Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
NHL is a copy cat league.

Rangers have the personnel to run it.

Not that they will but it's worth a shot considering their resources and cap situation

I don't really think they do have the personnel to run it. Who's 7, McI? He, Girardi, Staal and Klein all in? If McI is in the NHL I want Klein gone to save some cap. 4 d men there without much puck moving ability at all.

And a good fourth line is too important to have one guy who's double shifting there IMO. I want the fourth line to be a strength again.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trade Klein for assets.

Yandle McDonagh Staal Boyle Skjei Girardi McIlrath

Manages minutes of some of the vets. Gives every pairing a puck mover. Boyle/Skjei/McIlrath you can play based on matchup/situation. You could try to trade one within the season too. Gives you flexibility.

You can also move Klein for your bottom 6 upgrade. Maybe get another guy on an ELC or fill a style/need based hole there.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Found it on imgur. Knew I had left it there, lol. This could work. If we could dump Glass, it's even better.

BTW, Replace Skapski with a UFA:

The way AV has talked about relying on Hartford for replacements, it wouldn't surprise if we end up going something like:

Nash - Brass - Zuccs
Kreider - Stepan - Fast
Hags - Hayes - Miller
Glass - Moore - Lindberg
Bourque

(Hrivik, Haggerty, and Klingberg could be alternate options depending upon team need).

McD - G
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - McI
Summers

Hank
UFA

It'd be the same cap as above. I think it'd definitely be a weaker team, but what can you do? The cap gets tight, but hopefully Fast, Miller, and Hayes improve upon this past year. A healthy team is key. Unfortunate to lose Klein in this scenario.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I love how everyone even forgets last post-season ever happened. You know, when Callahan and picks were swept in the first round.

Yeah, when Callahan scored in game 3 of the SCF twitter was busting at the seams with posts basically saying something to the effect of Tampa completely fleecing Sather.

As if Callahan is this amazing player leading them to the Cup with his 2 goals, man what a guy.

St. Louis being amazing in our run last year apparently never happened.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Any way we could make Vrbata fit here? He seems to check a lot of the boxes. Shooter, right handed shot, etc.

I think Vancouver would be open to moving him but his cap hit is probably too hefty.

It seems like finding a unicorn will be easier than finding that top-6 winger we need.

Perhaps the best course of action is to get everyone healthy and hope JT can take a big step next season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Any way we could make Vrbata fit here? He seems to check a lot of the boxes. Shooter, right handed shot, etc.

I think Vancouver would be open to moving him but his cap hit is probably too hefty.

It seems like finding a unicorn will be easier than finding that top-6 winger we need.

Perhaps the best course of action is to get everyone healthy and hope JT can take a big step next season.

If Vancouver retained 50% then yeah I'd consider it. His skating isn't great, and the mgmt team in Vancouver really thought he dogged it in the playoffs.

He fits a need, but I think the Rangers will go younger for that option. Tough thing is that commodity is a hard one to find.

RH shooting goal scorer, bangs bodies, has size. Net front option on the PP.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

He has only one year left on his deal, btw.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The way AV has talked about relying on Hartford for replacements, it wouldn't surprise if we end up going something like:

Nash - Brass - Zuccs
Kreider - Stepan - Fast
Hags - Hayes - Miller
Glass - Moore - Lindberg
Bourque

(Hrivik, Haggerty, and Klingberg could be alternate options depending upon team need).

McD - G
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - McI
Summers

Hank
UFA

It'd be the same cap as above. I think it'd definitely be a weaker team, but what can you do? The cap gets tight, but hopefully Fast, Miller, and Hayes improve upon this past year. A healthy team is key. Unfortunate to lose Klein in this scenario.

Basically using current assets but is move Hayes to 2nd line rw and either sign a cheap C or let Lindberg

I think we see talbot and Boyle moved . Keep Klein . Guess it all depends on waiving Boyle no trade

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

please no more >30 guys

let Lindberg/Klingberg/Hrivik have that roster spot

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Disappointed to hear the Klingberg news this AM, was hoping he would get a shot on the 4th line this year. Still a young player, has the size AV was talking about adding, seemed to play well with HFD. Oh well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The more I look at the numbers, the more I think we're going to need to deal Hagelin and hope that Fast can take his minutes...

That, or we really need McIlrath to make the jump.

Hell, if we save about $1m in cap by trading Hagelin, it still doesn't really work.

Think my dream of this team adding Ehrhoff is over :(

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Looking at the Rangers contracted players for 2015-16.

These are the NMC's--Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Boyle

These are the NTC's--Zuccarello--perhaps Nash--some question whether or not the clause was voided after he accepted his trade to the Rangers

These are the modified NTC's--Brassard, McDonagh, Moore.

As of now in 2016-17 only Lundqvist and Staal will have NMC's. Boyle will need a new contract from somebody or he'll retire. Girardi's contract moves to a modified NTC.

Zuccarello only has a NTC for 15-16--there will be no movement restrictions afterwards. Nash will remain a ? I suppose unless and until the Rangers actually try to trade him. Again the ? is whether or not his trade to the Rangers voided the clause.

Brassard and McDonagh will continue on with modified NTC's--as mentioned above Girardi joins them. Moore will need a new contract.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
I think people have been conservative on their Stepan estimates at 6mil FWIW, and if it were up to his family I'm sure they'd want him to milk the Rangers for every penny rather than take a discount. He has all the leverage.

I'd say 6.25 mil seems like the best case scenario.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here's my "realistic" off-season...

Trade Talbot to Buffalo for 31 and M. Foligno
Trade Klein to Detroit for picks/prospects

Invite as many veterans as possible to training camp on tryouts, especially RHD.

Nash (7.8) - Brassard (5) - Zuccarello (4.5)
Kreider (2.475) - Stepan (6) - Miller (1.2)
Hagelin (3) - Hayes (.9) - Fast (1)
Foligno (1.875) - Moore (1.5) - Lindberg (.8)
Bourque (.5625)

McDonagh (4.7) - Girardi (5.5)
Staal (5.7) - Boyle (4.5)
Yandle (2.625) - McIlrath (.75)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Fasth (1.25)

Comes in at 70.1375 total payroll.

Issues I have with this roster:
  1. While they still make the playoffs, this team (on paper) is not nearly as good as what we started last season with
  2. It doesn't address the two biggest issues that I believe the Rangers are facing. (1) A lack of a right-handed forward who can dangle-snipe-celly & (2) the ability to spread out the usage of the D. We though Girardi's usage was bad this season? It'd be worse with that top-6.
  3. The next off-season is going to be tough. Re-signing Foligno, Miller, Bourque, Miller, Yandle. Too many years in the row the Rangers have been in a serious cap crunch hell, and it's starting to effect the lineup
  4. This lineup relies EXTREMELY heavily on a couple of kids continuing to develop at the NHL level. Can Miller play in the top-6 consistently? Will Fast and Hayes continue to progress? McIlrath, oh boy
  5. No 7th D. Not a huge issue, but still worth pointing out.

BarbaraAlphanse

Here's my "realistic" off-season...

Trade Talbot to Buffalo for 31 and M. Foligno
Trade Klein to Detroit for picks/prospects

Invite as many veterans as possible to training camp on tryouts, especially RHD.

Nash (7.8) - Brassard (5) - Zuccarello (4.5)
Kreider (2.475) - Stepan (6) - Miller (1.2)
Hagelin (3) - Hayes (.9) - Fast (1)
Foligno (1.875) - Moore (1.5) - Lindberg (.8)
Bourque (.5625)

McDonagh (4.7) - Girardi (5.5)
Staal (5.7) - Boyle (4.5)
Yandle (2.625) - McIlrath (.75)

Lundqvist (8.5)
Fasth (1.25)

Comes in at 70.1375 total payroll.

Issues I have with this roster:
  1. While they still make the playoffs, this team (on paper) is not nearly as good as what we started last season with
  2. It doesn't address the two biggest issues that I believe the Rangers are facing. (1) A lack of a right-handed forward who can dangle-snipe-celly & (2) the ability to spread out the usage of the D. We though Girardi's usage was bad this season? It'd be worse with that top-6.
  3. The next off-season is going to be tough. Re-signing Foligno, Miller, Bourque, Miller, Yandle. Too many years in the row the Rangers have been in a serious cap crunch hell, and it's starting to effect the lineup
  4. This lineup relies EXTREMELY heavily on a couple of kids continuing to develop at the NHL level. Can Miller play in the top-6 consistently? Will Fast and Hayes continue to progress? McIlrath, oh boy
  5. No 7th D. Not a huge issue, but still worth pointing out.

Hayes' bonus carry over....

BarbaraAlphanse

What bonuses did he trigger last year and for how much?

I don't know. Nhl numbers has his salary st 3.75. I'm guessing that is the max hit he can accumulate due to bonuses.

But I'm gonna assume at least 1 mill.

45 points.
Over 15 goals.
Over 25 assists.
Played in 79 games.
Played in all 19 playoff games.

Those are all pretty significant milestones. Let's say he makes 250k for the first four and 100k for the last one. His contract is an even 2 mill.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't know. Nhl numbers has his salary st 3.75. I'm guessing that is the max hit he can accumulate due to bonuses.

But I'm gonna assume at least 1 mill.

45 points.
Over 15 goals.
Over 25 assists.
Played in 79 games.
Played in all 19 playoff games.

Those are all pretty significant milestones. Let's say he makes 250k for the first four and 100k for the last one. His contract is an even 2 mill.

How about you try LOOKING at the possible bonus' you can earn?

Kevin Hayes Bonus Plan for 2015-16 (same plan as was for 2014-15):

Hayes is eligible for up to $2,850,000 in bonuses. The $2,850,000 is split up into $850,000 of Type A bonuses and $2 million in Type B bonuses. Type A bonuses can pay him $212,500 for each of the following categories, capped at $850,000 in aggregate:
RX3mAPJ.jpg

The $2 million in Type B bonuses are much less attainable. They can include a bonus for a top-three finish in Calder voting to the following maximums:
◾First: $212,500
◾Second: $150,000
◾Third: $100,000

The Calder bonus could be in play for Hayes in one of his two seasons on his entry-level deal (obviously not both).

Other Type B bonuses are awarded for:
◾Top-five finish in Hart, Selke, or Rocket Richard voting
◾Top-three finish in Lady Byng voting
◾Conn Smythe win
◾Being named to the NHL’s first or second All-Star team
◾Finishing top ten in the league in goals, assists, points or points per game

I copied & pasted most of this info from Rangers Unlimited. It should be accurate. Hayes did not make any bonus this past season, but I can easily see him hitting 20 goals or 35 assists this upcoming season....or both if we get lucky. Whatever he gets, if it goes over the Cap because the Rangers don't leave enough Cap Space, they can take the Cap Hit in 2016-17 for whatever amount he earned. That'll suck...because we have key signings coming up after next season, and every penny will count...but it is what it is.

Ice Time? Nope
Goals? Nope
Assists? Nope
Points? Nope
PPG? Nope
+/-? Nope
AHL All Rookie Team? Nope
All star game? Nope
All Star Game MVP? Nope...

There are NO Bonuses for Hayes...

Status
Not open for further replies.