2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
So I've been wondering just how much Trevor Linden had to do with past trades.
As former president of hockey operations he was the senior member of th duo with JB and was involved in day to day club activities and may have been the one making these stupid trades and signings which JB backed as a good well paid employee should do.
Perhaps JB had enough of looking like a fool for TL gaffs and said its him or me and Aquaman chose JB.
Since then there has not been a major move by JB that allows me to say yep must've been JB all along or it was TL being a dumb a$$ who was actually running the team.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Anyone else have this fear that Benning will go full Benning and trade Boeser for Ristolainen or something like that? I just have this feeling I’m going to get an alert about a ridiculous trade by Benning some time this week.
Horvat.
Gillis pick.
Benning probably thinks we're set at C and if you're going to trade...trade from a position of strength.
He's on a good contract.

I know if Benning came to me looking for one of my better assets then the conversation starts with Horvat.

Benning is a complete mark around the league and if he tries to trade then there's a very good chance he'll get fleeced.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Horvat.
Gillis pick.
Benning probably thinks we're set at C and if you're going to trade...trade from a position of strength.
He's on a good contract.

I know if Benning came to me looking for one of my better assets then the conversation starts with Horvat.

Benning is a complete mark around the league and if he tries to trade then there's a very good chance he'll get fleeced.

Probably lots of teams calling about Horvat. His contract is insanely good. If he were an RFA now, he’s probably be getting about 8mil per season.

Reactions: Jack Burton

member 290103

So I've been wondering just how much Trevor Linden had to do with past trades.
As former president of hockey operations he was the senior member of th duo with JB and was involved in day to day club activities and may have been the one making these stupid trades and signings which JB backed as a good well paid employee should do.
Perhaps JB had enough of looking like a fool for TL gaffs and said its him or me and Aquaman chose JB.
Since then there has not been a major move by JB that allows me to say yep must've been JB all along or it was TL being a dumb a$$ who was actually running the team.

I thought maybe that here was something to this too, and maybe there is to a degree, but don’t forget that the rumours last year were that Linden wanted to rebuild and not sign Beagle and Rousell, but owner sided with Dim and Linden went back to running club 16.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You mean other than drafting our franchise #1 C? Agreed, Bo's contract is solid and funny enough it was panned at the time as a nock against JB.

What? No it wasn't. Horvat's contract was pretty much right on the money for what people expected he'd get. I don't recall anyone complaining about that contract at all. He also could have easily turned into Alex Wennberg so it wasn't like that deal didn't have risk.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hopefully Benning can use Horvat’s contract as a comparable in the Boeser negotiations lol
How? Horvat got his after a 20 goal 50 points high water mark, Boeser's done that twice in two years in much less games.

If they get Brock between 7 and 8 it's a massive win on a 6 or 7 year deal.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What? No it wasn't. Horvat's contract was pretty much right on the money for what people expected he'd get. I don't recall anyone complaining about that contract at all. He also could have easily turned into Alex Wennberg so it wasn't like that deal didn't have risk.
I think it was higher than his cohorts....he makes $800k less than Nathan Mackinnon. It looks fine now and it's not a problem, but I though he got more than he'd earned to that point, but the organization had nothing beyond him at that point it made sense to get him locked up.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

My prediction. They pry a later first for tanev. They trade the 10th pick for Barrie or ghost. Re sign edler .

Good on you for growing a pair, Jim Benning. The team is going to suck next year, and you're going to get fired, but at least you went down swinging.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Get it done Jimbo.

What whiplash today - talks with Edler back on, shopping Tanev...

Ideal scenario - re-sign Edler with no NMC, move Tanev for a late first or a 2nd and a 3rd, acquire Zaitsev and Kapanen on the cheap from Toronto. Avoid making a big splash in free agency and enjoy your cap space to re-sign guys like Pettersson in a few years.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
So basically all 30 other GM's know that:

1) Benning is trying to save his job
2) Calling every team to ask about any d-men they have
3) Is having trouble signing Edler - his best dman last year by a mile
4) Had one of the worst defenses in the league the last few years
5) Wants to make a splash for the home crowd for the draft

That does not bode well for any trade that he is about to make. :ha:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

My prediction. They pry a later first for tanev. They trade the 10th pick for Barrie or ghost. Re sign edler .

If we can pry a late first (for tanev) then you don’t even think twice about pulling the trigger! Sadly I feel he’s more in the braun territory... other teams will try to downgrade from a 2nd & 3rd as he’s injury prone.

Last edited:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
So basically all 30 other GM's know that:

1) Benning is trying to save his job
2) Calling every team to ask about any d-men they have
3) Is having trouble signing Edler - his best dman last year by a mile
4) Had one of the worst defenses in the league the last few years
5) Wants to make a splash for the home crowd for the draft

That does not bode well for any trade that he is about to make. :ha:

looking at the draft seating chart and noting how many barriers I'd have to jump to make it to the podium before bettman could announce 10th overall for ristolainen

Reactions: supercanuck and MS

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Horvat.
Gillis pick.
He's on a good contract.

Keep beating that drum

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tanev has little value now.

In 2017 he was a 26 year old who was objectively the best defensive defender in the NHL on a fantastic contract.

The team could have got a 1st round pick and very good prospect for him then, but instead chose to compete.

Reactions: timw33

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Can get more for Tanev likely at the trade deadline (risk is if gets injured before then).

He would have greater value at the deadline but would come with a massive risk of him being healthy then.

If I was trading for Tanev, I'd want to do it earlier. To hope to get him into a position to not be on the top pairing and stay a little healthier.

Reactions: Hit the post

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tanev has little value now.

In 2017 he was a 26 year old who was objectively the best defensive defender in the NHL on a fantastic contract.

The team could have got a 1st round pick and very good prospect for him then, but instead chose to compete.
That Ed Willes article talking about Benning "chasing the game" is so bang on. Never had a plan.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
What whiplash today - talks with Edler back on, shopping Tanev...

Ideal scenario - re-sign Edler with no NMC, move Tanev for a late first or a 2nd and a 3rd, acquire Zaitsev and Kapanen on the cheap from Toronto. Avoid making a big splash in free agency and enjoy your cap space to re-sign guys like Pettersson in a few years.
I like this plan, although i would't mind going after Panarin/Duchene/Nyquist, but that's just me. :sarcasm: Granted, in this scenario i'd love to see Eriksson moved, but you can't have everything :laugh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad