement level, at best you give him a 1x1 deal. You could find someone much better in FA with a 4x1.75M deal.
He's average speed, no skill, marginal PK guy. PEB cost less his whole career and is far better.

Fighting mattered two decades ago, now players just skate away and laugh, and hope the fool jumps them and draws a 5 minute penalty. Toughness is today's game is more about not shying away from being hit, blocking shots, going into the corner after the puck.

Flyers' hockey is dinosaur hockey, fortunately, it ain't Torts hockey.

Top hitters in CBJ
2015-16: Dubinsky 235, Jenner 213, Foligno 152, Hartnell 131; Prout D 139, Tyutin D 128, Savard D 122
2016-17: Dubinsky 248, Jenner 216, Foligno 157, Anderson 147; Savard 127
2017-18: Jenner 205, Foligno 182, Dubinsky 145, Dubois 127, Anderson 109; Savard 144, J Johnson 101
2018-19: Anderson 214, Foligno 175, Jenner 158, Dubinsky 147, Dubois 115; Savard 122, Jones 106

compare to the Flyers last year
Risto 230, MacEwen 159, Laughton 151, Brown 100 (44g)

D-men don't rack up the hits for Torts, they're supposed to play D, not head hunt, Risto is in for a culture shock
4th line forwards aren't hit leaders, it's the top 9 forwards who are expected to bring the edge on the forecheck.

And his teams don't commit penalties: PIM leaders
2015-16: Hartnell 112, Prout 102, Campbell 78, Jenner 77, Dubinsky 71
2016-17: Dubinsky 91, Anderson 89, Hartnell 63
2017-18: Foligno 50, Dubois 49, Anderson 42, Jenner 39
2018-19: Dubois 64, Anderson 60, Foligno 44, Jenner 42

His lines are a mixture of skilled "smurfs" and full sized physical forwards with good speed.
Laughton, Allison, Cates, Tippett are good fits, Gauthier, Desnoyers, Wisdom, maybe Foerster if he improves his skating.
Hayes and JVR will be expected to skate harder and play more physical.
Guys like Atkinson, TK, Frost won't be expected to fill that role.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What is the 30th pick in the first round about?

I think JVR would be gone if teams were taking the Florida 1st.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’m taking the stand. They’re going to be better than you think. Hover close to .500 until Farabee comes back, then keep getting better.

Reactions: Legion of Gloom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad