Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I am. I'm still asking because I'd rather hear what he looked like in those spells from anyone who watched him. If people think he looked garbage, fair enough.

He is garbage. More garbage than Yakupov. He has shown NOTHING at the NHL level.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
The point is I'm not wrong until he actually plays with Sid, it's just an opinion. Just like everyone else in this thread trashing the kid, just their opinion.

While your laughing, take a trip down memory lane when Schultz signs his new contract and guess what your reaction would have been 24 months ago if I told you that "not only will the Pens trade for Schultz, but they will give him a ______contract for ______ years".

Yeah but here's the thing, Schultz has more in common with the Wizard of Oz's scarecrow than he does with Yakapov....he has a brain. I guess you're technically not wrong, but at the same time you're not even close to being right.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He is garbage. More garbage than Yakupov. He has shown NOTHING at the NHL level.

Then why not just say that to begin with? :laugh: Thanks.

The Miller thing won't happen anymore. The Knights are trying to dump Emelin and Sbisa, they want to keep the rest of their D.

That takes them down to 9 dmen though. If they're willing to put Theodore in the AHL, 8, but I'd have thought they want him on the NHL roster. If that's right, then they still need to lose another.

They'll probably try and move one of Garrison/Stoner/McNabb... but given the ugly return on Methot, maybe they cave and a do a younger guy. Probably not though.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
For our 3C, if Bonino isn't resigned I think We should give Toronto a call for bozak. 1yr left on his deal and ask for them to retain Salary. Something like Lukas Bengttson+2018 2nd for Bozak at 50% retain?

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
The point is I'm not wrong until he actually plays with Sid, it's just an opinion. Just like everyone else in this thread trashing the kid, just their opinion.

While your laughing, take a trip down memory lane when Schultz signs his new contract and guess what your reaction would have been 24 months ago if I told you that "not only will the Pens trade for Schultz, but they will give him a ______contract for ______ years".

I think the world will end tomorrow due to gallons of vaseline raining from the sky until all living creatures suffocate or drown. Until it happens, it's just my opinion.

Thinking Yak could improve his production with Sid is an opinion. Firmly believing he would score 40 is dilusion

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
For our 3C, if Bonino isn't resigned I think We should give Toronto a call for bozak. 1yr left on his deal and ask for them to retain Salary. Something like Lukas Bengttson+2018 2nd for Bozak at 50% retain?

I think Bozak would be a little more expensive to acquire. Bozak is also an important part of the leafs as well. Boyle is a UFA too.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Why would they give him up? Their cap is in good shape and they're looking to contend starting next year.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

Im pretty sure Bengtsson have Zero or negative (since his contract counts towards the limit) value, since its uncertain he will even be able to play again.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
In Yaks defense, he cut down on his horrible giveaways last year dramatically... if he were anle to play LW it might be worth a look especially if he finally will play responsibly... but its academic... he isn't coming here... he will stay out west

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Some day pghkev is gonna break his arm patting himself on the back for hypothetical situations that he deems he's correct in. Dude makes Madden look modest. :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
In Yaks defense, he cut down on his horrible giveaways last year dramatically... if he were anle to play LW it might be worth a look especially if he finally will play responsibly... but its academic... he isn't coming here... he will stay out west

I'd be interested to see how he'd do with AHL time. Not even with the Pens specifically, just how he'd do in the AHL.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
While we are extremely slow, I like the idea of a guessing game with hopefully some realism behind it:

- Sheary 3 years 10m total. If he continues his production, he will leave Pittsburgh an extremely rich man at the age of 28. He will hit UFA and be overpaid w/ a lot of term. I think the deal is great for both teams.

- Dumo 4 years @ 3.5-4 would be beautiful.

- Schultz 6 years @ 4.25m. Here's my thinking.. we give in to the term, he gives in to a little bit of cap space. We all win.

- 3C: We sign Bones at 4 years @ 3.75. He takes a slight pay cut to stay where he's happy. We give him the extra year of term to try and even it out.

- UFA targets: Moore, Hanzal if no Bonino, and I look to target Vegas still for a 2018 draft pick for Colin Miller or a defender they are looking to get rid of.

That is a VERY favorable situation for the Pens, IMO.

And Kunitz? :popcorn:

May 17, 2009
Maine
While we are extremely slow, I like the idea of a guessing game with hopefully some realism behind it:

- Sheary 3 years 10m total. If he continues his production, he will leave Pittsburgh an extremely rich man at the age of 28. He will hit UFA and be overpaid w/ a lot of term. I think the deal is great for both teams.

- Dumo 4 years @ 3.5-4 would be beautiful.

- Schultz 6 years @ 4.25m. Here's my thinking.. we give in to the term, he gives in to a little bit of cap space. We all win.

- 3C: We sign Bones at 4 years @ 3.75. He takes a slight pay cut to stay where he's happy. We give him the extra year of term to try and even it out.

- UFA targets: Moore, Hanzal if no Bonino, and I look to target Vegas still for a 2018 draft pick for Colin Miller or a defender they are looking to get rid of.

That is a VERY favorable situation for the Pens, IMO.

I think we will be at or just below $5MM for Schultz. He's at an age where trading salary for term isn't necessarily a win (unless we are talking max term). So we will need to be at a level with the tender that the draft compensation factors into the cost of any team that would sign him. JMHO

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Because this team is good at rescuing talent and because the team's situation means we always need more cheap talent (and fresh legs).

This is not a story about the loaves and the fishes. Some of these guys don't really demonstrate that they have true NHL talent. Admittedly, at some point they had fooled people into thinking that they did, but that was a while ago. A few of these guys are bonafide failures, and nothing more.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is not a story about the loaves and the fishes. Some of these guys don't really demonstrate that they have true NHL talent. Admittedly, at some point they had fooled people into thinking that they did, but that was a while ago. A few of these guys are bonafide failures, and nothing more.

Then say that guy doesn't have it and move on. Nobody's making it their hill to die on, merely enquiring to see whether a guy has potential to be like Jultz.

Well. Maybe except for Pghkev and Yakupov.

rho

May 30, 2011
As long at its at least one more season, I don't see any reason not to do it. I feel like it'd be easy to end up paying more for worse this year given the options.

Bringing back Bonino for one more season wouldn't be an issue (even at an inflated caphit) -- signing him to a contract for the next 5 (even at a "fairer" caphit) would be an issue. One contract doesn't make or break things, but there's a pretty straight line that can be drawn between bringing back the old gang on lengthy contracts to being forced to trade your in-prime stars because you're in cap hell, i.e., what Chicago had to do last week. Of course that doesn't mean you should sign worse players for similarly bad contracts. I just think that if you're forced into a corner and need to make a non-ideal signing for the 3C hole, you're better off paying too much for a short-term contract (say 2 years) than signing Bonino for what he wants for 5 years.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bringing back Bonino for one more season wouldn't be an issue (even at an inflated caphit) -- signing him to a contract for the next 5 (even at a "fairer" caphit) would be an issue. One contract doesn't make or break things, but there's a pretty straight line that can be drawn between bringing back the old gang on lengthy contracts to being forced to trade your in-prime stars because you're in cap hell, i.e., what Chicago had to do last week. Of course that doesn't mean you should sign worse players for similarly bad contracts. I just think that if you're forced into a corner and need to make a non-ideal signing for the 3C hole, you're better off paying too much for a short-term contract (say 2 years) than signing Bonino for what he wants for 5 years.

If you're handing out 5 year contracts at prime UFA rates then, yes, you're going straight to cap hell. I thought it would be taken as read that bringing them back depended on the contracts making sense - should have been clearer.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Eh, a guy like Grigorenko who put up, 27 in 74 and 23 in 71 on an awful team as a 13F project type doesn't seem like a big risk. Yakupov is a lost cause though. So :dunno:

Last edited:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR said he has a plan in place. Meaning they are not going to spend the cap on extensions for third line centers, good but not elite defensemen and wingers who are good but replaceable. GMJR will see what the offer is for Bonino, if to much so be it. RFA's are still property of the Pens and qualifying offers insure they are Pens unless someone wants to give up 1st and third picks for them.

rho

May 30, 2011
If you're handing out 5 year contracts at prime UFA rates then, yes, you're going straight to cap hell. I thought it would be taken as read that bringing them back depended on the contracts making sense - should have been clearer.

Right. I guess I'm leary even of a reasonable caphit to Bonino if it's going for 5 years (or god forbid, 6). IMO, before they sign any UFA contracts, management should be taking a hard look at what Chicago had to do with Panarin and then imagining how they'd feel making the same decision down the road about Guentzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad