Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Friedman's low key good at throwing **** out there, but this is worth a read...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trade-value-first-round-pick/

Basically says the Pens have "circled around him before" and it might take Maatta + to get him.

I think Duchene starts the season in Colorado and it's going to be a circus. Low key, the Pens circled and allegedly got close, Sakic was a ******, Letang needed season ending surgery, they won the cup without him, Sakic remains delusional. Sakic is the same but the Pens probably have more question marks around being able to count on Letang.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
You mean the Kelly who out produced Bonino this year and only had 5 pts less then him in his run last year? That Kelly? Not to mention that they also had Peverely playing more minutes then Kelly and who took almost as many draws as Campbell.

Yea, looking at the Boston team is a challenge when it comes to properly, and I mean properly accessing them. They had almost no stat line that was linear in you can just neatly put this cluster of players in a box, wrap it in a bow, then say here this was this. I think that is why that team gets dismissed so often as a "fluke" but they play a solid from L1 to Defense Pair 3 game that's a bit challenging to completely wrap you head around looking only at the stat lines. You had to watch that team to understand what was going on with them and certain players, Kelly and Campbell, as you mentioned are good examples of that. Some Championship teams you can look at the stat lines and its glaringly obvious why they won, others are not that simple to analyze.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Squirting gasoline on the dying embers of the Duchene talk! I don't think we need to make a move that big but I also don't care, I love huge trades and would welcome bringing him in!

I also agree with what Friedman mentioned Sather and Jackson saying about bringing in new blood to keep the drive for championships fresh. Adding another new forward and a new defenseman would be good for that.

Duchene trade talk will never die!

My gut is Rutherford would like a few big moves but he recognises he's got a lot of quality, few obvious holes, a very tight dressing room, and he's going to wait for value to pop up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Other things on that of interest

- Quite a lot of interest in Daley, Smith likely to be with NYR but Stone and Calgary not so much

- Buffalo may call Cullen (you don't say)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Think we definitely should go younger at 3C and would love JR to complete a deal for Duchene. He's a good fit, and I don't think it's unreasonable to offer Maatta and a young winger since we have plenty, maybe throw in a lower than a first round pick. But we'd need to have a replacement for Maatta in place. Stone? Though he's a righty. Trade for Miller with LV? Try to pry Smith from the Rangers? Demers?
Make it happen JR. Best option to keep things fresh for us and the three-peat

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think the longer Sakic waits to make a deal the better. If it takes him until November or December to deal him, Duchene's value will probably be at its lowest point. It will be a circus and Sakic won't have any leverage anymore.

Either that or teams will know the end is near and a bidding war will occur. But I don't sense that happening.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Duchene starts the season in Colorado and it's going to be a circus. Low key, the Pens circled and allegedly got close, Sakic was a ******, Letang needed season ending surgery, they won the cup without him, Sakic remains delusional. Sakic is the same but the Pens probably have more question marks around being able to count on Letang.

Sakic is going to botch the situation while believing he is taking the high ground. Duchene's value will continue to plummet and Sakic will get a harsh lesson on the path of trades vs moral high ground.

I bet we offered Maatta+ plus and we know Sakic said "Sprong+Guentzel+". Adios.

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like Maatta+Sheary+2018 2nd or something. And that's more than fair for Duchene. Could you imagine how pumped he would be to come here? After the debacle in Colorado and losing so much, to get to come to Pittsburgh knowing you're gonna have a chance at a three-peat...kid will look like he was shot out of a cannon!

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fantasy Hockey question... % odds of Sprong making your team next year?

As a regular contributor? Not that good. He will likely see some games for injuries and such, but I can't really see him being a regular next season unless a body is moved out. We don't have a Kunitz to bump to the 4th line to make room for him.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Duchene trade talk will never die!

My gut is Rutherford would like a few big moves but he recognises he's got a lot of quality, few obvious holes, a very tight dressing room, and he's going to wait for value to pop up.

Hahaha. Yeah JR has to be chomping at the bit to make a big deal, it's been 2 years since the Kessel trade for crying out loud!

Sakic is going to botch the situation while believing he is taking the high ground. Duchene's value will continue to plummet and Sakic will get a harsh lesson on the path of trades vs moral high ground.

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like Maatta+Sheary+2018 2nd or something. And that's more than fair for Duchene. Could you imagine how pumped he would be to come here? After the debacle in Colorado and losing so much, to get to come to Pittsburgh knowing you're gonna have a chance at a three-peat...kid will look like he was shot out of a cannon!

That is the exact trade I was thinking of... Colorado gets a young top 4 D and top 6 forward that are already proven in the NHL, that's not something they will get from most teams.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I do find it funny that the very same people in this thread laughing at the thought of Yak with the Pens in the very same thread claim Hags is irreplaceable.

Hags at 4 million per gave the team 6 goals. I would bet my entire net worth, in fact, my life that Yak would at least double that production and for half of the money.

Goals last year

Yakupov - 3
Hagelin - 6

Even strength + SH goals since 2013 (Yakupov's rookie year)

Yakupov -37
Hagelin -64

Additionally, Hagelin is a pretty good two way player, whereas Yakupov is the NHL's very, very worst.

Even if Yakupov had doubled Hagelin's production, that might not be sufficient to wipe out the vast difference between their defensive game. But he doesn't double Hagelin's production. He consistently scores half as much.

Here's a reality check: Yakupov isn't in Hagelin's league as a hockey player. Yakupov is closer to Farnham, but comes up lacking, in comparison.

Finally, I don't know why anyone would compare these players, anyway. Hagelin plays left wing and, rarely, center. Yakupov plays right wing and nothing else (which you would know if you judging him on observations instead of draft position). To put him on this team, he doesn't need to be better than Hagelin (which he isn't close to). He needs to be better than Guentzel or Kessel.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think he's already botched it, tbh. The Pens are in an even worse position to trade a D with Letang's latest, the Islanders have made some moves and Montreal made the Drouin trade. The landscape has changed and he still needs to move Duchene. I'd expect this run to have bumped the value of our D up on top of Letang looking less reliable, too.

I'd be surprised if the Pens were in on him at this point and I don't think being pumped instantly undoes all of that **** Colorado did.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hahaha. Yeah JR has to be chomping at the bit to make a big deal, it's been 2 years since the Kessel trade for crying out loud!

That is the exact trade I was thinking of... Colorado gets a young top 4 D and top 6 forward that are already proven in the NHL, that's not something they will get from most teams.

Really not sure how much that move would improve us. A lot depends on how you replace Maatta.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well, the Pens just may have to fill yet another hole at center.

Sidney Crosby says he would love to play goalie for Penguins

The elite center went on first the Dan Patrick Show, then the Jim Rome Show on Tuesday morning, filling up the airwaves with talk about everything from his season to who could stand in net with heir apparent Matt Murray next year.

His suggestion? Himself. Crosby joking volunteered to serve as the team’s netminder for the upcoming season.

“Have you ever wanted to play goalie?†Patrick asked.

“Oh yeah,†Crosby joked. “That’s, I mean … I wanted to be a goalie pretty early on.â€Â

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/sidney-crosby-says-hed-love-play-goalie-penguins/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think he's already botched it, tbh. The Pens are in an even worse position to trade a D with Letang's latest, the Islanders have made some moves and Montreal made the Drouin trade. The landscape has changed and he still needs to move Duchene. I'd expect this run to have bumped the value of our D up on top of Letang looking less reliable, too.

I'd be surprised if the Pens were in on him at this point and I don't think being pumped instantly undoes all of that **** Colorado did.

I think we're in, but more hanging around rather than chasing hard.

I also think if Sakic has any sense he kills the rumours, pleads with Duchene to play nice for one more season, then goes back to market after a better season with a trade and sign possible.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Really not sure how much that move would improve us. A lot depends on how you replace Maatta.

I'm worried more about blockbuster trades this time of year than anything else :laugh:

But that is very true. We'd probably have to keep Daley and add a FA top 4 guy. Or keep Hainsey, I know this board would love that :D

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Goals last year

Yakupov - 3
Hagelin - 6

Even strength + SH goals since 2013 (Yakupov's rookie year)

Yakupov -37
Hagelin -64

Al[/B].

From the Stl Board:

My take after watching him last season with my Blues.

Hitch put him in positions where he was mostly with our grinders, had no PP time and very little chance to succeed at what he does best.

If a team wants to utilize his strengths, and not attempt to correct his weaknesses, but instead, put him in a place to use his strengths, he could potentially have a breakout season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad