Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
That's what teams do when they take a major hit on depth talent.

That is why the Rangers traded Gaborik (aside from feud with Torts). They got depth for 1 player. The following year they went to the cup with a savvy trade and an injured Nash. It is possible to survive and improve after a trade like this.

The Rangers had Nash. You don't need 2 40 goal scorers if you have no depth. Dumping Nash makes absolutely no sense.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I fear that hindsight we will reassess and question "why didn't they trade Nash last offseason".

I fear - actually I know - that if they did trade Nash this summer, you'd be proposing all sorts of deals for a goalscorer at the deadline because the team would have real difficulty scoring goals.

BarbaraAlphanse

The Rangers had Nash. You don't need 2 40 goal scorers if you have no depth. Dumping Nash makes absolutely no sense.

I just explained that Nash was injured and the Rangers survived. Depth wins championships.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think we could all careless about another presidents trophy, but instead a team that can handle the playoff play needs a few tweaks over the current roster.

Look, it happens. We lost in the play offs. The main reason we lost to Tampa, was the complete meltdown by Lundqvist in games 2 and 3. If he even played decent, we'd be in the Finals now after eliminating Tampa in 6 games.

BarbaraAlphanse

I fear - actually I know - that if they did trade Nash this summer, you'd be proposing all sorts of deals for a goalscorer at the deadline because the team would have real difficulty scoring goals.

Perhaps. I'd hope the players we received would have the potential to develop into solid enough goal scorers that we weren't left wanting more. Such as a player like Tatar.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Look, it happens. We lost in the play offs. The main reason we lost to Tampa, was the complete meltdown by Lundqvist in games 2 and 3. If he even played decent, we'd be in the Finals now after eliminating Tampa in 6 games.

Agreed. We lost because of Lundqvist.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
We need to find a better defenseman for the right side, whether it be to replace Klein or Girardi. It'll be easier to move Klein since he has the much more movable contract, and his value is probably higher due to his hot streak at the beginning of the season. Cut the dead weight with MSL and Glass, promote Lindberg, and find a 2nd/3rd line right-handed sniper.

BarbaraAlphanse

So Hank is blamed cause he played 2 bad games in the playoffs, but Nash being invisible for 75% of the playoffs is ok because?

Let's not even discuss MSL and McDonagh, they're on the season **** list too.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nash + for Malkin. Either Shift Stepan to the wing or move him for a younger top 6 winger. Saves cap space and improves the center depth.

But the Pens won't trade Malkin to the Rangers so I guess this is a moot point.

BarbaraAlphanse

Trade McDonagh for depth?

No he is in his mid 20s. He has proven himself in 2/3 playoffs he has played in. Captain. Great value contract.

Completely different scenario. Nash is 30, hasn't showed up in all 3 years of playoffs for us, not a captain, and not a good value.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
quick observation:

We need to free up Kreider, so he can use his speed and strength and bust a move the same like Saad did in the last playoff game, cutting through in front of the crease.

While he serves a purpose with the screening, we could develop/get somebody else for this task.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
No he is in his mid 20s. He has proven himself in 2/3 playoffs he has played in. Captain. Great value contract.

Completely different scenario. Nash is 30, hasn't showed up in all 3 years of playoffs for us, not a captain, and not a good value.

So why not trade him while he still has value?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Nash + for Malkin. Either Shift Stepan to the wing or move him for a younger top 6 winger. Saves cap space and improves the center depth.

Saves cap space? What?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Nash gets savaged around here - can't even begin to think what the fanbase would think of Malkin and his often uninspired play. Big hearty LOL.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Malkin would be a beast if he got away from Crosby... Whenever Crosby gets hurt he steps up. He's the reason why they won the cup

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
quick observation:

We need to free up Kreider, so he can use his speed and strength and bust a move the same like Saad did in the last playoff game, cutting through in front of the crease.

While he serves a purpose with the screening, we could develop/get somebody else for this task.

Kreider is free to make those moves.

Kreider is the one to blame for NOT making those moves.

No one else.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I couldn't disagree more there, we lost because our D couldn't keep up with Tampa. How exactly are they planning to keep up with Tampa next year when Girardi, Klein and Boyle will only get slower while Kucherov, Palat, Johnson will only get quicker?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If the Rangers traded for Malkin then deemed it would be best to move Stepan or a young winger (preferably on an ELC) that would save cap space.

Malkin salary + ELC winger < Nash salary + Stepan (signed at $6 million per).

Oh so we're trading our 42 goal scorer and our number 1 center. Got it. I'm loving this plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad