2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilChuk*

We agree and disagree at the same time.

The team can definitely do a whole lot better by its own standards, but (and not you specifically) there has been a lot of sky high expectations around here that aren't being met.
Expectations of a solid on ice product right now are just, unrealistic.
The product around the league is pretty subpar.

As a team, the Devils are making the most out of very little, though.
By nearly every measurable statistic, the Devils are holding their collective **** together better than most other teams playing in the league right now.

It bodes well for the future.

This, I agree with. And the expectations I have aren't that crazy, I want consistency. I understand that may not be attainable right now but that doesn't mean I cannot want to get to that point in the near future.

Product on the league may be subpar but that doesn't mean it'll stay that way. When some teams start getting better, as they undoubtedly will, we all want the Devils to be among those teams. Means they need to make some improvements and adjustments because complacency with their start isn't going to get them to that next level.

DevilChuk*

Except it wasn't a bad game, it was a bad period. Overall they played a pretty good game. We out played them in the 2nd and 3rd...it is why we won in regulation.

Whoa whoa, where was it said Carter is out for the whole weekend? I thought he just wasn't practicing today. Also he isn't on a two way right? So unless they put him on IR no one is getting bused in.

aka the team is pretty inconsistent right now. Good periods don't wipe away bad ones either. Playing 2 good periods in the last 15 qualifies for terrible play IMO. Not sure why you are even bothering arguing about this unless you think our play in the last four games is okay..

And yea, that means Josefson can't come up unless someone goes down.. since I don't think anyone will go down, Matteau's spot. 2 way or 1 way contract has absolutely nothing to do with that though.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I'm not too worried about the state of things. Last short season, in '95, NJ was 6-7-3 after 16 games. Didn't crack the .500 mark til game 33. And finished the season with a 2-4-1 run.

Scrape your way, some how some way, into the playoffs, then see what happens.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Won 3.
Lost 4.
Won 5.
Lost 3 of 4.

And most of the league isn't this 'inconsistent'? You guys can't have it both ways, last year early we were only winning because of OT/SO wins, now we only have a high point total because we're losing OT/SO games. Either they're real wins or they're not. It's not a real loss when it isn't, then a fake win when we do get it.

DevilChuk*

And most of the league isn't this 'inconsistent'? You guys can't have it both ways, last year early we were only winning because of OT/SO wins, now we only have a high point total because we're losing OT/SO games. Either they're real wins or they're not. It's not a real loss when it isn't, then a fake win when we do get it.

Who the **** is you guys?

Am I no longer allowed to have an opinion because other posters in the past said something you disagreed with?

Maybe there is no conspiracy and I was never one of those who said such things last year.

Stop exaggerating what I'm saying also. Never did I say that we ONLY have a high point total because we are losing in OT/SO.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And I strongly disagree. You want the team playing well, not slipping into the playoffs because "Hey, this is how it happened last year and the same for the Ravens, Giants, Packers, etc."

People are going overboard these last few years with the runs that we've seen in the NFL and the run by both teams last year in the NHL. None of those teams got to the finals by just 'making the playoffs.'

And the Cardinals twice in baseball, nearly a third time. And the Flyers/Oilers going into June as low seeds since the lockout (Anaheim and Calgary just before that).

There's a reason you see more of these runs by lower seeds in every sport (sans the NBA) year after year...it's called parity. Parity and more rounds of the playoffs mean the difference between the 'better' teams and lesser seeds is miniscule, and there are more chances to get tripped up with multiple rounds. This isn't the 1980's when the Islanders and Oilers were on a different planet than the rest of the league.

DevilChuk*

And the Cardinals twice in baseball, nearly a third time.

There's a reason you see more of these runs by lower seeds in every sport (sans the NBA) year after year...it's called parity. Parity and more rounds of the playoffs mean the difference between the 'better' teams and lesser seeds is miniscule, and there are more chances to get tripped up with multiple rounds. This isn't the 1980's when the Islanders and Oilers were on a different planet than the rest of the league.

Also rarely happens in hockey outside of last year.

Coincidentally, hockey and basketball are the most similar schedule-wise. Or maybe that's not a coincidence..

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'd rather the Fayne-Harrold pairing be in there over Sal-Volch or Tallinder-Zids. No question. But all I really want is Fayne in. He's clearly one of our 3 best desfensemen, cmon Pete...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Also rarely happens in hockey outside of last year.

Coincidentally, hockey and basketball are the most similar schedule-wise. Or maybe that's not a coincidence..

How many #1 seeds have gotten to the Finals in the NBA and how many get there in the NHL? It's dramatically different, mainly because you can out talent someone in the NBA with 1-3 elite players without too much strategy. It's different in the NHL, only the goalie 'can' have that kind of effect, but it's somewhat random as to which goalie that winds up being.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd rather the Fayne-Harrold pairing be in there over Sal-Volch or Tallinder-Zids. No question. But all I really want is Fayne in. He's clearly one of our 3 best desfensemen, cmon Pete...

Let's just hope we don't have to ''Lose how many games in a row'' before Fayne (Who we haven't won without yet) gets back into the lineup.

I hate Conerik. I also hate that Lou thought it was a good idea to have 8 defensemen on the roster at a time. The 8th has played in one frickin game all year, and now we're scratching better guys for traffic cones.

DevilChuk*

How many #1 seeds have gotten to the Finals in the NBA and how many get there in the NHL? It's dramatically different, mainly because you can out talent someone in the NBA with 1-3 elite players without too much strategy. It's different in the NHL, only the goalie 'can' have that kind of effect, but it's somewhat random as to which goalie that winds up being.

There's a reason that until last year, no team seeded lower than 5 won the Cup.

There's also a reason why, until last year, only one team seeded lower than 4 won the Cup.

NHL has parity but the best teams are still far and away the best teams and make it deep in the playoffs more often than you see in the NFL or MLB.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
For tomorrow's game, Stefan, Stephen, and Steve will be playing on a line while Chico broadcasts with alongside a Steve......this could be interesting...

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fayne has to have something tweaked or a lingering injury, only thing that makes sense to me.

He played bad the last two games, but not this bad. If we didn't have this BS surplus of defensemen it would have been forgotten about. I do not feel confident with Tallinder at all. Especially not on the PK either. He constantly loses his man, and gets coned. He's big, dumb and slow.

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
@TGfireandice DeBoer said he hasn't decided yet if he'll make any lineup changes on defense.

sounds like there's still a chance Fayne gets back in the lineup

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
He played bad the last two games, but not this bad. If we didn't have this BS surplus of defensemen it would have been forgotten about. I do not feel confident with Tallinder at all. Especially not on the PK either. He constantly loses his man, and gets coned. He's big, dumb and slow.

I'm not a big fan but Tallinder wasn't that bad last game, he was fine. He's not slow, he looks slow cause of his height and stride just like Larsson. Volch and especially Sal are slow. I'm just tired of the D chasing guys behind the goal line and leaving guys open in front. It's part of the swarm mentality but it's not working now on the PK.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not a big fan but Tallinder wasn't that bad last game, he was fine. He's not slow, he looks slow cause of his height and stride just like Larsson. Volch and especially Sal are slow. I'm just tired of the D chasing guys behind the goal line and leaving guys open in front. It's part of the swarm mentality but it's not working now on the PK.

I've seen him get coned time, and time again because he just stands there. Even when he wasn't rusty, and sitting out 10 games. He should never be on the PK either. Unfortunately when he's in the lineup over a guy who plays PK like Fayne, he is inserted in that spot on the PK.

I trust all of our defensemen except for maybe Zidlicky over Tallinder on the PK.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fayne has to have something tweaked or a lingering injury, only thing that makes sense to me.

I would love a reason why. At least I get if he is hurt. What other good reason is there? Any our record is pretty good, and OVERALL over 15 games we have played good hockey, especially in context with the rest of the east. The End for me on that topic.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I've seen every single defenseman on this team get coned numerous times except for Green maybe. It's not about speed, it's about getting caught flat footed or out of position. Larsson has gotten much better this year regarding that. I would think Stevens and the staff see and know things that us fans don't even think of, I trust them to make the right decisions.

I like your posts Bleed, seems everyone has it out for one player or another here. Sal has been brutal many times as well as Volch too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't care what we do in the regular season, all I want is this team to make the playoffs.

When the playoffs start, there is so much parity in this league that there really is no "best spot."

Being number one can very well mean you verse a team coming into the playoffs playing very hot (ala Kings). It's whoever is playing well when the playoffs come around that goes far, come the end of April, these four/five game slides won't matter as long as we are in the playoffs.

That's why during that 5 game winning streak, I was most excited that it gave us a cushion in terms of playoff positioning. We really had to start losing game after game in regulation to fall out of the playoffs, especially in such a short season. Believe it or not, we are one third of the way through the season already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad