Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Here's my "realistic" off-season...

Trade Talbot to Buffalo for 31 and M. Foligno
Trade Klein to Detroit for picks/prospects

Invite as many veterans as possible to training camp on tryouts, especially RHD.

Nash (7.8) - Brassard (5) - Zuccarello (4.5)
Kreider (2.475) - Stepan (6) - Miller (1.2)
Hagelin (3) - Hayes (.9) - Fast (1)
Foligno (1.875) - Moore (1.5) - Lindberg (.8)
Bourque (.5625)

McDonagh (4.7) - Girardi (5.5)
Staal (5.7) - Boyle (4.5)
Yandle (2.625) - McIlrath (.75)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Fasth (1.25)

Comes in at 70.1375 total payroll.

Issues I have with this roster:
  1. While they still make the playoffs, this team (on paper) is not nearly as good as what we started last season with
  2. It doesn't address the two biggest issues that I believe the Rangers are facing. (1) A lack of a right-handed forward who can dangle-snipe-celly & (2) the ability to spread out the usage of the D. We though Girardi's usage was bad this season? It'd be worse with that top-6.
  3. The next off-season is going to be tough. Re-signing Foligno, Miller, Bourque, Miller, Yandle. Too many years in the row the Rangers have been in a serious cap crunch hell, and it's starting to effect the lineup
  4. This lineup relies EXTREMELY heavily on a couple of kids continuing to develop at the NHL level. Can Miller play in the top-6 consistently? Will Fast and Hayes continue to progress? McIlrath, oh boy
  5. No 7th D. Not a huge issue, but still worth pointing out.

Can't be realistic without a #7 defender. Plus, Glass will be on the roster, or at least whatever penalty there is from sending him to the minors. You need at least $1M to operate the team for the season as well.

Highly likely that Hagelin will be traded. I can't see him signing for $3M unless his BFF's in Brassard and Zucc really put the screws to him, and that's a hard thing to do given they just signed significantly more lucrative deals. Fast can replace some of what Hagelin brings, and the Rangers are a cap-strapped team who can't afford to spend $3.25M+ per year on a 35 point PKer. Albeit one who can change a shift with his speed.

As much of a set back it may be offensively, perhaps now is the time to consider getting out from under Nash's deal. I also don't think it's realistic to retain Yandle beyond this year unless they can move Staal or, god forbid, McDonagh.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can't be realistic without a #7 defender. Plus, Glass will be on the roster, or at least whatever penalty there is from sending him to the minors. You need at least $1M to operate the team for the season as well.

Highly likely that Hagelin will be traded. I can't see him signing for $3M unless his BFF's in Brassard and Zucc really put the screws to him, and that's a hard thing to do given they just signed significantly more lucrative deals. Fast can replace some of what Hagelin brings, and the Rangers are a cap-strapped team who can't afford to spend $3.25M+ per year on a 35 point PKer. Albeit one who can change a shift with his speed.

As much of a set back it may be offensively, perhaps now is the time to consider getting out from under Nash's deal. I also don't think it's realistic to retain Yandle beyond this year unless they can move Staal or, god forbid, McDonagh.

There's a clause hidden in the CBA that if you volunteer a roster player for a NASA mission to Pluto to determine whether or not it is actually a planet, their full hit comes off the books :)

I too am starting to believe that Hagelin will be dealt. Possibly packaged at the draft with Talbot for a pretty good futures return and a roster player.

I, maybe optimistically, do believe that we could unload Glass for a player who's full cap-hit we could stash in the minors, and a late draft pick (like, 40th round, this is the MLB, right?).

Staal will probably be moved next off-season to keep Yandle around under the assumption that Skjei is beating down the door to be the Rangers 3LD in 16/17. Or, maybe they just let Yandle walk for Skjei and keep Staal. I don't know if I'd agree with that move, unless they have a plan to unload Girardi instead...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The more I look at the numbers, the more I think we're going to need to deal Hagelin and hope that Fast can take his minutes...

That, or we really need McIlrath to make the jump.

Hell, if we save about $1m in cap by trading Hagelin, it still doesn't really work.

Think my dream of this team adding Ehrhoff is over :(

I think both Hagelin and Klein get moved.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is what I thought.

Thanks for the diligence!

You're welcome.

There was an understanding at one point that he could potentially acquire the assists bonus... but I think Sather overestimated this, especially if moving Stempniak was to get a guy for the minors...

I'm not sure, but it's possible that Klingberg led to a domino effect for McIlrath considering how well he played on their ECF run.

BarbaraAlphanse

Takedown and SV, thanks for clearing all that up.

So next offseason we have another hectic crunch it looks like.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
There's a clause hidden in the CBA that if you volunteer a roster player for a NASA mission to Pluto to determine whether or not it is actually a planet, their full hit comes off the books :)

I too am starting to believe that Hagelin will be dealt. Possibly packaged at the draft with Talbot for a pretty good futures return and a roster player.

I, maybe optimistically, do believe that we could unload Glass for a player who's full cap-hit we could stash in the minors, and a late draft pick (like, 40th round, this is the MLB, right?).

Staal will probably be moved next off-season to keep Yandle around under the assumption that Skjei is beating down the door to be the Rangers 3LD in 16/17. Or, maybe they just let Yandle walk for Skjei and keep Staal. I don't know if I'd agree with that move, unless they have a plan to unload Girardi instead...

Girardi will be older--I can see him getting moved first. They're both homegrown guys, so I get it, but that's just what I see...

McIlrath is most definitely the 7th defenseman... and I think Klein is traded early in the season if he proves competent... Not sure I agree with that move either since Klein and Girardi are similar players while Girardi makes almost twice as much

BarbaraAlphanse

Without a doubt. I have no evidence to support this, but I think the Rangers look to move Staal and maybe even Girardi next year while keeping Yandle long-term.

I'm gonna guess they move Nash this offseason and Staal the following one.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think a good landing spot for Staal will be in Toronto with Babcock.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Didn't you call the Klein trade?! :laugh:

I did, but that was complete luck. I wish I could say I have inside sources :laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1555925&highlight=

wilson5.gif

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Carl Hagelin for Jakub Silfverberg:

Highly unlikely it will happen, but I would love to Silfverberg. He has an incredible shot but doesn't shoot enough.

The rest of his game is very much a needs fit, but he isn't the fleetest of foot when it comes to skating.

I think this is the sort of shake up trade the team could use and fill its needs.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Carl Hagelin for Jakub Silfverberg:

Highly unlikely it will happen, but I would love to Silfverberg. He has an incredible shot but doesn't shoot enough.

Hey, exactly what the Rangers need more of.

But don't get me wrong. I'd take Silverberg, just not if we have to give up Hags. Also ANA doesn't make that trade. But Hags and Silv on the same line? *drooool*

BarbaraAlphanse

I think we're going to be ****ed in that case.

Klein's contract is too good to give it to another team.

Missing Hags will give a big blow to our chemistry, PK and roster speed.

Losing Nash would be a huge huge mistake though. Keeping him will just mean relying on many rookies or retreads and losing about another 20% of our team.

MSL, Hagelin, talbot, Klein.

4/20 (6 d, 12 f, 2 g). 20% gone.

And same cap problems persist next year.

Lol. But we should be finding ways to add to Nash with our non existent cap flexibility.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

:laugh: If only.

I really hate to see Hagelin go. He's a fantastic role player, but maybe you find a team who thinks he has a bit more offense in his game, and would be a top-six option, who would be willing to overpay for him a bit. Troy Brouwer got a 1st a couple years ago. Give the other team the option to negotiate an extension with him, and I think you could easily nab a 1st rounder.

I think we're probably stuck with Glass unless a team values the fact that he carries a higher cap hit than salary.

Letting Yandle walk would be a big mistake. After giving up two firsts for MSL, only to let him walk (in theory), they can't do the same with Yandle. They either need to make plans to extend him and move Staal, or deal him sooner rather than later to recoup some of the lost assets.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers can't send an offer sheet to anyone, they don't have their 2016 1st rounder.

Not true.

L6sZlsG.png

Every draft selection required for compensation must be from the next draft, except where more than one draft pick from the same round is required for compensation.

If N picks are required from the same round, they must be available in the next N + 1 drafts. So if 4 First Round Picks are owed, the next 5 drafts are eligible

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hey, exactly what the Rangers need more of.

But don't get me wrong. I'd take Silverberg, just not if we have to give up Hags. Also ANA doesn't make that trade. But Hags and Silv on the same line? *drooool*

Well that's the trade off of getting a guy that can and should score 30 but is cheap and hasn't yet.

He was a PPG player in playoffs, but if this guy fired 280 shots on net a year, he'd be a lock for 25 goals.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Losing Nash would be a huge huge mistake though. Keeping him will just mean relying on many rookies or retreads and losing about another 20% of our team.

MSL, Hagelin, talbot, Klein.

4/20 (6 d, 12 f, 2 g). 20% gone.

And same cap problems persist next year.

Lol. But we should be finding ways to add to Nash with our non existent cap flexibility.

I stand by what I said over and over.

#1 priority, get rid of Boyle (I know NMC; just drop the clause Danny) and Talbot. Whatever MSL wants to do, do not resign him.

#2 keep Klein and Nash. Both are great! value! contracts! imo.

#3 I want to rely on some rookies. It is time for the Wrath to step the **** up!!!

#4 the cap is the cap. We'll eventually figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad