Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And I firmly believe if Yak played with Sid he would net 40+ goals and Sid would win the scoring title. Who's right??? Most likely we'll never know.

One thing Yak brings is that electric speed. What that would do for Sid would be to create time and spacing. For a guy like Sid an extra half second or extra 2ft is huge. It's also one of the reasons I have wanted Hags to roll with Sid for 10+ games and see how it looks. I remember Sully giving Hags one shift in the finals with Sid and it looked magical.

Yaukpov almost certainly isn't smart enough to play with Sid. I don't even think he's as smart as Neal in his ability to find open spots and time and space. There's no way he'd score 40 goals - regardless of who his center is.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I really, REALLY, hope GMJR is on the horn with Grigorenko's agent every day till free agency hits. Perfect target for this team with the holes we have to fill. Get him to sign a 1-2 year deal, he won't break you going to the bank, and the possible reward of reclamation is big. And if he completely busts out, send him to WBS. Signing him is a perfect example of low risk high reward.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
This Yakupov stuff needs to stop. He's a right wing who can't be converted to any other position because he can't even figure out right wing--which is the easiest position to learn. We have, at minimum, 4 right wings better than him, but, in reality, it's probably more like 8.

We have no job openings at right wing and, even if we did, this guy is ****ing bad. "Would wash out of the AHL" bad. "Glass hurts you less" bad. "Half as good as Tom Sestito" bad. "Evgeni Artyukhin has more hockey sense" bad.

He's in his 6th year of pro hockey and not getting any better. That's not going to change. He just sucks. That's who he is and that's all he'll ever be: a cautionary tale about selecting players who are good athletes, but have no idea how to play the sport. The Pirates would be more justified in putting one of those Indian guys in a starting role than the Penguins would be in signing Yakupov.

tell us how you really feel, billy

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While we are extremely slow, I like the idea of a guessing game with hopefully some realism behind it:

- Sheary 3 years 10m total. If he continues his production, he will leave Pittsburgh an extremely rich man at the age of 28. He will hit UFA and be overpaid w/ a lot of term. I think the deal is great for both teams.

- Dumo 4 years @ 3.5-4 would be beautiful.

- Schultz 6 years @ 4.25m. Here's my thinking.. we give in to the term, he gives in to a little bit of cap space. We all win.

- 3C: We sign Bones at 4 years @ 3.75. He takes a slight pay cut to stay where he's happy. We give him the extra year of term to try and even it out.

- UFA targets: Moore, Hanzal if no Bonino, and I look to target Vegas still for a 2018 draft pick for Colin Miller or a defender they are looking to get rid of.

That is a VERY favorable situation for the Pens, IMO.

I like the Sheary deal and think something like that happens providing he and his agent don't get bullish and push for a low one year bridge to repeat the numbers.

Dumo - I balk at 4m for a RFA defensive dman, that's an overpayment compared to market imo and aim more at 3.5m.

Schultz - 6 years makes him 32 at his next contract. I think he'd rather have 4 or 5 years, making him that bit younger and that bit more likely to make serious coin then. I'm guessing 4.75m.

Bones - Hope you're right. Would like Miller as well.

Goaltender - I'd add that we get a Kinkaid or Condon for about a million.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Speaking of Yak, what's Alexander Semin doing these days? Bet he could be had for cheap.

:amazed::popcorn:

I bet you could play a ****ed up game with JR stalking the halls of the Penguins front office and at random times sneak up behind him and say "Semin" and it would just give JR cold chills from that horrid contract. :laugh:

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
And I firmly believe if Yak played with Sid he would net 40+ goals and Sid would win the scoring title. Who's right??? Most likely we'll never know.

One thing Yak brings is that electric speed. What that would do for Sid would be to create time and spacing. For a guy like Sid an extra half second or extra 2ft is huge. It's also one of the reasons I have wanted Hags to roll with Sid for 10+ games and see how it looks. I remember Sully giving Hags one shift in the finals with Sid and it looked magical.
40 goals? Yak? Lolololololol

I guess we have seen how far draft position will take your rep. Seriously what in yaks career would make you think he'd score 40 goals EVER. He has 53 goals in 283 games...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I bet you could play a ****ed up game with JR stalking the halls of the Penguins front office and at random times sneak up behind him and say "Semin" and it would just give JR cold chills from that horrid contract. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure if you constantly startle an old guy who likes to walk around carrying a golf club for whatever reason, sooner or later one of you ends up dead :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hahaha pghkev is still talking about Yak. My goodness are you stubborn. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
40 goals? Yak? Lolololololol

I guess we have seen how far draft position will take your rep. Seriously what in yaks career would make you think he'd score 40 goals EVER

The point is I'm not wrong until he actually plays with Sid, it's just an opinion. Just like everyone else in this thread trashing the kid, just their opinion.

While your laughing, take a trip down memory lane when Schultz signs his new contract and guess what your reaction would have been 24 months ago if I told you that "not only will the Pens trade for Schultz, but they will give him a ______contract for ______ years".

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

Crosby is not even a lock for 40 goals, no one in this entire league is a lock for 40 goals anymore. There is no line combination in the entire NHL where a player is on lock for 40 goals.

But Yak can magically morph into a 40 goal scorer by being coached by HCMS and put to the wing of Crosby?

With all due respect, wouldn't happen. Even on the slim outside chance Yak gets a deal here. 40 goals from him is an outright pipe dream of massive proportions.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Burmistrov didn't receive a qualifying offer - worth looking at?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I do find it funny that the very same people in this thread laughing at the thought of Yak with the Pens in the very same thread claim Hags is irreplaceable.

Hags at 4 million per gave the team 6 goals. I would bet my entire net worth, in fact, my life that Yak would at least double that production and for half of the money.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I'd like to get younger if possible. If we bring back Bones and Cullen we're pretty old down the middle. How long we can keep that up before it bites us? A lot of miles on those legs the past two seasons.

Bringing in some fresh legs/blood is going to be so key this off season. We need to younger and faster. We're one of the older teams in the league, and eventually that's going to catch up to us. Some fresh blood could inject the legs/excitement to attempt a three peat. I like Cullen and Bones but having the same four centers as the past two Cup runs seems like a recipe for hitting the wall. Maybe bring back one but not both imo. And of those, the easy answer is Cullen since he'll come cheap and doesn't want to play anywhere else.

I do generally always lean towards going younger rather than paying full market price for guys past their prime/likely to decline over the life of the contract, but just to note our age issue has definitely been improved a ton over the last couple years. We currently don't have a player signed over 30 for next season which is awesome (and crazy for us).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I do find it funny that the very same people in this thread laughing at the thought of Yak with the Pens in the very same thread claim Hags is irreplaceable.

Hags at 4 million per gave the team 6 goals. I would bet my entire net worth, in fact, my life that Yak would at least double that production and for half of the money.

This the same Yakupov that had 3 goals and 9 points last year?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Has any player had a greater increase in production than 37 goals between one season and another?

exHornet

May 14, 2014
It's unclear to me why the two-time Cup champs would be seriously interested in guys that were not qualified by their previous employers, even though they would have been relatively cheap, and even though their previous employers were not good teams. Particularly when some of these guys have failed on previous teams, as well.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This the same Yakupov that had 3 goals and 9 points last year?

Who was his coach again?? New era coaching that takes a thoroughbred like Yak and tries to make him into mule. You teach guys like Kuhnackl or Wilson the "200ft game". A kid like Yak, you coach around his talent. Nope, not in the arrogant NHL, they are going to either destroy him or whip him into losing all of his instincts.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He was wavied by Winnipeg...and claimed by the Coyotes...he was not qualified by the Coyotes.

Think about that.

I am. I'm still asking because I'd rather hear what he looked like in those spells from anyone who watched him. If people think he looked garbage, fair enough.

It's unclear to me why the two-time Cup champs would be seriously interested in guys that were not qualified by their previous employers, even though they would have been relatively cheap, and even though their previous employers were not good teams. Particularly when some of these guys have failed on previous teams, as well.

Because this team is good at rescuing talent and because the team's situation means we always need more cheap talent (and fresh legs).

I'd like to get younger if possible. If we bring back Bones and Cullen we're pretty old down the middle. How long we can keep that up before it bites us? A lot of miles on those legs the past two seasons.

Bringing in some fresh legs/blood is going to be so key this off season. We need to younger and faster. We're one of the older teams in the league, and eventually that's going to catch up to us. Some fresh blood could inject the legs/excitement to attempt a three peat. I like Cullen and Bones but having the same four centers as the past two Cup runs seems like a recipe for hitting the wall. Maybe bring back one but not both imo. And of those, the easy answer is Cullen since he'll come cheap and doesn't want to play anywhere else.

As long at its at least one more season, I don't see any reason not to do it. I feel like it'd be easy to end up paying more for worse this year given the options.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
- UFA targets: Moore, Hanzal if no Bonino, and I look to target Vegas still for a 2018 draft pick for Colin Miller or a defender they are looking to get rid of.

That is a VERY favorable situation for the Pens, IMO.

The Miller thing won't happen anymore. The Knights are trying to dump Emelin and Sbisa, they want to keep the rest of their D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad