2013 NHL Draft - Pick #80 - Anthony Duclair - Signs ELC with NYR - 1/2/14

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yikes top-10. Why did he slide so much? I know he had subpar season but was there more to it?

Some overblown locker room issues and an injury was my understanding. Seems to have taken very well to the diet and exercise regimen the organization gave him after being drafted. His dad is apparently an NYR fan as well.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Duclair is one of these kids that's gonna be an absolute bust or he's gonna tear it up. There's a chance he becomes Grachev or Corey Locke, but there's also a chance he becomes another Zuccarello or Parenteau. You gotta love the upside for a fairly low pick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's good news. He's a high upside guy having a very good season. Every report out of Quebec has been very positive regarding his development and maturation.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Gaborik and Kane are polar opposites and what I see if Duclair right now is more Gaborik than Kane. However, Duclair is getting bigger and more aggressive. I've seen him play with a chip on his shoulder a few times and in those instances he does look a bit like Kane. I honestly think that's a misguided comparison and one generally used because of skin color.

I know he compared himself to Kane but he's a kid and self assessment is tricky. He might try emulate Kane but he doesn't remind me of him much. His puck retrieval reminds me of Hagelin and his D zone pressuring of the points and take aways reminds me of Callahan on the PK at times.

The kid does a handful of things very well, and his skating is absolutely top notch. If he can take some of those things he does well and improve on them he'll be a very solid player. It's up to him, ideally he focuses on the offensive side of things and if so I see him having a chance to make it in a top six role. But if his offense doesn't translate and he focuses on retrieving pucks and his defensive game he'll be an above average third liner.

I didn't watch him last year, but the poster who said his D is a bit unorthodox is spot on with his assessment. If you watch the game as a normal fan you might not notice all the things he does right defensively. Yet if you focus on him you'll see how he uses his stick to create an above average number of turnovers.

The one thing I like most about him is off the ice. He trains with his uncle, a former CFL fullback. So he's learning from someone who knows what it takes to play a sport at a high level. He probably won't bulk up as much this off season and I hope he's cognizant of the fact that too much weight too quickly could affect his overall game and speed but he added roughly 15 lbs of muscle last off season if I remember correctly. As long as he doesn't overload his frame he'll be good to go.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Hopefully he gets more than just weight training from his uncle. Running backs and fullbacks have an understanding of balance and how to go through people that very few people do.

It's why guys like Oshie despite his size are extremely effective hitters

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Just my own take, but if there's a style that Duclair emulates, it's probably pretty close to Phil Kessel. While Kessel does it all at an elite level, the way the two can use their edges and create separation with their speed and agility is very much in the same vein. Duclair has a heavy shot, but Kessel's accuracy and release are obviously far better, while Duclair has some improvement to work on there.

Where they differ is Duclair's willingness to mix it up physically. In that regard, you can certainly tell he models his game after Evander Kane. However, he doesn't have the size and strength to out-muscle defenders like Kane does. Especially on the rush.

I'm hopeful that Duclair will continue to trend upwards. He has a lot of very good tools, and his willingness to take instruction and improve himself is perhaps the most valuable tool of them all.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Don't really know much about the kid. What is his upside and what is his realistic projection?

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Yikes top-10. Why did he slide so much? I know he had subpar season but was there more to it?

When your stats regress in your draft year, you're basically guaranteed to drop out of the 1st round. He also had serious attitude issues (he seemed to have cleaned them up, but they were definitely there last year), he's not the biggest guy, and his hockey sense is nothing to write home about. His final rank by CS was 57, so he should've gone in the 2nd round at least, but alas he didn't.

The real strike against him was the regression of his stats.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Don't really know much about the kid. What is his upside and what is his realistic projection?

As of right now, a fair projection would be a 20/20 guy as his upside if he were to make the NHL. Could be better, could be worse. If his scoring touch doesn't translate well to the NHL, he can still be a good third liner. This is because as mentioned already he has good defensive skills, an active stick, puck retrieval skills, and top notch speed. So if he makes the NHL, he can be effective in a few different roles.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

My feeling from the material we are reading is a better, taller, faster version of Christian Thomas.

Thomas principally not yet here 'cause he's a lightweight.
Not clear how much more Duc may add, but is already a bit taller, hopefully enough.

Extremely small, best case scenario.
Another Peter Forsberg, small, super elite speed, gifted scorer.

But odds he turns into Forsberg are less than Kreider to first match into Keon level of talent for speed, then --- as he is now doing --- try to morph in stage 2 into a Pavel Bure type.

Maybe a better scoring version of Hagelin?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Hopefully he gets more than just weight training from his uncle. Running backs and fullbacks have an understanding of balance and how to go through people that very few people do.

It's why guys like Oshie despite his size are extremely effective hitters

His uncle? Aren't you thinking of Darnell Nurse and his uncle Donovan McNabb?

Does Duclair also have an uncle who is or has been in the nfl?

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
My feeling from the material we are reading is a better, taller, faster version of Christian Thomas.

Not clear how much more Duc may add, but is already a bit taller, hopefully enough.

But odds he turns into Forsberg are less than Kreider to first match into Keon level of talent for speed, then --- as he is now doing --- try to morph in stage 2 into a Pavel Bure type.

He's not like Christian Thomas at all. Like, in any way. The only way they are similar is that they are under 6 feet tall and have a lot of points.

RangersHank*

Or maybe he is just Anthony Duclair?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
When your stats regress in your draft year, you're basically guaranteed to drop out of the 1st round. He also had serious attitude issues (he seemed to have cleaned them up, but they were definitely there last year), he's not the biggest guy, and his hockey sense is nothing to write home about. His final rank by CS was 57, so he should've gone in the 2nd round at least, but alas he didn't.

The real strike against him was the regression of his stats.

I knew he was a 1st rounder that slid but just didn't realise that some had him pegged as a top-10 pick. Was thinking more late 1st. Hopefully we luck out, we need it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I'd be over the moon if he's a more offensively gifted version of Hagelin. Hags is a 40-45 point player on a team that is inconsistent offensively. If Duclair can become a 50-60 point player that's fantastic value considering where he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad