2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboro24

Feb 20, 2013
Jersey Shore
Some people have suggested to do away with the automatic top 3 seeding. Like for example if the southeast winner has as many points as the 7th seed team then they get the 7th seed. They still get the division winning banner, but do not get 3rd place.

I don't like this rule. I know that lately there have been more instances of it being because every team in the division is bad, but what if it was the other way around? What if it happens that two great teams in a division with three blue jackets get ahead of the devils even if we win the division because our division is five deep and we are all beating up on each other. I think that they should do it like the NBA where a division winner is guaranteed a top four spot and home-ice advantage

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I don't like this rule. I know that lately there have been more instances of it being because every team in the division is bad, but what if it was the other way around? What if it happens that two great teams in a division with three blue jackets get ahead of the devils even if we win the division because our division is five deep and we are all beating up on each other. I think that they should do it like the NBA where a division winner is guaranteed a top four spot and home-ice advantage

hey hey not so fast. Rookie post buys the round of drinks.

Gimme a small batch bourbon and welcome aboard.

DevilChuk*

damn you guys are quick to notice so what are the hazing rituals around here?

You have to go streaking on the Rangers forum.

just kidding.. seriously don't go there

(unless its after a game they lose and they are all freaking out, then its hilarious)

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Haha - no hazing required, just look around and be sure to join in on the Game Day Threads (GDTs) during the game if you're not attending in person.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask or Private Message (PM) us.

You been lurking quietly a while or just find us?

apice3*

I thought the NHL was considering adopting the NBA's seeding process. The 3 division winners get top 4 seeding, but not necessarily 1-2-3.

DevilChuk*

Haha - no hazing required, just look around and be sure to join in on the Game Day Threads (GDTs) during the game if you're not attending in person.

Obviously lurking for years and he was so absolutely enraged by the idea that a division winner would get 7th seed that he felt he just had to immediately sign up to voice his displeasure!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This whole division winner debate's going to be moot soon enough when they agree on realignment finally (the NHL and NHLPA have been discussing it for the last couple weeks).

DevilChuk*

This whole division winner debate's going to be moot soon enough when they agree on realignment finally (the NHL and NHLPA have been discussing it for the last couple weeks).

I really hope they nix the divisional playoffs idea.

You'd take something that's pretty special (i.e. last year's ECF) and turn it into routine. It'll be fun for 2 or 3 years but get boring and annoying quick. How many times in a row can we play the Rangers or Penguins?

Change divisions however but don't mess with the playoffs. Don't fix what ain't broken.

foxboro24

Feb 20, 2013
Jersey Shore

I just found you I have been on reddit.com/r/devils for a while but the amount of people is extremely minimal I just googled devils message board and boom here I am

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You probably shouldn't quit your day job and get into analyzing statistics.. not what that data says at all besides how foolish that sounds.

Hey, screw home ice, let's intentionally lose games so we can get 8 seed because last year, a 8 seed won the Cup!!! Master plan.

I like the way the NBA does it. Guaranteed a top 4 seed but not top 3. I like giving division winner home ice but I think it's unfair that the team who finishes 6th usually have an easier first round opponent. With their system, the only really unfair thing is a better 5th seed having to play a division winner on their home ice but that's not as huge of a deal.

Chill out, not need to throw a passive aggressive comment at a damn joke about the ineptitude of top seeds not named Detroit over the years. Reason why fans jokingly don't want to win the President's Trophy. (see laughy face, means it was a joke)

Yes I think the NBA system of seeding would be a better way to go about it

apice3*

I think two divisons is stupid.

If they force division representatives to play each other in the first two rounds like proposed, it will be an absolute travesty to the sport.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I really hope they nix the divisional playoffs idea.

You'd take something that's pretty special (i.e. last year's ECF) and turn it into routine. It'll be fun for 2 or 3 years but get boring and annoying quick. How many times in a row can we play the Rangers or Penguins?

Change divisions however but don't mess with the playoffs. Don't fix what ain't broken.

If they want to change it like that at least wait until (if) you get thirty-two teams, so all the 'conferences' are balanced. I do agree that having four teams out of seven make the playoffs as opposed to eight is a huge difference, and advantage for the teams in seven-team divisions.

For now it should just be one eight-team division and one-seven team division in each conference, two division winners and the other top six get in.

apice3*

It should be six 5-team divisions across 2 conferences like it is now. Best 8 teams get in from each conference.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It should be six 5-team divisions across 2 conferences like it is now. Best 8 teams get in from each conference.

Problem is they either screw over Columbus or Detroit, or both if they move Nashville.

I personally am fine with a Nashville to the SE, Minnesota to the Central and Winnipeg to the NW, or Nashville to the SE, Dallas to the Central, and Colorado to the Pacific, and Winnipeg to the NW.

The only problem is you run into conflicts with time zones, etc. No team is going to want to play Western teams while they reside in a central time zone. The problem is, there is really no way in fixing that dilemma.

Dallas and Minnesota are continually forced to play divisional games against opponents who are 1 or 2 time zones away. Quite honestly, there is no right solution to this problem.

apice3*

if dallas or whoever doesnt like playing teams out of their timezones, they can move. Deal with it.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Detroit, and Columbus are forced to play some teams 3 hours behind. So to me those would be the most logical. But you can't move either of them straight into the southeast.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I like the divisional playoffs, but maybe not for 2 full rounds considering we will be playing in division 6 times already.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Detroit, and Columbus are forced to play some teams 3 hours behind. So to me those would be the most logical. But you can't move either of them straight into the southeast.

If you move one, then the other one loses their other EST companion.

To me, the best way to fix it without screwing everyone over is moving the Predators to the SE. Geographically it works well, and I'm sure the Eastern teams can get over playing 3 or 2 games extra games one hour later. I don't think Predators having 6 or 6:30 games will affect viewership either. Minnesota gets their desired rivalry with Detroit/Chicago. If you want to keep geographical (due to proximity) rivals together in Minnesota/Winnipeg, then move Colorado to the Pacific, move Winnipeg to the NW, and make Dallas join the Central, this seems the most logical though:

NW-> Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Winnipeg
Central-> Minnesota, Detroit, Columbus, Chicago, St. Louis
Pacific->Same
Atlantic->Same
Northeast->Same
Southeast-> Nashville, Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, Carolina

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For hypothetical fun, if the Devils somehow miraculously made it into a Winter Classic and had to compile an alumni roster, what do you think it would look like?

For the sake of the hypothetical situation, we can only used players that are currently retired. You can include guys like Rolston/Madden/Arnott, because they are essentially retired.

apice3*

terreri, albelin, brylin, dowd, daneyko and holik would all play im sure. Maybe rafalski too. Not sure who else. Hard to know who still skates and what not.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not sure about Rolston or Arnott. Madden I could see doing it. All the guys Apice mentioned too. I'm not sure about Holik, but he might. Grant Marshall, and Bruce Driver would probably do it too. Stevens may or may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad