2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Mark Edwards of hockeyprospect.com issued his final rankings yesterday and released his Black Book. Always a good read - and he periodically posts on HF, including in team threads. Here's his top-15:

1. Nico Hischier, Halifax (QMJHL)
2. Nolan Patrick, Brandon (WHL)
3. Miro Heiskanen, HIFK (Finland)
4. Cale Makar, Brooks (AJHL)
5. Elias Petterson, Timro (Sweden-2)
6. Cody Glass, Portland (WHL)
7. Gabriel Vilardi, Windsor (OHL)
8. Casey Mittelstadt, Eden Prarie (HS-MN)
9. Martin Necas, BRNO (CZREP)
10. Timothy Liljegren, Rogle (Sweden)
11. Urho Vaakanainen, JYP (Finland)
12. Lias Andersson, HV71 (Sweden)
13. Isaac Ratcliffe, Guelph (OHL)
14. Callan Foote, Kelowna (WHL)
15. Michael Rasmussen, Tri-City (WHL)

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-2017-nhl-draft-final-rankings/

Brannstrom and Valimaki were 16 and 17, respectively.

Edwards' final rankings have largely matched up pretty well to players' actual pick slot the last two seasons, with an exception or two. In other words, we can probably kiss Heiskanen and Makar goodbye.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Mark Edwards of hockeyprospect.com issued his final rankings yesterday and released his Black Book. Always a good read - and he periodically posts on HF, including in team threads. Here's his top-15:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-2017-nhl-draft-final-rankings/

Edwards' final rankings have largely matched up pretty well to players' actual pick slot the last two seasons, with an exception or two. In other words, we can probably kiss Heiskanen and Makar goodbye.

Say hello to TL :)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Playing around on DraftWired and I was offered up an interesting trade up option.

5 for 8, 55, & 68 with Heiskanen off the board and Makar still there.

I pulled the trigger and took Makar.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Liljegren will be a good pick at 8.

Would suck to let him slide past us only to have a huge bounce back year next year. I've said it before, but I think his draft year is somewhat similar to that of William Nylander. This is a player with multiple elite qualities to his game. I'm saying that there are plenty of solid options at 8.

Last edited:

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008

I am surprised he has Liljegren at #10. It seems like he is dropping on most rankings and am encouraged by Edwards still having him high.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Only way I'm okay picking a forward at 8 is if the top 3 D are off the board. Otherwise you pick the highest rated defenseman.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

So it's acceptable to have Makar as a top tier prospect now? It wasn't 6 weeks ago... because consensus and all

(Not directed at zip)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Someone who has watched some tape on him, someone convince me why Valimaki isn't talked about as a potential top 5 pick, right there with Makar and Heiskanen. The more I watch him, the more I see someone that has it all as a prospect.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Someone who has watched some tape on him, someone convince me why Valimaki isn't talked about as a potential top 5 pick, right there with Makar and Heiskanen. The more I watch him, the more I see someone that has it all as a prospect.

I think the answer is in his lack of a dynamic level to his skating/puck rush. That's obviously not to say he isn't a greaT skater... he is, especially on his edges, his agility. I just think he lacks that top top end dynamic creator element the other two have.

The flip side is his total package game make him a super safe pick / high floor prospect.

I've had Jusso in my 2nd tier / top 8 all along.

I think the defensive depth in the top of the 1st is massively underrated, coinciding with numerous overrated forwards in comparison.

Taking a forward at 8 is silly talk.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

I think because he has a nice rounded skillset but doesn't seem to have any elite qualities. I'm a fan of his game and wouldn't be upset if he was picked at 8

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If we can somehow have Mittlestadt fall into our lap... I would be happy as a clam

If it's a falling forward I wish it was Glass but I'd be more than happy with Mittlestadt as well. Though I can't imagine a forward we won't see for several years appeals to most here.

I don't trust Liljegren. When hockey IQ is questioned in a defenseman I don't fancy using such a high pick on them. It's pretty much the recipe for the ones that don't make it.

Honestly I'd rather they reach all the way down for Brannstrom over Liljegren.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Would suck to let him slide past us only to have a huge bounce back year next year. I've said it before, but I think his draft year is somewhat similar to that of William Nylander. This is a player with multiple elite qualities to his game. I'm saying that there are plenty of solid options at 8.

i think this as well with Liljegren but not with as much confidence as I wish.

I want to move up for Makar, chances at getting dynamic offensive dmen in the draft are rare.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If you really want Cale Makar, would you be willing to part with our second round pick? Because I think you're going to have to get up to 5 or 6 to have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad