2013 NHL Draft - Pick #80 - Anthony Duclair - Signs ELC with NYR - 1/2/14

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SupersonicMonkey*

The kid's acceleration is what stands out. Slot him in behind Kreider and Hagelin on the LW. That depth of speed is going to keep opposing defenders on their heels. Line after line get the puck behind the defenders early in games, eventually they start backing off and you start creating space.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Three noticeable things for me in that video:

1.) His shot is fantastic
2.) Goalies lose their net a lot at that level (not a criticism on Duclair, just an observation)
3.) I will be very happy as this year goes on and people start to forget about that Avicii song

Panada Puc

Aug 14, 2013
The kid's acceleration is what stands out. Slot him in behind Kreider and Hagelin on the LW. That depth of speed is going to keep opposing defenders on their heels. Line after line get the puck behind the defenders early in games, eventually they start backing off and you start creating space.

So Duke - Brass - Zuc line?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Three noticeable things for me in that video:

1.) His shot is fantastic
2.) Goalies lose their net a lot at that level (not a criticism on Duclair, just an observation)
3.) I will be very happy as this year goes on and people start to forget about that Avicii song

Hahaha agreed with all your points. Also:

4.) His speed & acceleration are extremely good. Perhaps not Kreider good, but not far behind. WELL above average.

5.) He has very good dangle - what I like in particular is that he may not wow you with every move, but he always seems to maintain control and have that extra last touch to get it by the goalie at the very end.

6.) Unlike most of our players, he appears to have no problem lifting the puck, even in close.

7.) He brings a skill we desperately need - the ability to ice a game by actually hitting an empty net...

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Hahaha agreed with all your points. Also:

4.) His speed & acceleration are extremely good. Perhaps not Kreider good, but not far behind. WELL above average.

5.) He has very good dangle - what I like in particular is that he may not wow you with every move, but he always seems to maintain control and have that extra last touch to get it by the goalie at the very end.

6.) Unlike most of our players, he appears to have no problem lifting the puck, even in close.

7.) He brings a skill we desperately need - the ability to ice a game by actually hitting an empty net...

Part of what makes Duclair so effective is his puck control is ridiculously good. He's not only difficult to knock off the puck, but he controls it well in tight spaces, something this team really lacks. He brings a lot of offensive tools that just don't exist on this roster.

He actually hit the post on an empty net once, he would've had a hat trick if I remember correctly :laugh:.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Will he be back in the Q next season? What is his time table? Don't think he has much left in Juniors to prove..

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Sorry wrong thread.

He has great speed and a knack for scoring. I don't really like the highlight reels for the simple fact I like to see what players do without the puck and other attributes. That said, his skill level undeniable.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Will he be back in the Q next season? What is his time table? Don't think he has much left in Juniors to prove..

It's either the Rangers or back to the Q for him. He's really good with the puck, but how is he without it? That will determine where he plays next year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No AHL for Duke?

He was drafted out of the Q. The NHL's agreement with the CHL prohibits him from playing in the AHL until he has turned 20 or completed 4 years in the CHL. He turns 19 in August and he's played 3 years in the Q.

JT Miller was able to play in the AHL at 19 because he was drafted out of the USHL. He played in the OHL at 18 and the AHL at 19.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
We're Ranger fans, we gotta temper expectations lol

I see him as a Hagelin with finish...Hagelin without finish can hit 20. Hopefully Duclair can hit 30, but we also have to remember how many players hit 30 this season

Temper expectations? I am talking about his upside. His upside is not that of a 2nd/3rd liner.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He was drafted out of the Q. The NHL's agreement with the CHL prohibits him from playing in the AHL until he has turned 20 or completed 4 years in the CHL. He turns 19 in August and he's played 3 years in the Q.

JT Miller was able to play in the AHL at 19 because he was drafted out of the USHL. He played in the OHL at 18 and the AHL at 19.

Thanks. Was not aware of these rulings.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Would love to see this kid come in and win a spot (especially now, with so many spots up for grabs). He plays that speed game we need, and hopefully that scoring touch would follow him. Could also use him on the PP (love that video see him post-up on left-hand circle and just rip it.)

It all starts with an impressive development camp this week.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't think there's anyway he makes the Rangers this year. I don't say this to pan the kid, it's just that he isn't physically developed enough. He really needs to hit the weight room. A year or 2 and hitting the weights, adding 10-15 pounds with no plateau or decline in play, and I would say making the NHL is possible but not this coming season, hell no.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I don't think there's anyway he makes the Rangers this year. I don't say this to pan the kid, it's just that he isn't physically developed enough. He really needs to hit the weight room. A year or 2 and hitting the weights, adding 10-15 pounds with no plateau or decline in play, and I would say making the NHL is possible but not this coming season, hell no.

He's 185 pounds. What are you talking about?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

You think he is physically capable of playing in the NHL right now? I don't. We can agree to disagree. I think it would be a disservice to be in the NHL.

Edit: What's so wrong about that. He has the skill but isn't ready for the physical demands. It's just an opinion.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Clark and Gorton said in their interview that they don't believe he is physically ready. Being ready to play 5 games is one thing. 82 games + playoffs is totally different. I don't think he has a legit shot this year. Not with Lindberg, Fast, Miller, Bourque, Kristo + the undrafted kids like McCarthy who are all just older, more experienced and more physically developed.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Clark and Gorton said in their interview that they don't believe he is physically ready. Being ready to play 5 games is one thing. 82 games + playoffs is totally different. I don't think he has a legit shot this year. Not with Lindberg, Fast, Miller, Bourque, Kristo + the undrafted kids like McCarthy who are all just older, more experienced and more physically developed.

Yes, thank you playing 82 games + playoffs isn't easy. It really takes a special kid at 18-19-20 to excel against men for that tough a grind. I wasn't criticizing his skill level.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, thank you playing 82 games + playoffs isn't easy. It really takes a special kid at 18-19-20 to excel against men for that tough a grind. I wasn't criticizing his skill level.

Yeah I mean he may be able to come in and not look out of place. Maybe. But the main point is that this organization has no need to rush any of their prospects. Let him continue to dominate. Let him get stronger. They have a solid group of players pushing for spots this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad