Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nail Yakupov option wasn't picked up by the Blues. It could be a low risk high reward move if we pick him up, i'd love too see what Sully could do to this kids game.

giphy.gif

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Dumb hockey players have made great careers for themselves when put in position to be successful.

This is very true, but we have no need for Yakupov nor do we have a spot to put him in hopes of Sully, this system and a change of scenery could revive his potential.

Wingers are about the last thing we need this summer.

Man, that's still so ****ing weird to say after almost a decade of Shero/Bylsma. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My preference for 3C is to do the following
1. Sign Sheary to a bridge deal, 2-3 years 2-2.5 mil
2. Trade him to someone like Nashville who needs scoring wingers for a less offensive player like Sissons. I think that would be a good hockey trade.

Nashville likely won't be able to pull off Duchene and needs more offense with Neal gone. They are both young, and they'd have Sheary on the cheap too for a couple years. We get the more defensive player that we need

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
While we are extremely slow, I like the idea of a guessing game with hopefully some realism behind it:

- Sheary 3 years 10m total. If he continues his production, he will leave Pittsburgh an extremely rich man at the age of 28. He will hit UFA and be overpaid w/ a lot of term. I think the deal is great for both teams.

- Dumo 4 years @ 3.5-4 would be beautiful.

- Schultz 6 years @ 4.25m. Here's my thinking.. we give in to the term, he gives in to a little bit of cap space. We all win.

- 3C: We sign Bones at 4 years @ 3.75. He takes a slight pay cut to stay where he's happy. We give him the extra year of term to try and even it out.

- UFA targets: Moore, Hanzal if no Bonino, and I look to target Vegas still for a 2018 draft pick for Colin Miller or a defender they are looking to get rid of.

That is a VERY favorable situation for the Pens, IMO.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
While we are extremely slow, I like the idea of a guessing game with hopefully some realism behind it:

- Sheary 3 years 10m total. If he continues his production, he will leave Pittsburgh an extremely rich man at the age of 28. He will hit UFA and be overpaid w/ a lot of term. I think the deal is great for both teams.

- Schultz 6 years @ 4.25m. Here's my thinking.. we give in to the term, he gives in to a little bit of cap space. We all win.

- 3C: We sign Bones at 4 years @ 3.75. He takes a slight pay cut to stay where he's happy. We give him the extra year of term to try and even it out.

- UFA targets: Moore, Hanzal if no Bonino, and I look to target Vegas still for a 2018 draft pick for Colin Miller or a defender they are looking to get rid of.

I think these are pretty reasonable/realistic. I have Bonino under $4 mil as well, and I really don't think that's out of bounds. He's stil getting a significant raise under this scenario. I don't think another team will give him over double his previous salary and I don't think anyone has any misunderstanding that he is NOT a scoring center. We'll see though.

Sheary I think you're roughly on the mark and Schultz as well. I don't see how Dumo lobbies for any less than $4 mil given Maatta's contract so I think it will be right around that same structure.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

:laugh::laugh:

Anyone seen this one? Cullen's agent fielding calls for him. Possible interest in Minn again.

http://www.startribune.com/wild-turns-attention-to-free-agency-to-fill-holes/430970523/

I'll be fairly surprised if he signs somewhere else. I think it's Pittsburgh or retire. But who knows, maybe Minnesota throws stupid money at him.

Just bring him back. We ain't getting a better player for what Cullen likely is gonna accept. Focus on 3C in free agency. If Cullen retires, see who's available later in the summer or via trade.

I'm ok with giving him a reasonable raise.

Dan Girardi is available....

He is. And should not be signed by anyone.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I'll be fairly surprised if he signs somewhere else. I think it's Pittsburgh or retire. But who knows, maybe Minnesota throws stupid money at him.

I don't think it'll be about stupid money if that happens, but more of compromising with his wife so the family can go back to Minnesota and he can continue playing. I don't think it's particularly likely, but I think that plays a bigger part in it than the $ amount.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I feel like if we took a flyer on Yak it would mean another winger was traded. I don't think he is a fit here with the current group of wingers we have. If we would trade Sheary, Hagelin, Kessel or Hornqvist to address 3c or defense then I could see the Pens kicking the tires. I do think a Hagelin Malkin Yakupov line could work though

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I can't imagine Cullen sign anywhere else.

Can't wait to see those RFA numbers. Cole's projections look reasonable, though I'd like to see Sheary get a little more term.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
IIRC Yak only plays RW, and we couldn't be more full there.

He'd make a good reclamation project, but not for us right now.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I feel like if we took a flyer on Yak it would mean another winger was traded. I don't think he is a fit here with the current group of wingers we have. If we would trade Sheary, Hagelin, Kessel or Hornqvist to address 3c or defense then I could see the Pens kicking the tires. I do think a Hagelin Malkin Yakupov line could work though

Yak with Sid would be the ticket. Sid loves speed and Yak oozes it. But it's not happening because the Pens could have had Yak included on the Reeves trade.

If Yak goes to a team like Chicago, I'll bet he'll have a rebirth with his career. Has to be the right fit though, I hope is agent is smart enough to realize that.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ok, here is a far fetched scenario.....Sign Grigorenko on the cheap; same with Yak. Then, pick up Galchenyuk. Then, you can back them up with Maatta, Pouliot, or Gaunce. Then, you could play a unit of 2012 First rounders together, who were all drafted in Pittsburgh.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Yak with Sid would be the ticket. Sid loves speed and Yak oozes it. But it's not happening because the Pens could have had Yak included on the Reeves trade.

If Yak goes to a team like Chicago, I'll bet he'll have a rebirth with his career. Has to be the right fit though, I hope is agent is smart enough to realize that.

Sid also likes guys that can think the game at his speed and be in the right place, the exact opposite of Yakupov at this point in his career. Speed is not enough or we would have had Sid's winger a long time ago... there are plenty of fast skaters in the NHL.

We finally have great depth on the wing and plenty of legit options to play with Sid that have already proven chemistry. Let's bring in a guy off of a 9 pts in 40 game season, looking for his 3rd team in 5 years, who seems to be getting worse each year, and who can't even keep himself from being healthy scratched regularly.

Bringing in Yakupov is one thing. Slotting him next to Sid is a whole far worse thing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Sid is about the details of the game and being smart. He coaches on the bench in between every shift. You see him working w/ the kids on how to play situational hockey. There is no doubt in my mind Yak would give him more migraines than Horny does because Yak is not known for his hockey smarts.

But if we needed a 3rd/4th line speedster to fit our team for uber cheap, Yak is that guy. But IMO there is no need to do that unless Hags for a defender happens.

But no.. Yak would drive Sid mad. Sid like fast/thinkers.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sid also likes guys that can think the game at his speed and be in the right place, the exact opposite of Yakupov at this point in his career. Speed is not enough or we would have had Sid's winger a long time ago... there are plenty of fast skaters in the NHL.

We finally have great depth on the wing and plenty of legit options to play with Sid that have already proven chemistry. Let's bring in a guy off of a 9 pts in 40 game season, looking for his 3rd team in 5 years, who seems to be getting worse each year, and who can't even keep himself from being healthy scratched regularly.

Bringing in Yakupov is one thing. Slotting him next to Sid is a whole far worse thing.

And I firmly believe if Yak played with Sid he would net 40+ goals and Sid would win the scoring title. Who's right??? Most likely we'll never know.

One thing Yak brings is that electric speed. What that would do for Sid would be to create time and spacing. For a guy like Sid an extra half second or extra 2ft is huge. It's also one of the reasons I have wanted Hags to roll with Sid for 10+ games and see how it looks. I remember Sully giving Hags one shift in the finals with Sid and it looked magical.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Yak needs to be put in a defensive role if he is going to stick in the NHL. Someone needs to turn him into a penalty killer. Continuing on with the status quo isn't going to work with him. That sounds against the grain of thought, but if he is taught to kill penalties and used that way, it could save his career. His offense doesn't need taught.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I'd like to get younger if possible. If we bring back Bones and Cullen we're pretty old down the middle. How long we can keep that up before it bites us? A lot of miles on those legs the past two seasons.

Bringing in some fresh legs/blood is going to be so key this off season. We need to younger and faster. We're one of the older teams in the league, and eventually that's going to catch up to us. Some fresh blood could inject the legs/excitement to attempt a three peat. I like Cullen and Bones but having the same four centers as the past two Cup runs seems like a recipe for hitting the wall. Maybe bring back one but not both imo. And of those, the easy answer is Cullen since he'll come cheap and doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven

Yakupov is not going to be good anywhere, because he is not a good player. You have to completely insulate him to be a bit effective, and he is simply not worth it. Sheary already had trouble on defense on Sid's line and he is way better than Yakupov at it. This is not a case of a guy being lazy, he simply does not have it in him. He is a bust. We do not need him, as he would only obstruct the place of players who will be way better.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This Yakupov stuff needs to stop. He's a right wing who can't be converted to any other position because he can't even figure out right wing--which is the easiest position to learn. We have, at minimum, 4 right wings better than him, but, in reality, it's probably more like 8.

We have no job openings at right wing and, even if we did, this guy is ****ing bad. "Would wash out of the AHL" bad. "Glass hurts you less" bad. "Half as good as Tom Sestito" bad. "Evgeni Artyukhin has more hockey sense" bad.

He's in his 6th year of pro hockey and not getting any better. That's not going to change. He just sucks. That's who he is and that's all he'll ever be: a cautionary tale about selecting players who are good athletes, but have no idea how to play the sport. The Pirates would be more justified in putting one of those Indian guys in a starting role than the Penguins would be in signing Yakupov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad