Position: LW
Nationality: Canadian

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 180
Team: Quebec
League: QMJHL

Scouting report(s):

Future Considerations

Duclair possess one of the best skating strides in the entire 2013 draft class. The first thing that jumps out about him is the high speed he plays at. He consistently beats defensemen out wide. His acceleration is very impressive and he gets to his top speed very quickly. He’s incredibly agile and a very shifty skater. He has very impressive puck skills considering he’s constantly at high speeds. Duclair has the puck on a string at times, and can make defensemen and goalies alike look silly. He’s very creative with the puck on his stick and is incredibly dangerous 1-on-1 or on a breakaway. His shot is accurate and comes off with a good release. He has the ability to make crisp, accurate passes and find open teammates but is considered more of a finisher.

Pronman (Hockey Prospectus)

Duclair exploded onto the scene in the QMJHL in 2011-12, posting a little over a point per game as a 16-year-old. He followed it up with another quality campaign, despite a drop in his scoring rate. Duclair is a dynamic, exciting player, with high-end skating, if not better. He can be fun to observe because of his great speed, easily turning on the jets and putting defenders on their heels. Combining that skating ability with his great puck skills gives him the flair to create scoring chances and goals out of nothing. He shows the ability to make some quality passes, and although I wouldn't describe him as selfish, he can try to be too flashy in his rushes. In addition, he sometimes attempts to force passes that are too difficult. Although he shows some decent work ethic in physical battles, he could stand to bulk up a fair amount, and he needs to continue to work on his defensive game.

The Hockey Writers

Speed is Duclair’s forte. He’s beaten many defenders with his quick acceleration and consistent top speed. He isn’t a big player, so he’s figured out other ways to use his size effectively. His puck control is a key asset and slick stick work allows for him to find openings all over the ice and use his heavy wrister. The Quebec native’s accuracy behind the shot may need a touch of work, but he certainly packs a punch with the amount of power behind each shot.

The main issue that may need dedication is his play on both sides of the puck. Duclair is known for offensive instincts, but his defensive play could still use some brushing up. He’s shown flashes of great defensive play – for example, during the Top Prospects Game – and has worked on his two-way play, but he lacks the consistency game in and game out. He also needs to slow his game down a bit to be better equipped at the next level.

McKeens

Has speed and ability to create, however his lack of hockey sense plagued him all season .. additionally, he had to be disciplined for off-ice behaviour, which raises questions about his character.

Statistics:

Code:
 STATISTICS

SEASON	TEAM	LEAGUE	GP	G	A	P	PIM
2011-2012	QUEBEC	QMJHL	63	31	35	66	50
2012-2013	QUEBEC	QMJHL	55	20	30	50	22

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Meh on one pick, love one pick, hate this one. Not a fan of guys that regress stats wise in their draft year.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He's a 1995, August, so he's pretty young. He was seen as a potential 2nd round pick, so I'm pretty happy.

However, points didn't progress this year.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Again the Rangers pick another crappy pick. Still no goalie!!!!!!

Edit: this pick is still way better than Tambellini

SupersonicMonkey*

Really taking swings for the fences here.

Love the emphasis of skill and speed.

Hope the rest comes together.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
All three picks seems to be boom-bust selections, which is what thus organization needs. If just one of these three make it it would be huge.

All are very fast and can put the puck in the net.

Now just get Bell somehow and I'll be very happy.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
You wait all day and the Rangers don't disappoint and give you some more **** to smear on your face...3 more soft players...but wait...they can skate...all is well.

Colby

Mar 2, 2011
37. Anthony Duclair, Left Wing, Quebec (QMJHL)

Duclair exploded onto the scene in the QMJHL in 2011-12, posting a little over a point per game as a 16-year-old. He followed it up with another quality campaign, despite a drop in his scoring rate. Duclair is a dynamic, exciting player, with high-end skating, if not better. He can be fun to observe because of his great speed, easily turning on the jets and putting defenders on their heels. Combining that skating ability with his great puck skills gives him the flair to create scoring chances and goals out of nothing. He shows the ability to make some quality passes, and although I wouldn't describe him as selfish, he can try to be too flashy in his rushes. In addition, he sometimes attempts to force passes that are too difficult. Although he shows some decent work ethic in physical battles, he could stand to bulk up a fair amount, and he needs to continue to work on his defensive game.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1531

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wish the Rangers would have traded up into the 2nd and drafted Fucale. Would have been the smartest thing to do. He's at least 3-4 years away at which time Lundqvist will be 35.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't mind the pick. Kid is one of the fastest skaters in the entire draft (fastest?). If he comes in with his head on straight, he should be a good pick-up for us.

Vidic15*

I wish the Rangers would have traded up into the 2nd and drafted Fucale. Would have been the smartest thing to do. He's at least 3-4 years away at which time Lundqvist will be 35.

This. Seems like they wrote off this draft completely.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This is definitely the pick I like the least.

But all 3 of these kids could go either way so you gotta trust the scouts and hope for the best. Yes I know how hard that is as a Ranger fan...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad