Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yandle-McDonagh
Staal-Boyle
Ehrhoff-Klein
Hunwick/McIlrath

Girardi/Talbot for Top-6 winger.

That would be a great off season.

No to McDonagh on the right side.

Klein/Talbot to clear cap and recoup draft picks/prospects/cost-controlled NHL bodies.

Ehrhoff 1yr, $4m

McDonagh - G
Staal - Ehrhoff
Yandle - Boyle
McIlrath

Explore trades for Girardi/Staal next off-season, after we win the cup, of course.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

Klein/Talbot to clear cap and recoup draft picks/prospects/cost-controlled NHL bodies.

Ehrhoff 1yr, $4m

McDonagh - G
Staal - Ehrhoff
Yandle - Boyle
McIlrath

Explore trades for Girardi/Staal next off-season, after we win the cup, of course.
The issue with the D is that you're paring Yandle and Boyle, and Yandle should be getting more minutes 3rd pairing. Boyle will barely play 40 games, so might as well pencil in someone else to start.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Ehrhoff 1yr, $4m

McDonagh - G
Staal - Ehrhoff
Yandle - Boyle
McIlrath

That probably wouldn't fit under the cap.

BarbaraAlphanse

Erhoff for 1 year 2 mill plus incentives to earn up to 3 mill.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Erhoff is a top4D. He'll get at least 3.5 from someone.

He was pretty bad for the Penguins. If he wants to play here I'd give him whatever is leftover after we get the rest of our roster done. Would rather hand him leftover cash than MSL, but we'd probably be loyal to our dinosaur.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The issue with the D is that you're paring Yandle and Boyle, and Yandle should be getting more minutes 3rd pairing. Boyle will barely play 40 games, so might as well pencil in someone else to start.

Oh, I was unaware that you were Dan Boyle's doctor.

That probably wouldn't fit under the cap.

Yeah, probably not.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna work on a really long post that maybe one person will read outlining what I actually want the Rangers to do this off-season, and make it all cap compliant.

I have had fun posting about 70 different lineups today though :laugh:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Ehrhoff at 4 definitely won't fit. Hes making Buffalo money still. If he values a shot at a cup over money, he could come here cheap. I don't know what he wants to do, but I wouldn't make any major roster moves to accommodate him at a high cap hit.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Ehrhoff at 4 definitely won't fit. Hes making Buffalo money still. If he values a shot at a cup over money, he could come here cheap. I don't know what he wants to do, but I wouldn't make any major roster moves to accommodate him at a high cap hit.

It's too bad the guy in your avi didn't, and at $1 per, I don't see him doing so either. He'd be a decent #4 who can play PP but he'll get overpayed by someone else at prob 4-4.5 IMO

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
It's too bad the guy in your avi didn't, and at $1 per, I don't see him doing so either. He'd be a decent #4 who can play PP but he'll get overpayed by someone else at prob 4-4.5 IMO

Erhoff still has the rest of his 40M contract coming to him from Buffalo deal, so yes its possible that getting the absolutely most on a 1YR deal wouldn't be paramount to him. Pouliot was almost out of the league Christmas of last year. Huge difference.

Also, he made 4 last year. How exactly does missing half the season with 2 concussions RAISE your value?

Last edited:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Quick scrap math using a $70.5m cap next year, and yeah, this doesn't fit. Hell, we can barely fit a team if we keep Klein.

That guy is a goner.

Stepan @ 6m
Hagelin @ 2.8m
Lindberg @ .8m
Fast @ 1m
Miller @ 1.2m
McIlrath @ .75m

Are those fair assessments?

I think Hags, if he isn't traded, comes in at a 3/4Yr deal worth 3.1-3.3AAV.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Quick scrap math using a $70.5m cap next year, and yeah, this doesn't fit. Hell, we can barely fit a team if we keep Klein.

That guy is a goner.

Stepan @ 6m
Hagelin @ 2.8m
Lindberg @ .8m
Fast @ 1m
Miller @ 1.2m
McIlrath @ .75m

I would think so. And yeah its either Klein or Hagelin, or not going to happen, Girardi/Staal. I think Ehrhoff is a 2mill signing at most.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

That guy is a goner.

Stepan @ 6m
Hagelin @ 2.8m
Lindberg @ .8m
Fast @ 1m
Miller @ 1.2m
McIlrath @ .75m

Hagelin is too low. But there isn't room left for him. We are in a rough position.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I wish . I'd take foligno straight up

I think AV realizes w little cap space they need mcilrath , bourque , Lindberg to play
That might just be a blessing in disguise. R.Bourque is a Callahan lite, just lacks the scoring touch, perfect for 4th line duties. Lindberg still could be a very good 3C, he can start on the 4th line and work his way up. McIlrath brings a true crease clearing, hard hitting, deterrent presence we lack.

Our D is soft. We lack a shooter in the top 9. That shooter might just have to be acquired in season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's an RFA coming off the same exact production since signing the deal. $2.8 would favor the Rangers but it's not too far off. maybe $100-200k more

I agree with Dactyl. I don't see him signing for $2.8 million.

Maybe the Rangers could get him for about $3.15-$3.25.

I would not be surprised if he goes in shooting for closer $3.5.

BarbaraAlphanse

I agree with Dactyl. I don't see him signing for $2.8 million.

Maybe the Rangers could get him for about $3.15-$3.25.

I would not be surprised if he goes in shooting for closer $3.5.

Rangers can sign him for about 2.8, but it would be a pinch 1 year deal and then he'd have UFA status leverage during the next negotiations.

In fact, I think 1 yr for about 2.75 m is exactly what he will get if he signs a 1 year deal.

BarbaraAlphanse

I honestly don't see how this team remains in tact with all 3 of Nash, Girardi, and Staal on the roster.

Players that the Rangers will have that are in some way shape or form free agents next offseason:

Hayes, Kreider, Moore, Hagelin (if he signs a 1 year bridge deal), Stepan (if he signs a 1 year bridge deal), Yandle, Boyle, Talbot.

Boyle walks, Talbot is traded, Stepan resigns long term. That still leaves 5 key players that the Rangers will need to give significant raises to next year with 1 significant contract coming off the books: Dan Boyle.

We've already discussed that Boyle's contract is likely to go to Yandle. Which leaves Hagelin, Kreider, Hayes, and Moore. And let's say that Moore isn't kept. 3 promising young players that can all see very significant increases with really no space. If we are saying that Kreider commands 4-4.5, Hagelin 3.3-3.8, and Hayes 3.5-4.5 (Depending on how he does next year), that's about 5-6.5 million we'd need to account for.

The brutal reality of it, is that one of these 3 will have to go, at the very least, to keep the majority of guys in tact.

Girardi is probably not worth trading. There is so much polarity with how he is appraised, it would be tough to get back a fair value return for him.

Staal just signed long term here, and I can't imagine them flipping him 1 year into a 6 year extension, especially when he has about another 1.75 years left of a NMC.

Nash. When else will we get this much value for him? And he is paid the most of the bunch. All signs point to trading this guy first. Otherwise we'll be in the toughest cap situation we've been in for the past decade. And what is to say that he will have more value then than now? I'd argue he will have less value, actually.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I may be wrong but I think he has played out his ELC.

Same boat as Mcilrath? Don't quote me on this. Just what I rhink.

I don't remember exactly, but looking at his yearly stats, Grigorenko played 25 games in the NHL in 2012-2013 and also played in Juniors--which means Buffalo burned a year of his ELC that season before sending him back to Juniors. Three years of professional hockey, so needs to go through waivers--unless there is an exception in the CBA. Doubt it though, but don't quote me on this...:D

BarbaraAlphanse

Even removing Klein, Talbot, and Glass from next year's roster, and replacing with a hypothetically cheaper (Erhoff at 2 mill), Gustavvson at 800k, and Lindberg at 700k, makes it very difficult to fit under the cap, let alone add spares, let alone room to operate, let alone get better and back to the cup.

What if cap is 70.5 m?

The year to take the step back is next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad