2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lucic and Zaitsev have contracts that are too long to take as cap dumps. I'd want salary retention as part of any trade to take Zaitsev and of course the Leafs want to free as much cap space as possible so I don't know whether or not there's a sensible deal to be made there.

you would expect a big incentive to take on a load like lucic or zaitsev free and clear. i am all about the incentives, not those players. therefore, i would not water it down seeking retention or other half measures.

i think we are in as good a position as any team in the league to take on lucic and minimize the consequences given this is his hometown. if we bail him out of edmonton and bring him home to end his career then, between that favour, and the home town peer scrutiny he will be under, i would expect him to play hard for us, give us a few memorable fights, waive his nmc for expansion, and then fully cooperate on a ltir solution to finish out his contract.

so, if the incentive is big enough, why not?

as for zaitsev, that only makes sense if you think he can be a useful piece and you also like the incentive. to me it's a much bigger gamble than lucic. i am not a good enough pro scout to take it, but if you have the cajones to trust your scouts, why not?

whatever the final terms, the common denominator is that we can extract a sweetener for any of these contracts, and the sweetener in turn can be packaged for a larger return.

realistically, we should be focussed on adding key pieces this offseason or trolling the discount bins. we should not be wasting assets on stop gap measures. i don't see us acquiring key pieces with the assets we can offer unless we add our own future key pieces. thus it makes sense to me to take on one of these cap dumps if it gets us an asset that allows us to grab someone we really want.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Like, you give Brock two years or you give him eight, but almost nothing in between makes any sense. Why would you sign a long term deal that doesn't buy out any UFA years?

i am perfectly ok with taking him 5 years to ufa for a discount. he's a sniper and, as a rule, snipers burn out early, so we likely get his best years. there are reasons to think boeser might last (he has a natural heavy shot physique rather than a trick release, and he also seems to slow the game down), but i would never bet on a shooter being an impact player past thirty. so, at the ufa point, we either gladly pay market for him or we whistfully say goodbye at the tdl before.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i am perfectly ok with taking him 5 years to ufa for a discount. he's a sniper and, as a rule, snipers burn out early, so we likely get his best years. there are reasons to think boeser might last (he has a natural heavy shot physique rather than a trick release, and he also seems to slow the game down), but i would never bet on a shooter being an impact player past thirty. so, at the ufa point, we either gladly pay market for him or we whistfully say goodbye at the tdl before.

27 and 31 are very different ages.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
you would expect a big incentive to take on a load like lucic or zaitsev free and clear. i am all about the incentives, not those players. therefore, i would not water it down seeking retention or other half measures.

i think we are in as good a position as any team in the league to take on lucic and minimize the consequences given this is his hometown. if we bail him out of edmonton and bring him home to end his career then, between that favour, and the home town peer scrutiny he will be under, i would expect him to play hard for us, give us a few memorable fights, waive his nmc for expansion, and then fully cooperate on a ltir solution to finish out his contract.

so, if the incentive is big enough, why not?

as for zaitsev, that only makes sense if you think he can be a useful piece and you also like the incentive. to me it's a much bigger gamble than lucic. i am not a good enough pro scout to take it, but if you have the cajones to trust your scouts, why not?

whatever the final terms, the common denominator is that we can extract a sweetener for any of these contracts, and the sweetener in turn can be packaged for a larger return.

realistically, we should be focussed on adding key pieces this offseason or trolling the discount bins. we should not be wasting assets on stop gap measures. i don't see us acquiring key pieces with the assets we can offer unless we add our own future key pieces. thus it makes sense to me to take on one of these cap dumps if it gets us an asset that allows us to grab someone we really want.

I agree with your last paragraph. All I'm saying is that the Canucks hole-card is cap space right now, not cap space 2+ years from now. And generally, even teams like Arizona have limited the cap dump contracts to 3 years. I'd prefer the Canucks not to take on any substantial obligation on a bad or potentially bad contract beyond the next 2 seasons. When Pettersson and Hughes have to be re-signed in 2021, the days of having lots of cap room are likely gone.

As MS pointed out, Lucic has missed very few games in his career-- thus the Canucks couldn't really bank on sloughing him onto LTIR at some point.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So they are going to sign 33 year old Edler to some stupid contract, give Brock a deal that buys no UFA years but takes him right to UFA, and trade for Lucic?

Amazing. I might have actually underestimated their stupidity.
You are doing this wrong, they are going to:
*sign Brock for 4 years - lose him as a UFA
* sign EDLER for 5 years with a NMC and lose Stecher to Seattle
* give EDM a 2nd to trade for Lucic
*trade the 10th for Zaitsev
*2020 first for RISTOLAINEN

Reactions: sting101

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I agree with your last paragraph. All I'm saying is that the Canucks hole-card is cap space right now, not cap space 2+ years from now. And generally, even teams like Arizona have limited the cap dump contracts to 3 years. I'd prefer the Canucks not to take on any substantial obligation on a bad or potentially bad contract beyond the next 2 seasons. When Pettersson and Hughes have to be re-signed in 2021, the days of having lots of cap room are likely gone.

As MS pointed out, Lucic has missed very few games in his career-- thus the Canucks couldn't really bank on sloughing him onto LTIR at some point.

if we acquire him, i expect lucic to start missing random games due to back issues by mid season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You are doing this wrong, they are going to:
*sign Brock for 4 years - lose him as a UFA
* sign EDLER for 5 years with a NMC and lose Stecher to Seattle
* give EDM a 2nd to trade for Lucic
*trade the 10th for Zaitsev
*2020 first for RISTOLAINEN

but on the bright side, at least we will finally win the lottery next year!

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
but on the bright side, at least we will finally win the lottery next year!
That would be a classic Canucks move :) even more hilarious would be that BUFF would have our first overall seeing as they stole our first in our inaugural season!

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
i wonder if that has anything to do with edmonton letting it out they are hot for broberg. seems like a trap.
Man I could see the home crowd booing this, but I was thinking the same thing.

There’s talk that Chicago and Colorado are targeting centres, maybe they’re moving up for Byram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad