2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Button's top 4 is the same as mine.

So I have to rethink my entire life now.

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hischier-edges-patrick-in-final-ranking-1.772654

1. Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
HT: 6-1 WT: 176 S: L
GP: 57 G: 38 P: 86 PIM: 24

2. Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
HT: 6-2 WT: 198 S: R
GP: 33 G: 20 P: 46 PIM: 36

3. Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)
HT: 5-11 WT: 180 SH: R
GP: 54 G: 24 P: 75 PIM: 18

4. Cody Glass, C, Portland (WHL)
HT: 6-2 WT: 178 S: R
GP: 69 G: 32 P: 94 PIM: 36

5. Miro Heiskanen, D, HIFK (SM Liiga)
HT: 6-0 WT: 170 S: L
GP: 37 G: 5 P: 10 PIM: 4

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I love Heponiemi. Such a good playmaker. I have him in that 20 range too.
maybe if he puts it all together, I just think his size is going to hold him back, love the IQ, but its not like he's a waterbug with his skating ability. If that improves 'maybe'

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Cody Glass screams Toews in his draft year... i can see why Vancouver is trying to trade up to 3, im sure thats there pick.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Losing hope that Makar might be there at 8th.

If it's Mittelstadt/Liljegren/Pettersson/Necas available I don't know who I'd want Botterill to take. Probably Liljegren.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
My opinion is BPA at #8 or trade the pick for a young top 4 Defenceman unless Kane is traded for a top 4 at the draft then make the pick who is highest rated on the board.

What are people's opinions about BPA vs need? I think BPA in the first round and need after that.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
My opinion is BPA at #8 or trade the pick for a young top 4 Defenceman unless Kane is traded for a top 4 at the draft then make the pick who is highest rated on the board.

What are people's opinions about BPA vs need? I think BPA in the first round and need after that.

Generally BPA, but if players are close on our board go for need. I wouldn't consider need only if there is considerable gap between BPA and next BPA that fits need according to our staff. Having said that I think we end up Valimaki as I think he will be the best D left and the gap between him and the forwards left won't be large enough to ignore need. Just my prediction. If for some reason we have Heiskanen or Makar at 8OA that would be great. If not, not sure. And I suspect we may have Valimaki higher on our board than Brannstrom or Liljegren, but I may be easily wrong of course lol

Of the forwards it seem it would be great if one of Glass or Vilardi drops to us but I am not optimistic. Not sold on Mittelstadt form what I've read.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

oh goody a BPA v need discussion, these are always a barrel of laughs

1c > top 4 D > 2c > top 6 w > else

hardly anyone gets a shot at drafting a 1c and you take it almost every opportunity you have it

D are in such huge demand and carry such huge value that you can acquire any position of need with a young D

wings are surplus, you can win without them, you can acquire them through multiple avenues where you just cant find top talent at C and D, the wing better be head and shoulders above the available talent to be worth taking over a top 6 c or a top 4 d

everything else isn't worth drafting in the 1st

both BPA and need fail to convey the realities of drafting talent in this NHL

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016

If it's Mittelstadt/Liljegren/Pettersson/Necas available I don't know who I'd want Botterill to take. Probably Liljegren.

Im torn b/w Liljegren and Pettersson in this scenario. I like Pettersson a bit bit better, but we need quality D in the stable. Wish Timmy would have went with Sergachev over Nylander last year, Id feel better about going forward this year, instead of feeling like forcing defense. I felt Sergachev and Nylander were pretty close overall, and we should have went D

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I'm thinking more and more that Valimaki is the #3 D off the board, not Liljegren.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm thinking more and more that Valimaki is the #3 D off the board, not Liljegren.

I think the 3rd D off the board could be any of:
Liljegren, Valimaki, Brannstrom, Foote, Hague, Vaakinainen, Joseph or Jokiharju
And that the 3rd could come off the board anywhere from 5OA, to 15OA.

Such a weird draft. Personally, I only see 2 D in the top 8 prospects, and a big drop off after that, so my preference would be to trade down a bit if you can get a nice piece, but I think if you like a guy, you just go get him.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
I have watched Glass every home game, there is no way he drops to us... unless the hockey gods finally take pity on us.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I have watched Glass every home game, there is no way he drops to us... unless the hockey gods finally take pity on us.

I think he's the one guy in the draft who has been ranked far higher on teams boards then draft rankings all year long. I can't imagine him getting past Vancouver, but honestly, I don't see why Patrick has unanimously been considered a better prospect then him and Vilardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad