2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Out of boredom here's the 6th oa vs 10 and 40 from 2000 to 2016 (ignored last couple years because we don't know much yet)

tkachuk jost & morrison
zacha rantanen & meloche
virtanen ritchie & englund
monahan nichushkin & elie
lindholm koekkoek & blujus
zibanejad brodin & khokhlachev
connolly mcilrath & thomas
oel paajarvi & lander
filatov hodgson & ness
gagner ellerby & repik
brassard frolik & fiala (ondrej)
brule bourdon & sauer
montoya valabik & lewis
michalek kostitsyn & urguhart
upshall nystrom & globke
m koivu blackburn & tyutin
hartnell yakubov & foster

It's as flawed an analysis as you'll find, but it would still have me leaning heavily towards 6oa.

Edit - My attempt at formatting failed. Enjoy the word salad.

nice job but use oxford commas next time.

my unscientific take is that if you take a forward at 6th you are almost guaranteed an nhl middle six in his prime player as your floor. by tenth, you have a decent chance at a complete miss or a replacement level player.

there is no safe place to grab a dman.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Tanev on the block (Sekeres)....May as well get something for him while we still can.
Hello to 2 years ago when he had value. They could have moved him any of the last 4 seasons where they weren't close to a playoff spot. Instead, like Sutter, he didn't make up his mind and now won't get value. Who could have seen this coming though right?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I gotcha but you also have a potential top-4 D on an ELC (Byram) rather than going out and spending $7-8M to sign Gardiner or Myers. Byram (cheap) and Seabrook (expensive) balance out IMO.

Sure, but that's still 8 million for two players that will hopefully be a 2nd and 3rd pairing for those years - and that's the optimistic version that Byram is able to step right into a top four role and Seabrook is still a capable bottom-pairing guy.

I'll say this though - it would the most creative and ballsy move Benning has made so I would give him that. I just wonder if there isn't a better way to do it, possibly by gaining assets in a Lucic/Eriksson swap as well as a Marleau trade/buyout and then moving assets to trade up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Out of boredom here's the 6th oa vs 10 and 40 from 2000 to 2016 (ignored last couple years because we don't know much yet)

tkachuk jost & morrison
zacha rantanen & meloche
oel paajarvi & lander
filatov hodgson & ness
gagner ellerby & repik
brule bourdon & sauer
montoya valabik & lewis
upshall nystrom & globke

It's as flawed an analysis as you'll find, but it would still have me leaning heavily towards 6oa.

Yup. Historically 6 for 10 and 40 is a deal you absolutely do. It would cost a lot more than that, however.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If we sign Boeser for anything less than 7 years I’ll be disappointed.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

tkachuk jost & morrison
zacha rantanen & meloche
oel paajarvi & lander
filatov hodgson & ness
gagner ellerby & repik
brule bourdon & sauer
montoya valabik & lewis
upshall nystrom & globke

Not nearly enough data points, which I give you credit for referencing in your post. Better would be to take all the picks from 4 to 9 and 35 to 45 and average it all out. Some people have done regression analyses on the matter.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sure, but that's still 8 million for two players that will hopefully be a 2nd and 3rd pairing for those years - and that's the optimistic version that Byram is able to step right into a top four role and Seabrook is still a capable bottom-pairing guy.

I'll say this though - it would the most creative and ballsy move Benning has made so I would give him that. I just wonder if there isn't a better way to do it, possibly by gaining assets in a Lucic/Eriksson swap as well as a Marleau trade/buyout and then moving assets to trade up.

Well, *hopefully* Byram works his way up to a TOP pair D quite quickly, as in 2-3 years. I believe he has that potential and I would assume the Canucks do too or else they don't make that move. Seabrook is in a depth/mentorship role at that point and isn't really relevant (other than the cap hit). I do this entirely for Byram and no other reason. He is the best D I've watched in the WHL in recent years and if we can get that for just the #10 and a cap hit, I do it every day and twice on Sundays. You can work with the ensuring cap problems by simply getting rid of / stop accumulating crap like Sutter ($4.4), Beagle ($3) , Spooner ($3.1), Hutton (don't re-sign), etc. That's the bigger cap issue IMO compared to taking a hit to acquire an elite prospect.

Reactions: m9 and DonnyNucker

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Hello to 2 years ago when he had value. They could have moved him any of the last 4 seasons where they weren't close to a playoff spot. Instead, like Sutter, he didn't make up his mind and now won't get value. Who could have seen this coming though right?

A day late and a dollar short yet again...

Prime time to trade tanev was a couple years ago when he still had value and we SHOULD have been rebuilding and collecting assets. Instead, benning stupidly gunned for the playoffs and failed miserably.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
He better not cave. No NMC and MAX 3 years. I’ll be pissed if it’s over 2
Right now Tanev , Hutton and Stetcher would be the ones protected in the ED but if Tanev is traded then Edler can be signed and protected in the ED and we will not bleed assets by losing Edler for nothing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if byram is that good he won't make it to 3rd. i am sure gms are noticing that heskainen and makar are both looking better than the guys who went ahead of them right now.

maybe we trade up to 3 to get byram but he goes at 2nd and then hughes drops to us, but we don't actually want him but we have to take him.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
5 yrs, 7mil (if that’s what the report is) for Boeser is a good deal considering the money being thrown around .

I suspect it’s his Agent and not the team who doesn’t want the long term deal.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Right now Tanev , Hutton and Stetcher would be the ones protected in the ED but if Tanev is traded then Edler can be signed and protected in the ED and we will not bleed assets by losing Edler for nothing.

i don't imagine it will look that way by expansion but it would be amusing if we fought edler to not give him a 3 year nmc and then protected him anyway.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Bleeding assets by losing Edler for nothing is flawed logic. He is a UFA and should be compared to any other UFA when deciding to sign him. Special clauses such as a NMC come with a price and must also be considered. Right now we probably want to protect Stecher and Juolevi and no one else. Doesn’t mean that this won’t change and having a free protection slot has value as other teams with more defensive assets may unload a player at a discount

Reactions: lindgren

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
if byram is that good he won't make it to 3rd. i am sure gms are noticing that heskainen and makar are both looking better than the guys who went ahead of them right now.

maybe we trade up to 3 to get byram but he goes at 2nd and then hughes drops to us, but we don't actually want him but we have to take him.

Well you can’t make that assessment without factoring in how good Hughes and Kakko are. And we do consider Quinn Hughes a potential top pair D, no? We drafted him 7th behind a pair of C’s that are well below Hughes and a pair of wingers well below Kakko.

So I disagree that my assessment of Byram would put him at the top of this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad