2013 NHL Draft - Pick #80 - Anthony Duclair - Signs ELC with NYR - 1/2/14

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
You think he is physically capable of playing in the NHL right now? I don't. We can agree to disagree. I think it would be a disservice to be in the NHL.

Edit: What's so wrong about that. He has the skill but isn't ready for the physical demands. It's just an opinion.

No, I disagree with the notion that 185 pounds is "not NHL ready". Callahan is 185 pounds and has been in the league like 8 years.

He should hit the weight room cause he COULD get bigger. His frame allows for about 200 lbs while keeping his speed.

I actually just said he shouldn't be in the NHL, but not because he has an inadequate frame.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Clark and Gorton said in their interview that they don't believe he is physically ready. Being ready to play 5 games is one thing. 82 games + playoffs is totally different. I don't think he has a legit shot this year. Not with Lindberg, Fast, Miller, Bourque, Kristo + the undrafted kids like McCarthy who are all just older, more experienced and more physically developed.

I don't think he has a shot either.

I don't agree with the notion that 185 pounds is not NHL ready.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
No, I disagree with the notion that 185 pounds is "not NHL ready". Callahan is 185 pounds and has been in the league like 8 years.

He should hit the weight room cause he COULD get bigger. His frame allows for about 200 lbs while keeping his speed.

I actually just said he shouldn't be in the NHL, but not because he has an inadequate frame.

I didn't make a blanket statement about his weight. A 185 pound frame can be totally different depending on the player. For example (just to make it extreme) MSL at 185 is a totally different proposition then saying Chris Kreider is 185. I am saying that Duclair at present most likely won't make it because he isn't physically up to playing in the NHL. Now I can be totally wrong, and he makes it out of camp. I will gladly admit I was and be happy about it.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I didn't make a blanket statement about his weight. A 185 pound frame can be totally different depending on the player. For example (just to make it extreme) MSL at 185 is a totally different proposition then saying Chris Kreider is 185.

And watching Duclair a lot, I personally think he'd be fine at 185. Would I rather 200? Yeah of course. But I don't see, in this instance, the issue with Duclair being 185 lbs.

Whatever, agree to disagree here.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
No, until he plays top-6 and produces in the AHL he isn't better than Miller, McIlrath or Skjei. I have seen, too many times, a good player in juniors struggle in the pros.

Nigel Dawes. And he didn't even struggle in the pros, he was great in the AHL and is playing well in the KHL now. Just couldn't put it together in the NHL.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Nigel Dawes. And he didn't even struggle in the pros, he was great in the AHL and is playing well in the KHL now. Just couldn't put it together in the NHL.

Nigel Dawes, hell, every juniors great-turned bust in history have nothing to do with Duclair or his future.

BarbaraAlphanse

It seems like Gorton put the onus back on him.

Clarke discounted his chance. Said he'd be returning. Gorton comes in and says, well hey, we're not going to tell anyone that their future is set... we'd love for him to be able to prove us wrong.

Seems like a challenge to me. One guy fuels AD's motivation, the other guy offers the challenge.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Nigel Dawes, hell, every juniors great-turned bust in history have nothing to do with Duclair or his future.

Those stories have taught many of us to temper our expectations based on a player's success in Junior. It's not about impact on Duclair, it's about impact on perception. He's got a nice upside, but right now... that's literally all it is. I'm not overly impressed by scoring prowess in the Q.

SupersonicMonkey*

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/read-anthony-duclair-was-a-stealwhat-next-year-could-be-for-him/

Jeff Gorton:
We are always looking for a young guy to make the team, it’s good for everything, the room, the cap, there are a lot of reasons why we want young players to make our team. Will he do it, I don’t know but we are never in a situation where we will say that he is going back to junior no matter what, we would love for a guy to come in at 19 and make our team, a guy with speed like that, with the way we play, I think he would be a good fit for us.

Basically what I said.

The kid's wheels and ability to finish would be a fit. His acceleration isn't far off Hagelin and Kreider, if at all.

Use that speed to the outside, get behind defenders, make them adjust by backing off, create more space later in games and zone entries a little easier because defenders are backing up.

And i hope for more speed on the defense, as well. Speed kills. At the deadline we can address other needs (size, and so on).

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I get caught up watching his feet a lot, it's not the speed which is very good that impresses me the most it's the agility. Much more agile than Kreider IMO.

SupersonicMonkey*

I get caught up watching his feet a lot, it's not the speed which is very good that impresses me the most it's the agility. Much more agile than Kreider IMO.

Yeah, he is shifty.

Kreider is much larger and heavier than Duclair, though. Kreider's acceleration and speed are extremely impressive considering he does it with a 6-3, 230 lbs frame. Once he hits top speed he is like a freight train.

Duclair is about the same build as Hagelin.

Duclair said he wants to add more strength this summer. If he puts on enough muscle mass over the summer, kid could be a real contender for a spot.

Gorton himself said they aren't committed to any decision on him.

Let him hang out with Kreider and Hagelin. Two strength and conditioning nuts.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Yeah, he is shifty.

Kreider is much larger and heavier than Duclair, though. Kreider's acceleration and speed are extremely impressive considering he does it with a 6-3, 230 lbs frame. Once he hits top speed he is like a freight train.

Duclair is about the same build as Hagelin.

Duclair said he wants to add more strength this summer. If he puts on enough muscle mass over the summer, kid could be a real contender for a spot.

Gorton himself said they aren't committed to any decision on him.

Let him hang out with Kreider and Hagelin. Two strength and conditioning nuts.

He trains with his uncle who is a former CFL fullback they work on bulking up but staying quick. Kreider is an animal no doubt, but he is definitely just a straight line skater. Which is ok when you're also the size of a small car.

I can't remember all the details but I am pretty sure he spends his summers in Toronto to train I don't know if that is where his uncle lives and he just stays with him or if he trains with more people.

His attitude is that of someone who wants to make it. Think he was a definite steal and could be the exact type of pick we are usually envious of, granted we've had quite a few surprises ourselves but not really at forward.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
so, for the guys that watch Duclair regularly, how is his board play? The Rangers arent just a speed through the neutral zone team, we do get in on the forecheck, cycle, etc. our speed guys are all tremendous board players (MSL is probably the worst one)....how is Duclair?

SupersonicMonkey*

He trains with his uncle who is a former CFL fullback they work on bulking up but staying quick. Kreider is an animal no doubt, but he is definitely just a straight line skater. Which is ok when you're also the size of a small car.

I didn't know that, nice bit of info. Hopefully he gains that muscle this summer. I'll be pulling for him in camp.

Yeah, Kreider is a beast.

KreiMeARiver*

No, until he plays top-6 and produces in the AHL he isn't better than Miller, McIlrath or Skjei. I have seen, too many times, a good player in juniors struggle in the pros.

Sorry it's Monday and my brain wasn't on yet.

Obviously Miller is ahead of him. Honestly not sold on McIlrath or Skjei as higher than Duclair, at this point.

And I agree; I think we all should have learned our lesson after Grachev and Christian Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Sorry it's Monday and my brain wasn't on yet.

Obviously Miller is ahead of him.

And I agree; I think we all should have learned our lesson after Grachev and Christian Thomas.

Grachev was slow and Thomas' only real tool was his shot, that and he's like 4'8". Same with Dawes. Some of these guys had obvious holes and we hoped they made it purely on their offense, none of whom even put up Duclair numbers in Juniors.

Duclair 1.2 PPG in three season he's still 18.

Thomas 1.05 PPG in like 5 years and declined in his last year.

Dawes 1.1 PPG in 5 or so years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Grachev was slow and Thomas' only real tool was his shot, that and he's like 4'8". Same with Dawes. Some of these guys had obvious holes and we hoped they made it purely on their offense, none of whom even put up Duclair numbers in Juniors.

Duclair 1.2 PPG in three season he's still 18.

Thomas 1.05 PPG in like 5 years and declined in his last year.

Dawes 1.1 PPG in 5 or so years.

Grachev was slow?

Grachevs straight ahead speed and size were his 2 greatest assets...

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
so, for the guys that watch Duclair regularly, how is his board play? The Rangers arent just a speed through the neutral zone team, we do get in on the forecheck, cycle, etc. our speed guys are all tremendous board players (MSL is probably the worst one)....how is Duclair?

The effort is there. He's obviously no beast on the boards but he will battle for those pucks. Doesn't win a lot of them, but he can get stronger.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The effort is there. He's obviously no beast on the boards but he will battle for those pucks. Doesn't win a lot of them, but he can get stronger.

anyone on the rangers youd compare him to in terms of board play? to me our best board player is actually Hagelin, and our worst was Richards (BY FAR)....where would you slot him in that range?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
anyone on the rangers youd compare him to in terms of board play? to me our best board player is actually Hagelin, and our worst was Richards (BY FAR)....where would you slot him in that range?

Dominic Moore, I guess?

He'll battle and win some, but that's not his primary role.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Yes he was. Very much so. Problem was he simply didn't know where to go, so he wound up standing around and reacting (late) way too much. Speed is useless if you don't use it to go somewhere.

He still ranks as Gernander's number one failure, IMO.

He was kind of like a poor man's Kreider. He was huge, had a big shot, and had strong straight ahead speed. The problem is that he was a little bit worse in every category and didn't compensate with anything else. He also seemed to lack drive and forced his way to the AHL before he was ready.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He wasn't exceptionally fast.

I don't know where the myth comes from that Grachev isn't fast, but I've seen numerous people say it.

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2009/02/grachev-second-fastest-among-ohl-all-stars

Grachev silenced critics who’ve questioned his skating and speed by placing second in the fastest skater competition, completing the circuit in just 14.183 seconds. That was tops on the Eastern Conference team and ranked second overall only to potential 2010 first-overall NHL draft pick Taylor Hall’s 14.178.

The guy can skate. He has all of the physical tools. His problem lies between the ears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad