2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
everyone has their heart set on a D in the first, you known both McCabe and Guhle were second round picks. There's lots of value of taking the best player available at #8.

Who's to say BPA isn't a defenseman though? It's not like the forwards in our pick range are can't-miss guys. There's very little separating the players ranked 3-somewhere in the mid-1st.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There are some who think only two d are worthy of being top half of the round picks. Depending on what one thinks of Liljegren...he's the only other guy consistently ranked in the top half by pretty much anyone outside of the Sabres board. And even then not always as he's slipped into the 20s in several places.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Who's to say BPA isn't a defenseman though? It's not like the forwards in our pick range are can't-miss guys. There's very little separating the players ranked 3-somewhere in the mid-1st.

Lias Andersson and Emil Pettersson are can't miss guys, they should become top six players. They should at least be considered Alex Nylander-level talents but much more proven. Both have had key roles on senior teams.

I've said before that I would be happy with Liljegren but the U18 WC left me with some doubts.

Not saying that any of these guys is the best pick at 8th, but I've watched them a lot and prospects won't get much safer than Andersson.

TTs

Apr 26, 2017
Or trade our 1st for a legit nhl dman then trade seconds and whatever else to move up and take Brannstrom etc

not sure any worthwhile d-men will be available for the 8th pick in this years draft. Team needs a game changer badly

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
yea thats what i meant, 8th overall in a deal doesnt get you the kind of d-man we desperately need.

You'll find two levels of people on this board...ones one want an immediate upgrade and ones that want to build for the future because they still think our window is 3 years away...

If Brannstrom really slips that far it's the perfect scenario. You get him to add to Guhle and traded your first for an immediate impact dman. Kane, Reinhart, nylander are all still in house wether for trade or not...

The situation however may not be feasible. It's all relative on Brannstrom/lily etc slipping that much

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Mark Edwards of hockeyprospect.com issued his final rankings yesterday and released his Black Book. Always a good read - and he periodically posts on HF, including in team threads. Here's his top-15:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-2017-nhl-draft-final-rankings/

Brannstrom and Valimaki were 16 and 17, respectively.

Edwards' final rankings have largely matched up pretty well to players' actual pick slot the last two seasons, with an exception or two. In other words, we can probably kiss Heiskanen and Makar goodbye.

Just checked a few links sending traffic to our website and found this thread. :)

First, a small correction. It's not my list, It's HP's list. A lot of good people putting a ton of time into the rinks goes into our rankings, not just my time. :handclap:

Remember, we don't try to predict the draft outcome. Some picks may end of in the same areas but it's just because many scouts see players in the same areas of the draft.

My guesses actually match our rankings in this case. Heiskanen at #3 if Dallas doesn't trade the pick and Makar at #4. We shall see tho.

I'm looking forward to heading to Chicago. Interested to watch Jeff Crisp run the Sabres draft. Good guy I've known for years now. Had a good chat at the combine right at the end of the day on the Saturday.

Enjoy the draft folks!

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I get this horrible feeling that the draft lottery stuck a knife in our draft hopes. I was hoping one of the top 7 in the black book fell to us--and maybe that will happen. Or some guy picked 9th will turn out to be the best pick in the draft in hindsight. Who knows.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
There seems to be chatter on the prospects board that Vancouver would be targeting Pettersson or someone else playing in Europe at number 5. That means one of the consensus average-d tier e to 7 would probably be available to us:
Heiskanen, Miro
Vilardi, Gabriel
Mittelstadt, Casey
Makar, Cale
Glass, Cody

I'm hoping for anyone, but Mittelstadt from that list. Miro, Makar, Cody or Vilardi would be great pick ups at 8 IMO from what people seem to brand as below average draft.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Trade down, add extra picks and take Brannstrom

Who cares about extra picks in a weak draft... we already have 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... If Brannstrom is your guy, then just take him at 8.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You can't even get a consensus that he's a first round pick. Taking him at 8 is a laugh and a mockery of draft value. I don't cafe how much you need them to pick a D that you won't see for 3 years. I pray that professionals don't overrate for need near the level you do. It's a failure to use the draft correctly. As an economist Botterill's head would probably explode.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Brannstrom is talented but he measured 5'9 at the combine. If you are taking a 5'9 dman in the to 10 he better super special and I don't think he is.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You can't even get a consensus that he's a first round pick. Taking him at 8 is a laugh and a mockery of draft value. I don't cafe how much you need them to pick a D that you won't see for 3 years. I pray that professionals don't overrate for need near the level you do. It's a failure to use the draft correctly. As an economist Botterill's head would probably explode.

This is the problem with the consensus nonsense... the reality is, the consensus gets it wrong all the time. The consensus allowed Brannstrom... i mean, Erik Karlsson to go in the teens. While the consensus in the same draft was that Zach Bogosian was a top 3 pick.

The only mockery of the draft, is taking who someone else tells you to take.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Preds D construction and play style allowed 5-10/175 Ryan Ellis to play well. Subban is stout for his height. Ekholm is taller. Josi is average. Weber and Irwin are average.

If GMJB picked a smaller defenseman, that defenseman could slot in the same way. Ristolainen and Bogosian are horses who can skate well. McCabe is average height but stout for his height.

Organizationally, Guhle isn't small, and from pictures, he's getting bigger. Borgen is average. Stephens is average. Fitzgerald is smaller.

Assuming that Kane nets an average to above-average sized defender, the overall D could add a smaller player. Slotting in Makar, Heiskanen, or Brannstrom isn't going to be an issue. Especially if Housley is the head coach.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Yea, what would 5'10" Phil Housley have to teach him :sarcasm:

If Brannstrom is Housley Good Then you take him. Personally I see it as a stretch by a team desperate for dmen. If you are taking Brannstrom at 8 then you have to know he is a homerun because he is not settling into any other role at the pro level other then PMD with PP ability.

I wouldn't be angry with the pick if the Sabres staff truly believes he is special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad