2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On the topic of Vanek - I wonder how much he would want on a one year deal. He did good on Boeser’s wing and actually seemed to be a decent veteran presence for him. Would likely be cheap. Just no trade value at all.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Anyone else have this fear that Benning will go full Benning and trade Boeser for Ristolainen or something like that? I just have this feeling I’m going to get an alert about a ridiculous trade by Benning some time this week.
No. Zero fear. It’s very clear that boeser, Hughes, Elias, and Horvat are untouchable. That being said, it’s a safe bet that he will do something stupid on July 1

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Anyone else have this fear that Benning will go full Benning and trade Boeser for Ristolainen or something like that? I just have this feeling I’m going to get an alert about a ridiculous trade by Benning some time this week.
I definitely could see him making a dumb trade. Don’t think it would be boeser but I worry about our 1st round pick this year and next!!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Feels like a weird market correction going on now. Elite players like the Crosby's and McDavid's sign their big contracts, and then you have a league culture where everyone says x can't possible make more than Crosby/McDavid/etc. So the cap goes up but the elite players compensation are slow to rise with it giving teams more cap space to play with. There's only so many good players so it has to be spent somewhere, and right now it's going to the middle tier players.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It seems Benning is caught up in his old tricks. He’s targeting overpriced, late twenties players with size who never could fully figure it out. I just wish we had a savvy GM who was looking at teams who are in a cap squeeze and tried to get creative. Take a cap dump to get another 1st, call the sharks and ask how the hell theyre going to sign Labanc then make them an offer for him, call the Leafs about Nylander, make a smart deal for Colin Miller rather than overpay Myers, etc. I’m just spit balling but man it’s as if Benning seas UFAs as the only way to improve. The reality is we should have tons of options because of our cap space.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Sensitive Baby Thread

I hope Benning goes full Nonis and does nothing July 1.

If Edler walks, trade anyone that’s not young core (Tanev, Sutter, the junk) for picks and watch some free wheeling kids get scored on to finish near last and get the team a nice high pick.

Draft defence with any pick after 20 and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

Benning is not going to improve the team through FA or trade.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
It seems Benning is caught up in his old tricks. He’s targeting overpriced, late twenties players with size who never could fully figure it out. I just wish we had a savvy GM who was looking at teams who are in a cap squeeze and tried to get creative. Take a cap dump to get another 1st, call the sharks and ask how the hell theyre going to sign Labanc then make them an offer for him, call the Leafs about Nylander, make a smart deal for Colin Miller rather than overpay Myers, etc. I’m just spit balling but man it’s as if Benning seas UFAs as the only way to improve. The reality is we should have tons of options because of our cap space.

Agree with using the cap space to take on bad short-term contracts, but I'd be taking the cap dump to get someone like Kapanen or Miller rather than a draft pick. A few teams are in a situation where not only do they have to dump an obviously overpaid guy but they also can't keep or sign some guys who aren't necessarily overpaid or in line for overpayment, but aren't among the most vital players and thus are expendable under the circumstances. This is a good year to skim a useful roster player.

Reactions: Love

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Agree with using the cap space to take on bad short-term contracts, but I'd be taking the cap dump to get someone like Kapanen or Miller rather than a draft pick. A few teams are in a situation where not only do they have to dump an obviously overpaid guy but they also can't keep or sign some guys who aren't necessarily overpaid or in line for overpayment, but aren't among the most vital players and thus are expendable under the circumstances. This is a good year to skim a useful roster player.

Totally agree and I hope we capitalize on this but I doubt it.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Sensitive Baby Thread

I hope Benning goes full Nonis and does nothing July 1.

If Edler walks, trade anyone that’s not young core (Tanev, Sutter, the junk) for picks and watch some free wheeling kids get scored on to finish near last and get the team a nice high pick.

Draft defence with any pick after 20 and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

Benning is not going to improve the team through FA or trade.

How amazing an off season this would be; but benning is in save his job mode so it won’t be happening.

If benning did the right thing and didn’t take on a stupid contract or sign one and goes down with the ship for the betterment of the future then I would respect hi. Alot

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
At one point, Garner/Cogliano/MPS were untouchable. At one point Hall/Eberle/RNH were untouchable.
:help:
Meh. Aquilini May be a shitty owner but he is smart enough to know that moving the untouchable 4 would hurt his bottom line

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Nick Kypreos today re: Leafs cap issues, touches on Canucks.

"The biggest issue or the bigger issue, besides getting Marner to like a number that you are presenting, is still trying to find a way to lose Patrick Marleau’s contract and Zaitsev’s and I’ve heard that is not going very well in terms of what teams want to hear from the Leafs to start getting serious about taking those contracts on. They’re going to have to dish out. They’re going to have to do something big time. The bar was set when Bryan Bickell from Chicago’s $4+ million needed to be moved and it cost them a top prospect in Teravainen. You start talking about those guys, then you start talking about Johnsson and Kapanen. That’s where the conversations go. Vancouver would love to take Kapanen off their hands. Same goes for anyone interested in Marleau’s deal."

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Nick Kypreos today re: Leafs cap issues, touches on Canucks.

"The biggest issue or the bigger issue, besides getting Marner to like a number that you are presenting, is still trying to find a way to lose Patrick Marleau’s contract and Zaitsev’s and I’ve heard that is not going very well in terms of what teams want to hear from the Leafs to start getting serious about taking those contracts on. They’re going to have to dish out. They’re going to have to do something big time. The bar was set when Bryan Bickell from Chicago’s $4+ million needed to be moved and it cost them a top prospect in Teravainen. You start talking about those guys, then you start talking about Johnsson and Kapanen. That’s where the conversations go. Vancouver would love to take Kapanen off their hands. Same goes for anyone interested in Marleau’s deal."
But but, I could have sworn Benning was dealing our first for Zaitsev? Color me confused!

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
At one point, Garner/Cogliano/MPS were untouchable. At one point Hall/Eberle/RNH were untouchable.
:help:
To be fair, Hall/Eberle/RNH should have remained untouchable, given that their trades were huge failures.

There hasn't been a single rumour yet of a deal or even player that actually sounds intriguing or positive, very disappointing.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
We are in such an enviable spot cap space wise to capitalize on cap crunched teams and poach a young asset

and our moron GM is after Ristolainen and Myers
The fact this idiot isn't fired yet and given free reign to run the draft and free agency again is just beyond me.

Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad