Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't remember exactly, but looking at his yearly stats, Grigorenko played 25 games in the NHL in 2012-2013 and also played in Juniors--which means Buffalo burned a year of his ELC that season before sending him back to Juniors. Three years of professional hockey, so needs to go through waivers--unless there is an exception in the CBA. Doubt it though, but don't quote me on this...:D

That is my thinking, too.

3 year ELC that was somehow burned irresponsibly by the Sabres that now means he's eligible for waivers upon his next contract.

BarbaraAlphanse

How about we sign American Pharoah? He's 3 years old, that's gotta be ELC right?

Jokes aside, the Rangers need to make a move.

They're not going to be able to improve.

Stepan, at 5.5 million minimum, eats a lot of their space.

Hagelin will get an increase. Talbot and Staal already got increases.

Hayes has an unidentified bonus that carries onto our cap next year. He scored 45 points, more than 15 goals, more than 25 assists, and played in 79 games, plus all 19 playoff games. NHL numbers has his cap hit at 3.75 mill. His base salary is 900k. Do they account for complete potential of bonuses? If so, conservatively, he must have made at least 1 million dollars in bonuses with those accolades. Add another million + to the cap.

Fast and Miller are due for slight bumps. Rangers need to sign someone to take Marty's position on the ice. How about a spare forward? What if someone goes down with injury? We had an albatross amount of injuries happen in the first 2 months this year. What will they just roll with 12 forwards and 6 D?

"Keep Nash and give it another go around with this group". We're not getting another go around with group. Be realistic. This team is going to take a significant hit in talent next year. And balance. Rangers will need to rely on more IFs than they should. And for what? To keep Nash?

I'd understand if this guy made a difference when it mattered. He doesn't make enough of it to justify losing all these young guys. He simply does not. And there is no way around it. I'm on excel fidgeting around with contract scenarios. No scenario leads to another cup contender, next year. Prove me wrong and do it yourself.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Jokes aside, the Rangers need to make a move.

They're not going to be able to improve.

Stepan, at 5.5 million minimum, eats a lot of their space.

Hagelin will get an increase. Talbot and Staal already got increases.

Hayes has an unidentified bonus that carries onto our cap next year. He scored 45 points, more than 15 goals, more than 25 assists, and played in 79 games, plus all 19 playoff games. NHL numbers has his cap hit at 3.75 mill. His base salary is 900k. Do they account for complete potential of bonuses? If so, conservatively, he must have made at least 1 million dollars in bonuses with those accolades. Add another million + to the cap.

Fast and Miller are due for slight bumps. Rangers need to sign someone to take Marty's position on the ice. How about a spare forward? What if someone goes down with injury? We had an albatross amount of injuries happen in the first 2 months this year. What will they just roll with 12 forwards and 6 D?

"Keep Nash and give it another go around with this group". We're not getting another go around with group. Be realistic. This team is going to take a significant hit in talent next year. And balance. Rangers will need to rely on more IFs than they should. And for what? To keep Nash?

I'd understand if this guy made a difference when it mattered. He doesn't make enough of it to justify losing all these young guys. He simply does not. And there is no way around it. I'm on excel fidgeting around with contract scenarios. No scenario leads to another cup contender, next year. Prove me wrong and do it yourself.

lol, definitely bookmarking this gem.

BarbaraAlphanse

lol, definitely bookmarking this gem.

Why not just address why you think it is stupid on the spot rather than writing a facetious and contemptuous response that doesn't add to the conversation?

Make the numbers work. Prove me wrong. Or are you waiting for someone else to do it? "How lazy can you get?".

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Hagelin will get an increase.

May very well be traded. I'm almost expecting it.

Talbot and Staal already got increases.
Talbot will most likely be traded.

Read my recent post in the Hayes thread. Hayes' incentive plan is laid out clearly. It was implied that my post was a waste of space....but I at least hope you'll find it informative. I expect him to make some bonus....maybe upwards of 1 mil in bonus.

After trading Talbot and either Hags or Klein (or both)...we'll have the space. 7th & 13th are 600k to 800k contracts IMO...they'll fit w/o issue.

We're not taking a significant hit in talent next year. I've posted rosters over the last few weeks that involve minimal moves, and we are stronger...not weaker. So has Savant. Worst case, we are about the same. Nash is imperative to keep on those Rosters, BTW.

No comment.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think if we can play Staal or Yandle on the right-side of that second pairing, we could package Klein to recoup prospects or get a forward in return instead for Klein.

You cannot...repeat cannot...play Yandle on the right side.

In fact, he had trouble in Phoenix playing on the left with any defenseman who wasn't right handed. Of course, a lot of them weren't any good.

Repeat, Yandle cannot play on the right side.

That is all.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

May very well be traded. I'm almost expecting it.

Talbot will most likely be traded.

Read my recent post in the Hayes thread. Hayes' incentive plan is laid out clearly. It was implied that my post was a waste of space....but I at least hope you'll find it informative. I expect him to make some bonus....maybe upwards of 1 mil in bonus.

After trading Talbot and either Hags or Klein (or both)...we'll have the space. 7th & 13th are 600k to 800k contracts IMO...they'll fit w/o issue.

We're not taking a significant hit in talent next year. I've posted rosters over the last few weeks that involve minimal moves, and we are stronger...not weaker. So has Savant. Worst case, we are about the same. Nash is imperative to keep on those Rosters, BTW.

No comment.

Except, I'd be shocked if Hagelin is traded. So entertain me and say Hagelin is not traded... what happens then?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Why not just address why you think it is stupid on the spot rather than writing a facetious and contemptuous response that doesn't add to the conversation?

Make the numbers work. Prove me wrong. Or are you waiting for someone else to do it? "How lazy can you get?".

Rather than argue with you, I'd prefer to just wait until you're wrong and laugh in hindsight.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Except, I'd be shocked if Hagelin is traded. So entertain me and say Hagelin is not traded... what happens then?

Then we absolutely trade Talbot & Klein....and come up with a roster that is similar in talent to the last one.

A Yakupov trade involving Talbot & Klein, while keeping Hags, would work.

I'll run the numbers again. I didn't save that roster.

I also had a very sweet roster involving signing Soderberg for 3.3 mil and trading Hags, Talbot, and Klein for merely picks.

BarbaraAlphanse

Rather than argue with you, I'd prefer to just wait until you're wrong and laugh in hindsight.

Well that is no fun? You're taking no risk in putting yourself and your opinion out there? It's easy being "right" when you sit back, criticize others, and don't offer an opinion yourself.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Then we absolutely trade Talbot & Klein....and come up with a roster that is similar in talent to the last one.

I also had a very sweet roster involving signing Soderberg for 3.3 mil and trading Hags, Talbot, and Klein for merely picks.

Running the numbers again, all 3 would have to go. Klein, Hags, and Talbot. All three are expendable. Not the end of the world.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
He (Ehrhoff) was pretty bad for the Penguins. If he wants to play here I'd give him whatever is leftover after we get the rest of our roster done. Would rather hand him leftover cash than MSL, but we'd probably be loyal to our dinosaur.

Different POV here...I thought he was playing very well for the Penguins before his first concussion.

Nevertheless...he ain't coming...$ squeeze and concussion history make it very unlikely

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
Well that is no fun? You're taking no risk in putting yourself and your opinion out there? It's easy being "right" when you sit back, criticize others, and don't offer an opinion yourself.

"The Rangers are going to take a significant hit in talent."

"Trade Nash."

BarbaraAlphanse

Talbot and Klein would have to be traded for purely picks. Meaning no Foligno, Yakupov, Grigorenko, etc.

I'm being really conservative with the $$ i'm giving our players set for increases/being paid bonuses.

Hayes I have a 2 million flat. He could easily count against the cap more.

Lindberg I have at 700k. He was at 600k now, but I believe considering he is a FA, he's set to make a slight increase. I don't know how much. I gave an extra 100k.

Fast and Miller I have at 1.1, which I think is fair value.

Hagelin I have taking 2.75 mill for 1 year. If he is extended long term, that number could be as high as 3.5-3.7.

Stepan I have at 5.5. Many on here suggest he's looking at north of 6.

I traded Klein and substituted him with Erhoff at 2 million. People on here are estimating that some team will giving him 4+.

I traded Talbot and substituted his position with Gustavsson at 800k.

McIlrath needs to be on the roster otherwise he is hitting waivers. 900k.

If you can find a way to fit that all in without trading away many of them/lowballing players considerably, I'll tip my cap off to you.

BarbaraAlphanse

Here is a roster, Rust. Ignore the L's ad R's in red & blue. Just look at the names & salaries:

Hayes' bonus cash, which is not being counted by anyone on here, makes this much harder. Not to take away from your roster. I like it a lot.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Talbot and Klein would have to be traded for purely picks. Meaning no Foligno, Yakupov, Grigorenko, etc.

I'm being really conservative with the $$ i'm giving our players set for increases/being paid bonuses.

Hayes I have a 2 million flat. He could easily count against the cap more.

Lindberg I have at 700k. He was at 600k now, but I believe considering he is a FA, he's set to make a slight increase. I don't know how much. I gave an extra 100k.

Fast and Miller I have at 1.1, which I think is fair value.

Hagelin I have taking 2.75 mill for 1 year. If he is extended long term, that number could be as high as 3.5-3.7.

Stepan I have at 5.5. Many on here suggest he's looking at north of 6.

I traded Klein and substituted him with Erhoff at 2 million. People on here are estimating that some team will giving him 4+.

I traded Talbot and substituted his position with Gustavsson at 800k.

McIlrath needs to be on the roster otherwise he is hitting waivers. 900k.

If you can find a way to fit that all in without trading away many of them/lowballing players considerably, I'll tip my cap off to you.

You're overthinking. Don't panic. Hayes making more than 850k in bonus is incredibly unlikely.

I've been one of the guys saying that trades would happen and are necessary. I have no intention of trying to fit everyone in w/o trades...because it won't work.

Just letting you know that we will be fine next year. No worries.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Hayes' bonus cash, which is not being counted by anyone on here, makes this much harder. Not to take away from your roster. I like it a lot.

Cap should be 71 mil (I hope)...but we can carry over whatever does not fit. It will not be a ton of cash, if indeed there is anything to carry over at all.

BarbaraAlphanse

And again, what about the elephant in the room about next offseason.

How are the Rangers extending (at least) Kreider and Hayes?

Kreider is making 2.6 now. Hayes 900k now.

Hayes is looking to jump up to at least 3.5 if he puts up another performance next year like the one this year.

Kreider is looking to jump to?

Where are we accounting for the extra 3.5-4.5 mill it'll take to keep those two?

BarbaraAlphanse

Cap should be 71 mil (I hope)...but we can carry over whatever does not fit. It will not be a ton of cash, if indeed there is anything to carry over at all.

I view it as an inevitability that Nash will be traded. If not this offseason, than 100% the offseason afterwards.

I also don't think Hagelin is leaving.

My pros and cons:

Pros
Nash's value won't get higher, most likely, after this offseason.
You keep your core for the foreseeable future and avoid problems this year and next year.
You spread young talented depth around the rest of our lines.

Cons
You lose a leader in the locker room
You lose a top 3 goal scorer in the league
You substitute experience with inexperience

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
And again, what about the elephant in the room about next offseason.

How are the Rangers extending (at least) Kreider and Hayes?

Kreider is making 2.6 now. Hayes 900k now.

Hayes is looking to jump up to at least 3.5 if he puts up another performance next year like the one this year.

Kreider is looking to jump to?

Where are we accounting for the extra 3.5-4.5 mill it'll take to keep those two?

So now you want to look forward another year, but you shouldn't. A lot depends on performance this upcoming season.

But if I had to guess,there will be another trade or two next off-season. It's business.

Also, don't forget, Boyle & Moore leaving frees up 6 mil. Of that, 2 mil goes to Kreider, 2 mil to Hayes, and then 2 mil to Yandle. Plus the salary cap goes up to at least 73 mil (minimum) with any luck. That leaves enough to top off Yandle's contract, with leftover.

But like I said, there will probably be turnover...like there always is. Not worried at all.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I view it as an inevitability that Nash will be traded. If not this offseason, than 100% the offseason afterwards.

Not on my planet. :)

I also don't think Hagelin is leaving.

Meh. A good guy and a hustler.....but tin can hands, no vision, no playmaking ability, no shot, etc... He is replaceable. Amazing that Hags is irreplaceable to you, yet Nash is Trash. (No offense, I just don't get it...but that's for the Nash thread)

My pros and cons:

Pros
Nash's value won't get higher, most likely, after this offseason.
You keep your core for the foreseeable future and avoid problems this year and next year.
You spread young talented depth around the rest of our lines.

Cons
You lose a leader in the locker room
You lose a top 3 goal scorer in the league
You substitute experience with inexperience

No comment other than "Nash stays".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad