2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
i didn't really follow closely at all, but wasn't Bettman and co a big part of the reason the Islanders have to play in Barclays for the rest of the postseason? if that's true, that's an odd way of supporting them lol

The idea that Bettman would intervene to help the Islanders in the series was a joke, dude. The last time he had an active rooting interest in them was 27 years ago in 1992. And Barclays is the far better option for the corporate box and sponsor crowd where the bulk of money in sports comes from these days.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The Canes are going to be the Team of Destiny this year. I've actually kind of known this ever since last fall when I agreed to go on a deployment to Bulgaria for the month of June.

I usually try to avoid long trips in the spring in case, well, you know...but as soon as I couldn't avoid one, I thought to myself "Watch...They'll turn it around this year and you'll leave just in time to miss them winning the cup"

I don't suppose there is any chance the finals can be over prior to 4 June? I mean the 2nd round is almost halfway done and its not even May yet.

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
The Canes are going to be the Team of Destiny this year. I've actually kind of known this ever since last fall when I agreed to go on a deployment to Bulgaria for the month of June.

I usually try to avoid long trips in the spring in case, well, you know...but as soon as I couldn't avoid one, I thought to myself "Watch...They'll turn it around this year and you'll leave just in time to miss them winning the cup"

I don't suppose there is any chance the finals can be over prior to 4 June? I mean the 2nd round is almost halfway done and its not even May yet.
Where in Bulgaria? Sofia?

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The idea that Bettman would intervene to help the Islanders in the series was a joke, dude. The last time he had an active rooting interest in them was 27 years ago in 1992. And Barclays is the far better option for the corporate box and sponsor crowd where the bulk of money in sports comes from these days.
The Isles ownership wants to play at the Coliseum full time until Belmont opens and never play at Barclays ever again. Bettman and the other owners blocked them because of the revenue as you pointed out. Here's the problem: Scott Malkin is willing to sacrifice short term revenue to build a STH base so that when Belmont opens they have that base. He is using long term thinking. The league thinks in the short term and is just interested in making the quick buck: penny wise and pound foolish.

Reactions: Unsustainable

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When you see it..
FB_IMG_1556593933933.jpg

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut

At the same time many many others will be in Hungary and Romania.

Reactions: Unsustainable

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Are these playoffs going to get teams to move in a different direction?
The headline centers/wingers are mostly out: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kucherov. Even Stone who is often considered the most underrated forward wasn't enough to get VGK into the 2nd. Yet outside of Nashville, the headline D-men are on teams still in the playoffs. In fact, it can be argued that some combination of top D-men (San Jose, Columbus, Carolina) or a defense-first system (NYI, Dallas) has led to success.
I am not saying it is only about defense, perhaps more emphasis on two-way play. Four of the five teams with lowest goals against during the regular season are still alive. The best two-way centers (Bergeron and ROR) or defensive centers (Faksa, Staal, Cizikas) have fared better than players who led the league in scoring. In fact Marchand and MacKinnon are the only players from the top 15 in scoring still playing.
I suspect this is mostly coincidence. But not entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad