Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

I stand by what I said over and over.

#1 priority, get rid of Boyle (I know NMC; just drop the clause Danny) and Talbot. Whatever MSL wants to do, do not resign him.

#2 keep Klein and Nash. Both are great! value! contracts! imo.

#3 I want to rely on some rookies. It is time for the Wrath to step the **** up!!!

#4 the cap is the cap. We'll eventually figure something out.

Mcilrath, Lindbergh, if glass is traded ankther rookie or retread, if Hagelin is traded another rookie, and a rookie for msl spot.

Currently we have openings on 4th line wing, 2 openings if we trade glass.

1 opening on 2nd/3rd line wing, 2 if we trade Hagelin.

0 on defense. 1 if we trade one of Klein or Boyle.

5 rookies.

And people expect us to get better? On all those uncertainties??

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
if Chris Stewart is available for $cheap he might be worth taking a look at, but only if he'd consider a Stempniak contract. proper RW who's 6'2 230. I can see his game elevated on a team like ours, but you really don't know. I also like Drew Stafford, decent speed and size, had a great finish to the year in Winnipeg so i think they resign him there. Both guys would play 3rd RW slot but can be bumped up if needed.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Mcilrath, Lindbergh, if glass is traded ankther rookie or retread, if Hagelin is traded another rookie, and a rookie for msl spot.

5 rookies.

Just look at Tampa and how green that team is, they're proving the youth movement can work in the playoffs too

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Chris Stewart would be insanely awesome. Exactly what we need. A Lucic type of guy. He's not exactly a poor man's version of Lucic but he isn't as good either. But cap and stuff.

As for the too many rookies argument.

I see 2-3 spots open. Lindberg and McI, cool. And then, you want to replace Glass. I mean seriously, I don't see anybody worse than Glass himself, so there goes that. Obviously keeping Sheppy on a low contract would be nice. (and actually playing him of course)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Chris Stewart would be a good buy low option if no one wants him. I find that very unlikely though. He'll get at least 2-3 million from someone.

Hagelin doesn't even come close to getting Silfverberg either. Silf had 17 points this past playoffs. His value is the highest it's ever been.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

5 rookies.

When making baseless assumptions that all the current roster players will be better AND rookies will handle NHL play seamlessly, you can project all sorts of false hopes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
McIlrath will take Hunwick's place since he's not waiver exempt. If we send him to Hartford, he has to go through waivers and I am sure some team will claim him.

Our team basically looks like this:

Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Kreider - Stepan (RFA) - Fast (RFA)
Hagelin (RFA) - Hayes - Miller (RFA)
Glass - Moore - **********

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein
McIlrath

I feel Lindberg will get a shot on our 4th line and we could bring Hrivik or Bourque to be the 13th forward. Unless we fail to sign 1 of our RFAs, don't expect many changes to our team.

BarbaraAlphanse

When making baseless assumptions that all the current roster players will be better AND rookies will handle NHL play seamlessly, you can project all sorts of false hopes.

My outlook for next season is bleak. I don't see how this team can improve with Nash still on the books. I see them having to trade off several key depth guys. They'll take a step back irregardless. Imo.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
McIlrath will take Hunwick's place since he's not waiver exempt. If we send him to Hartford, he has to go through waivers and I am sure some team will claim him.

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein
McIlrath

I feel Lindberg will get a shot on our 4th line and we could bring Hrivik or Bourque to be the 13th forward. Unless we fail to sign 1 of our RFAs, don't expect many changes to our team.
the above team struggled to get into the ECF and got bounced, it might require additional tweaks unless you want a similar result.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
the above team struggled to get into the ECF and got bounced, it might require additional tweaks unless you want a similar result.

This team won the President's Trophy, eliminated the Penguins with Crosby and Malkin in 5 games and took Tampa and Washington to 7 games, all while suffering from serious injuries. More so than usually during a post-season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My outlook for next season is bleak. I don't see how this team can improve with Nash still on the books. I see them having to trade off several key depth guys. They'll take a step back irregardless. Imo.

I feel the same way. But its not because of Nash still being on the books, thats for sure. If he goes, I think its a struggle to make the playoffs.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nash just makes too much money for the production he brings. If he had a 6m contract, I'd be fine with it but at almost 8m a year, he should be up there in the hunt for the Art Ross Trophy each season.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Nash just makes too much money for the production he brings. If he had a 6m contract, I'd be fine with it but at almost 8m a year, he should be up there in the hunt for the Art Ross Trophy each season.

... I just don't get it guys. Compared to Kessel for example, Nash's contract is the ****. I think Nash's two-way game is waaaay underrated over here. 7.8 for a guy like Nash is just perfect tbh.

BarbaraAlphanse

I feel the same way. But its not because of Nash still being on the books, thats for sure. If he goes, I think its a struggle to make the playoffs.

If trading Nash allows us to acquire young and good depth while keeping important depth players.... My outlook improves.

If keeping Nash prevents us from keeping depth players and forces us into having to rely on rookies and castaways on cheap contracts... I don't think we are looking at another dominant season.

Too many people on here projecting that these rookies will step in the way that Hayes stepped in.

What if Hayes hits a slump? What if Miller doesn't improve? What if Fast improves in all aspects besides offensive production? What if injuries occur and we need to focus on more retreads and rookies? What if all our rookies come in and exceed expectations but guys like Brassard and Nash regress from their production this season?

What are our answers then?

And similarly, what are our answers for dealing with the same cap problems next year if Nash remains? Trade him then? Why not capitalize on his value now? Same concept as TVM. A dollar now is more valuable than a dollar in the future. I don't think at 30, his value can appreciate. He is a depreciating asset. And the opportunity cost of keeping him is riskier than selling high.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Callahan and Dubinsky make like 6M. Bobby Ryan makes 7.2M. Stastny makes 7M. Spezza makes 7.5M.

I easily would give Nash his contract again.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein
McIlrath

AK, this won't work. After re-signing Hags, Step, Fast, & Miller...even at modest amounts...you're coming in at more than 3 million over the Salary Cap....maybe closer to 4 million over.....and we'll also need to be a little bit under the Cap for operating purposes. Sorry, but this line-up is a Pipe-Dream for 2015-16. It cannot possibly work...ever.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If trading Nash allows us to acquire young and good depth while keeping important depth players.... My outlook improves.

Even if these players are worse than Nash? It doesn't make much sense in the short-term.

I think a Nash/Lundqvist led team deserves one more shot. And if they take a step back, reassess then.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015

If keeping Nash prevents us from keeping depth players and forces us into having to rely on rookies and castaways on cheap contracts... I don't think we are looking at another dominant season.

Too many people on here projecting that these rookies will step in the way that Hayes stepped in.

What if Hayes hits a slump? What if Miller doesn't improve? What if Fast improves in all aspects besides offensive production? What if injuries occur and we need to focus on more retreads and rookies? What if all our rookies come in and exceed expectations but guys like Brassard and Nash regress from their production this season?

What are our answers then?

And similarly, what are our answers for dealing with the same cap problems next year if Nash remains? Trade him then? Why not capitalize on his value now? Same concept as TVM. A dollar now is more valuable than a dollar in the future. I don't think at 30, his value can appreciate. He is a depreciating asset. And the opportunity cost of keeping him is riskier than selling high.

We're also looking at trades and the Free agent market. Talbot does not affect the 18 and spends most of his time on the bench, Klein is a bottom pairing D-man on our team, and Hagelin...although I like him...is a headless chicken. The sky will not fall if we trade these guys and/or pick up a quality UFA.

BarbaraAlphanse

So because the rest of our forwards suck, we have to trade out 42 goal scorer.

That's what teams do when they take a major hit on depth talent.

That is why the Rangers traded Gaborik (aside from feud with Torts). They got depth for 1 player. The following year they went to the cup with a savvy trade and an injured Nash. It is possible to survive and improve after a trade like this.

BarbaraAlphanse

Even if these players are worse than Nash? It doesn't make much sense in the short-term.

I think a Nash/Lundqvist led team deserves one more shot. And if they take a step back, reassess then.

I fear that hindsight we will reassess and question "why didn't they trade Nash last offseason".

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
This team won the President's Trophy, eliminated the Penguins with Crosby and Malkin in 5 games and took Tampa and Washington to 7 games, all while suffering from serious injuries. More so than usually during a post-season.
I think we could all careless about another presidents trophy, but instead a team that can handle the playoff play needs a few tweaks over the current roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad