Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Still way too low a percentage to consider a pick "talent"

We traded a 3rd liner with a crucifixion of a contract for a 1st liner whose contract is expiring just as his use is expiring.

I do that trade all over again every single day, twice on holidays, maybe three times if I'm in a good mood.

I think the theory behind the deal was sound, though still a steep price.

With that said, I can't say I'd do that particular trade over again. I think there were other options for Callahan that I would've liked to explore.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the theory behind the deal was sound, though still a steep price.

With that said, I can't say I'd do that particular trade over again. I think there were other options for Callahan that I would've liked to explore.

If I could do it over, I'd probably wanna pass on the conditional 1st for going to the ECF, but at the time, who thought we would? Now being an established contender, that condition becomes steeper, but hindsight is 20/20. We were only a 5 seed in the conference that year.

Still, it's far from being a bad trade. Callahan's contract is brutal.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
If I could do it over, I'd probably wanna pass on the conditional 1st for going to the ECF, but at the time, who thought we would?

Letting him walk and keeping the first rounders was an option.

As I said though, that's not a trade I overturn. I'll trade two late firsts to see my team go to the finals then win the President's Trophy.

BarbaraAlphanse

As I said though, that's not a trade I overturn. I'll trade two late firsts to see my team go to the finals then win the President's Trophy.

We probably win the cup this year if MSL performs the same way he did last playoffs.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Read my recent post in the Hayes thread. Hayes' incentive plan is laid out clearly. It was implied that my post was a waste of space....but I at least hope you'll find it informative. I expect him to make some bonus....maybe upwards of 1 mil in bonus.

Didn't mean the post was a waste of space--just that we (here) don't have control over the cap amount or what contracts teams offer. And especially with Hayes, if those bonuses (which are set by the CBA and are pretty standard in an ELC for a player like Hayes) happen, well, that's the cost of getting him into a Rangers sweater--which has turned out better than almost everyone's wildest dreams. I can't wait to watch him again next season--if he doesn't switch numbers, I might even break down and get a jersey, something I rarely do.

My motto: can't sweat too much over what you can't control.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

MSL helped us get to the Finals and I think that's a memory people take for granted. The picks were 29th and 28th anyway.

We probably win the cup this year if MSL performs the same way he did last playoffs.

And if he performs the same way last year that he did this year, we lose to Pittsburgh.

BarbaraAlphanse

MSL helped us get to the Finals and I think that's a memory people take for granted. The picks were 29th and 28th anyway.

And if he performs the same way last year that he did this year, we lose to Pittsburgh.

I'm disappointed you didn't get the quote.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If I could do it over, I'd probably wanna pass on the conditional 1st for going to the ECF, but at the time, who thought we would? Now being an established contender, that condition becomes steeper, but hindsight is 20/20. We were only a 5 seed in the conference that year.

Callahan's contract is going to look particularly brutal in a couple of years.

I like Callahan, I don't wish any ill to him, but I will admit to being disappointed in how he approached his contract. It's well within his rights, and it's certainly in his best interest, but I was still disappointed.

With regards to the trade, I felt the conditional pick was what put things over the top.

I don't mind moving a first round pick, in the right deal, but I will admit to not being crazy about having no first round picks for as long as we will.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Didn't mean the post was a waste of space--just that we (here) don't have control over the cap amount or what contracts teams offer.

Of course we don't. Does that mean we shouldn't educate ourselves?

And especially with Hayes, if those bonuses (which are set by the CBA and are pretty standard in an ELC for a player like Hayes) happen, well, that's the cost of getting him into a Rangers sweater

And what's wrong with being familiar with those costs?

--which has turned out better than almost everyone's wildest dreams. I can't wait to watch him again next season--if he doesn't switch numbers, I might even break down and get a jersey, something I rarely do.

I'm looking forward to next year, too.

My motto: can't sweat too much over what you can't control.

By that logic, we shouldn't sweat Rangers' games. Unless you're one of those clowns that gets a seat behind the net and incessantly bangs on the glass...convinced that it'll affect the outcome of the game :P

Anyway, our "sweating" and "caring" when it comes to the Rangers is why this community is so active. :) Replying to posts that pass on contract information with statements like "I could care less" may come off as antagonistic. What's done is done, though....even if I don't get it...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Found it on imgur. Knew I had left it there, lol. This could work. If we could dump Glass, it's even better.

BTW, Replace Skapski with a UFA:

Too bad they are going to be priced out of Soderberg. I'm still doing that Rattie deal from last week and you can platoon Lindberg and Glass. Or you can go 11/7 and not need Glass. Be about 3.5 million under the cap too.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Another thing we keep forgetting, and full credit goes to 31 for his post from the beginning of the season, but Glass' contract becomes very easily movable after he gets his July 1 bonus.

Also, don't forget that our pick to Arizona was conditional on whether or not we make the playoffs. Sign me up for the one season tank #TankForMatthews :sarcasm:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I like that lineup Sirius, but if we're giving Soderberg $3.3M, I'd prefer to just give that contract to Hagelin

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Of course we don't. Does that mean we shouldn't educate ourselves?

And what's wrong with being familiar with those costs?

I'm looking forward to next year, too.

By that logic, we shouldn't sweat Rangers' games. Unless you're one of those clowns that gets a seat behind the net and incessantly bangs on the glass...convinced that it'll affect the outcome of the game :P

Anyway, our "sweating" and "caring" when it comes to the Rangers is why this community is so active. :) Replying to posts that pass on contract information with statements like "I could care less" may come off as antagonistic. What's done is done, though....even if I don't get it...

Please don't be so literal, I was trying to make up for the fact that original post was written at 3:30am and I was too tired to go back and edit it. I won't bore you with the details of my life, but work a lot of hours.

I guess the difference for me is I'm a fan first and while I love watching hockey, am more than willing to look at the ideas other fans have (but you may have noticed, don't really spend any time proposing trades), I really don't want to get too obsessed with the business aspect of it all.

On the other hand, I've read most of the CBA when it was first published, because I am detailed oriented and want to understand what's going on. Go figure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Planning to go 11/7 for an entire season is questionable at best IMO. Rangers need forward depth.

This is a myth. The Rangers have forward depth. What they need is better scoring from their forwards. That's why you trade Hagelin for a young righty with finishing ability on an ELC, like Rattie.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Agreed. Not a good idea. Ideally you want everyone to know their linemates it partners well and be absolutely sure who they're going to be out with.

NHL is a copy cat league.

Rangers have the personnel to run it.

Not that they will but it's worth a shot considering their resources and cap situation

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Definitely need to fix the fourth line aka ditch Glass's useless ass.

Let's just hope the organization is willing to look for cheaper options and can find a taker for Glass. However, given that AV played him over other options all season and that he played pretty well (all things considered) in the playoffs, I'm not going to hold my breath. I don't like the way I look when I'm turning blue in the face and passing out is definitely not something I want to grow accustom to either. ;)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Let's just hope the organization is willing to look for cheaper options and can find a taker for Glass. However, given that AV played him over other options all season and that he played pretty well (all things considered) in the playoffs, I'm not going to hold my breath. I don't like the way I look when I'm turning blue in the face and passing out is definitely not something I want to grow accustom to either. ;)

Dr. Rangerlove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Tanner Glass.

I am definitely aging myself with the reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad