2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So as our percentages of winning the Cup go up...

I can't help but to think if that actually happens, it destroys this team long term. It'll be another decade plus of failure for the following reasons:

- Dundon goes "Ha! Well, that was easy, did it on year one with the lowest salary" and then moves on to his other life priorities. Team is either relocated or ignored.
- Svechnikov goes all Eric Staal, figuring since he's already got his cup, why not just skate around all lazy during the regular season- never develops into the superstar he can be
- Brindy takes his foot off the gas
- Wadell becomes like Adolph Hitler after the invasion of France in 1940, convinced of his own genius, and thinks "addition by subtraction" is the key to victory, routinely trades away good players for nothing, etc.
- The fair weather fanbase that has now been fired up, comes back next year only to have its ass handed to it and is crushed with disappointment, because they are like "well, that was easy".

So, as much as I'd be so proud of Brindy and this group winning it all, I think the best outcome is them making it to the cup round and coming up just short- it would make us happy, it would keep the owner and GM adding to the team for long term success, and keeps the boys hungry. I don't want to endure another decade in the wilderness, I want to see this team in the post season year after year.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I could also suggest a year of the pig shirt. Since it actually is the year of the pig in the Chinese calendar. If that isn’t a sign I don’t know what is. Also Hamilton is a ****ing boss.

Year of the Pig 2019 Playoffs Tee

Was in the process of checking out until I got hit with $12 shipping.... $12?! To send a $30 t-shirt 120 miles down I40?

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So as our percentages of winning the Cup go up...

I can't help but to think if that actually happens, it destroys this team long term. It'll be another decade plus of failure for the following reasons:

- Dundon goes "Ha! Well, that was easy, did it on year one with the lowest salary" and then moves on to his other life priorities. Team is either relocated or ignored.
- Svechnikov goes all Eric Staal, figuring since he's already got his cup, why not just skate around all lazy during the regular season- never develops into the superstar he can be
- Brindy takes his foot off the gas
- Wadell becomes like Adolph Hitler after the invasion of France in 1940, convinced of his own genius, and thinks "addition by subtraction" is the key to victory, routinely trades away good players for nothing, etc.
- The fair weather fanbase that has now been fired up, comes back next year only to have its ass handed to it and is crushed with disappointment, because they are like "well, that was easy".

So, as much as I'd be so proud of Brindy and this group winning it all, I think the best outcome is them making it to the cup round and coming up just short- it would make us happy, it would keep the owner and GM adding to the team for long term success, and keeps the boys hungry. I don't want to endure another decade in the wilderness, I want to see this team in the post season year after year.

I dunno, I think I’ll take my chances winning the Cup instead of “not winning the Cup so that we have a slightly better chance of winning the Cup sometime in the future.”

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Was in the process of checking out until I got hit with $12 shipping.... $12?! To send a $30 t-shirt 120 miles down I40?

You should see what they want to ship one to Canada. Costs more than the shirt. As much as I want one I’m not going to pay $100 (CAD) for a T-shirt. Was actually pretty disappointed in the team for not finding better shipping options.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I mean, yeah there's that, but not sure I can take a repeat of another decade of what we just went thru.

I agree.

My disagreement is with the notion that winning a Cup necessarily leads to that. We made it to the Conference Finals 3 years after our last Cup. More importantly, we were at a completely different point in our “window” without a GM with an exclusively “win now” mentality.

We acquired no one at the trade deadline this year and have 3 picks in the 20-40 range at this upcoming draft. We have not mortgaged the future for this run, this is merely a fun, ahead of schedule surprise.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I agree.

My disagreement is that winning a Cup necessarily leads to that. We made it to the Conference Finals 3 years after our last Cup. More importantly, we were at a completely different point in our “window” with a GM with an exclusively “win now” mentality.

We acquired no one at the trade deadline this year and have 3 picks in the 20-40 range at this upcoming draft. We have not mortgaged the future for this run, this is merely a fun, ahead of schedule surprise.

You don't think Dundon goes "Welp, another life goal achieved, what's next?" after a cup? I'd like to think he goes "time for a North Carolina Dynasty", but given the nature of the man's business model, IDK...

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
8BEFC65F-366C-4030-81C3-B6409E4C89B2.jpeg

This is hard to handle.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You don't think Dundon goes "Welp, another life goal achieved, what's next?" after a cup? I'd like to think he goes "time for a North Carolina Dynasty", but given the nature of the man's business model, IDK...

I’m not really sure what demotivated Dundon would do to ruin this. Trading every player for a 7th round pick requires effort and downright ire. I don’t think a Cup would suddenly make him hate the team. If it is in fact “life goal achieved”, he’d just take a step back and let the people he hired run the team. I doubt he’ll say “well now that we’ve got a Cup, let me ruin the team out of spite.”

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I’m not really sure what demotivated Dundon would do to ruin this. Trading every player for a 7th round pick requires effort and downright ire. I don’t think a Cup would suddenly make him hate the team. If it is in fact “life goal achieved”, he’d just take a step back and let the people he hired run the team. I doubt he’ll say “well now that we’ve got a Cup, let me ruin the team out of spite.”

No, I don't think he'd deliberately ruin the team- just continue to think that being 31st in spending is just fine and that he doesn't need to add anything to it, which I think puts us into another death spiral like after 2009. Lets face it- this is kind of a "lightning in a bottle" type playoff run, as it always has been, but the team needs to continue to add after this spring.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No, I don't think he'd deliberately ruin the team- just continue to think that being 31st in spending is just fine and that he doesn't need to add anything to it, which I think puts us into another death spiral like after 2009. Lets face it- this is kind of a "lightning in a bottle" type playoff run, as it always has been, but the team needs to continue to add after this spring.

I can see starting to think “I turned a sad sack NHL franchise into a Stanley Cup Champion in 1.5 years, this is the way we operate,” but based on what we’ve seen so far I would guess he would continue to do the excellent things that got us here, decision making processes and whatnot. And we don’t really have a choice but to spend more starting next year anyway, unless he wants to not re-sign Aho.

To be frank I get your concerns but I think when it comes to the health of a franchise a Stanley Cup trumps most things. I see him as more of a “sustainability” guy than a Cup chaser anyway, so I think we are safe from a JR-esque emptying of the cupboards.

The real test of his ownership is whether he is smart enough to write Tulsky a blank check. If he does, as @Navin R Slavin mentioned elsewhere, I think our talent assessment will continue to be top notch which should ultimately lead to sustainability regardless of whether we’re a cap team.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I dont know why that cant be the same thing.

Who let in Hanibal Lector?

At the risk of repeating myself, we have 5 picks in the Top 100 of the next two drafts. That can and will help build a sustainable winner.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He might come to those conclusions even if we fall just short like you suggested would be better. So you take the Cup and run if you can get it. Worry about the rest later. And even if we spend at the bottom of the league going forward, if we have the right people in place, there's no reason to miss 9 straight years. It remains to be seen if all the good signs we've seen means we have the right people in place, or if we caught lightning in a bottle as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad