2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I watched a video package of Ellias Pettersson which included most of the 2016 U18 Gold Medal game between Sweden and Finland. Pettersson was not good but what jumped out at me was how bad/invisible Alex Nylander was in the game.

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I watched a video package of Ellias Pettersson which included most of the 2016 U18 Gold Medal game between Sweden and Finland. Pettersson was not good but what jumped out at me was how bad/invisible Alex Nylander was in the game.

I personally think Pettersson will be one of the best to come out of this draft class.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Baker has the most vanilla draft rankings year after year.

He uses the platform more for informative overviews of each player, rather than a controversial ranking or any kind of team need coming into play in most cases. It's the general consensus ranking with a lot of good info and comparables.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
OK..

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Baker has the most vanilla draft rankings year after year.

I think his intended audience is peopke who don't really follow prospects/draft. He's just introducing the prospect with a few paragraphs, almost always using the consensus rankings, more or less.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just finished up a mock draft over on the Flyers board. I had the Sabres. Here's my picks. Thoughts?

1(8) - Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)
2(37) - Shane Bowers, C, Waterloo (USHL)
2(58) - Jarret Tyszka, D, Seattle (WHL)
3(68) - Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G, HPK U20 (Liiga Jr)
3(93) - Dylan Samberg, D, Waterloo (USHL)
4(99) - Filip Westerlund, D, Frolunda (SHL)
6(161) - Randy Hernandez, RW, (USNTDP)
7(192) - Petrus Palmu, RW, Owen Sound Attack (OHL)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Just finished up a mock draft over on the Flyers board. I had the Sabres. Here's my picks. Thoughts?

So...many..."k's"...

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

If that happens Im throwing* a party at mine.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Any chance you could give a quick simple reason why you chose these players?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Any chance you could give a quick simple reason why you chose these players?

Most of them just came from reading articles or watching YouTube clips. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen I think is the best pick out of the group. I think he's going to be a good goalie and I think he's gone in the second. I actually was thinking about taking him in the second but rolled the dice. He's big and athletic and putting up great numbers right now.

My favorite pick is Petrus Palmu. He is tiny and this is actually his third year of eligibility. I actually discovered him in NHL 17:laugh:. His size is really going to hurt his ability in the NHL but he had a great season in the OHL and I like the little guy picks, especially in the 7th round. Not a whole lot to go on once you're that deep (though I would imagine real GMs have a much better handle on it).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Also had a lot to do with who was available at the time. I was hoping Mittelstat would be there at 8 and when he wasn't Makar was the best available (IMO).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Around these parts some would advocate taking the 8th best D if only D went 1-7.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Most of them just came from reading articles or watching YouTube clips. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen I think is the best pick out of the group. I think he's going to be a good goalie and I think he's gone in the second. I actually was thinking about taking him in the second but rolled the dice. He's big and athletic and putting up great numbers right now.

My favorite pick is Petrus Palmu. He is tiny and this is actually his third year of eligibility. I actually discovered him in NHL 17:laugh:. His size is really going to hurt his ability in the NHL but he had a great season in the OHL and I like the little guy picks, especially in the 7th round. Not a whole lot to go on once you're that deep (though I would imagine real GMs have a much better handle on it).

Also had a lot to do with who was available at the time. I was hoping Mittelstat would be there at 8 and when he wasn't Makar was the best available (IMO).

I also had the Oilers and I think the Sabres came out much better.

Thanks, that's fair.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Had we been allowed to trade, I would have most likely considered trading back and targeted a guy like Vallimaki or Tolvanen.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Interesting. I actually had my rankings (based on who I thought would realistically be available) as this for the 8th pick:

1. Mittelstadt
2. Hesikanen
3. Liljegren
4. Villardi
5. Makar

I figured I'd be guaranteed to get one of them.

I would rank the next six players beyond the consensus top two as follows for our needs:

Heiskanen
Makar
Glass
Vilardi
Tippett
Valimaki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad