2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I would take two picks now for Tanev because I completely expect Benning to be unable to trade him at the deadline for more. (Whether it's his own incompetence or if Tanev is injured.)

With his modified NTC they should be able to find a taker out of the 22 teams left that he'd be willing to go to. If he isn't coming back they HAVE to trade him.

Reactions: Get North

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I take two weeks off following the team during the Raptors run and come back to hearing that we’re losing our best defense man for nothing, replacing him with Luke Schenn (can’t have both???), possibly trading for Lucic, and gearing up for another Gudbranson-type trade.

What the f***?

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I take two weeks off following the team during the Raptors run and come back to hearing that we’re losing our best defense man for nothing, replacing him with Luke Schenn (can’t have both???), possibly signing/trading for Lucic, and gearing up for another Gudbranson-type trade.

What the ****?

Total party time man, Benning hasn’t been that bad!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If we can move both Tanev and Edler out for odds and ends we can secure 31st place next season on the same day. Pulling all of this off on the draft floor before the home fans would be the stuff of legend.

The argument would be that you're going to be bad next year anyway, so why does the incremental improvement of having Tanev in the line-up, over some random veteran free agent, even matter. Wouldn't you just be better off taking a 2nd+ for him? I mean at this point you'd be better off putting some pieces together for the 2020-21 season because you aren't filling all the massive line-up holes in one off-season. Sign a couple 30+ year old defensive veterans on a couple 1-2 year deals and tread water.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The Tanev trade is dependant on if we trade our 2020 first. If he trades it then hold on to Tanev and hope for a god damn miracle. If he doesn’t trade it move tanev

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I take two weeks off following the team during the Raptors run and come back to hearing that we’re losing our best defense man for nothing, replacing him with Luke Schenn (can’t have both???), possibly trading for Lucic, and gearing up for another Gudbranson-type trade.

What the ****?
Welcome to the NHL off season

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Honestly (I know Aquilini would never allow it), I want Benning to do sweet **** all. Let teams overpay, get into cap hell and then squeeze young assets from themm

I’d be in favour of doing very little in free agency as well. I think there’s advantages to our young players continuing to develop as they have.

But I doubt that happens.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Damn. These bloated UFA contracts for second liners are usually somewhat palatable for the first couple of years, before they inevitably drop off and become overpaid waiver junk. Hayes isn't even good value at that price now, let alone a few years down the road. Horrible.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
When I saw the Hayes contract, I had to look him up as I wasn't sure who he was to get 7mil a year...

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
See this is exactly what happens around here.

Vanek nets a player who would be considered a pretty good 3rd round pick and people start some weird narrative that Benning thought or brought him here to be the LW solution with Boeser and Pettersson. Create a hypothetical with a completely unrealistic expectation than claim how bad it is that we ended up with Motte.

We pulled 24yr old Tyler Motte who is fast as **** is a pretty good penalty killer just scored 9 goals and improving from a player no good team wants yet it is some kind of dig on Benning?

Vanek has outproduced Motte by a wide margin since the trade and is likely to outproduce him in the immediate future. Trading Vanek for a cap dump and an inferior player is not "pretty good." The Canucks would have been better off keeping Vanek and resigning him in the offseason than making that trade.

Motte is going on 25, meaning we've likely seen the best of him at this point. In other words, a waiver-pickup-4th-line calibre of player. Certainly not something to tout as "win" by Benning.

And just to refocus my post to the thread topic...

Past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour. Benning has a well-established history of poor trades and FA acquisitions. There's no longer a need to "wait and see". The most likely outcome, given the tenuousness of his position as GM, is that he will make bad transactions out of desperation to keep his job.

Reasonable people will readily acknowledge that it's unlikely he finally starts making good decisions for the betterment of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad