2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

in the regular season, 9-3-4 is not the same as 9 wins and 7 losses. Havent three of our losses come in the shootout? If this were the postseason with continuous OT, we could be 12-4 just as easily as 9-7.

I dont think some of you realize that we're tied for 2nd in the east despite not playing entirely great. If we find the missing piece and turn it up, we can be an elite team.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't agree with that. That works for football, but you're playing four games. Doesn't work in hockey. The better team wins a 7 game series significantly more often than not.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the word "significant" only because teams are so close together talent and play wise that there isn't a significant difference on who can win on any individual night, when we get to playoff teams. Stretching those individual games out to a best of 7 helps, but I still think it happens more than infrequently that the worse team wins a series, for any number of reasons.

DevilChuk*

This is just untrue.
The Penguins still look like a porous team to me that isn't intimidating when one of Crosby or Malkin doesn't have the puck.

They're easy to frustrate and have a lack of maturity, assertive coaching to battle through adversity.

They also had a streak where they lost to Toronto, Winnipeg, forced into a SO by Ottawa and then lost to the Isles.

So no, they don't look like world beaters either.

And since that point, they're something like 9-2?

Don't think they are world beaters but they are the best in the East at the moment. We matchup well against them but that doesn't mean we are the better team overall.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Won 3.
Lost 4.
Won 5.
Lost 3 of 4.

One more time: The Devils have won 9 regulation games. Forget about the losses.

They have won 9 times. That is more wins than 25 other teams in the league.

How is that not good enough?

Edit - sorry it's 8 regulation + 1 OT win. Still, whatever.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I had Boston at 1 and Pittsburgh at 2 before the season started. Also be very glad to be 7 and play them. Faith+1

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
in the regular season, 9-3-4 is not the same as 9 wins and 7 losses. Havent three of our losses come in the shootout? If this were the postseason with continuous OT, we could be 12-4 just as easily as 9-7.

I dont think some of you realize that we're tied for 2nd in the east despite not playing entirely great. If we find the missing piece and turn it up, we can be an elite team.

Nah come on we are 9-7 only 2 games above .500 we are no good!

More lucky then anything

:sarcasm:

DevilChuk*

What I've been saying this entire time.

9-3-4 isn't something to be content with and the play on the ice suggests we can get better. So I don't think any criticism of the team at the moment can be dismissed because we're 2nd in the East.

also, 2 SO losses IIRC.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Not that I disagree but I dunno if you can just count ROW as your stat to look at. Games aren't going into ROW and a team can have more ROW and be doubled up on points if someone forces extra time a lot. It's too early in the year to just point at ROW and determine teams' ability off of it.

Honestly, just make the playoffs and get a top 6 forward at the deadline and I won't give a damn.

apice3*

right, 2. The other 2 OT losses came 3v4. Playoffs shorthanded is 4v5. Totally different ballgame. OT losses arent ideal but they carry more weight than reg loses in the reg season

DevilChuk*

One more time: The Devils have won 9 regulation games. Forget about the losses.

They have won 9 times. That is more wins than 25 other teams in the league.

How is that not good enough?

Edit - sorry it's 8 regulation + 1 OT win. Still, whatever.

Because hockey isn't played in the box score.

Why bother watching the games if all that matters is a W or a L?

The product on the ice isn't there yet and you can tell by watching this team whether they are winning or losing.

There's another level to get to and I'm not going to sit here and say "who cares, we are winning" when we aren't playing as well as we can. Points are great but they don't mean **** in the playoffs.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It's not about being free from criticism. It's about being able to rationally discuss concerns and areas of improvement.

Bemoaning our OT loss record is far from a worry right now. The team is still putting all the pieces together... being able to come out with a win despite having to play on their heels for a period or two, isn't such a bad thing.

If this was the last month of the season, I'd see your concern.
As we are just exiting the beginning of the season, I still find a lot of reasons to be, dare I say it, excited about this team.

Not that I disagree but I dunno if you can just count ROW as your stat to look at. Games aren't going into ROW and a team can have more ROW and be doubled up on points if someone forces extra time a lot. It's too early in the year to just point at ROW and determine teams' ability off of it.

Honestly, just make the playoffs and get a top 6 forward at the deadline and I won't give a damn.

My only point with that is.. despite the OT losses, the team is still winning a whole lot of its games, as well.
It's still doing enough to win games more than most other teams in the league. That's all.

DevilChuk*

I'm not one pointing to any statistic to support how well this team is playing ;)

Product on the ice isn't ready. Would've said the same thing had we pulled out a win on Monday and been 10-3-3.

DevilChuk*

It's not about being free from criticism. It's about being able to rationally discuss concerns and areas of improvement.

Bemoaning our OT loss record is far from a worry right now. The team is still putting all the pieces together... being able to come out with a win despite having to play on their heels for a period or two, isn't such a bad thing.

If this was the last month of the season, I'd see your concern.
As we are just exiting the beginning of the season, I still find a lot of reasons to be, dare I say it, excited about this team.

Who's bemoaning our OT loss record?

I could care less about how many times we lose in OT. I'm looking for a great product on the ice and we aren't there yet.

I'm excited as **** about this team. We're doing pretty good right now and I don't think we are near our potential. But yea, I'm going to post about what I think this team can do better to reach that potential and a 9-3-4 record isn't going to hold me back.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Won 3.
Lost 4.
Won 5.
Lost 3 of 4.

3 of 4 isn't a losing streak because you decided to omit a win. Come on. We had 1 "major" losing streak. Come on, and Pitt as number 1 in the East? Not buying that for a second, Manilla again said it, they are pourous. They look like the same first round bounce as last years team.

We are playing a rough patch right now, but when this team was rolling a week ago they looked like one of the best in the east for good reason. Ya we need to most likely add something for the playoffs, but this is still a very good team, especially when you put them in context with the rest then the East.

Ugh that is awful news. Carter not practicing AND Fayne still being the extra D man? :help: What the hell did he do to get benched? Or did Tallinder's *****ing really accomplish that much for him.

DevilChuk*

3 of 4 isn't a losing streak because you decided to omit a win. Come on. We had 1 "major" losing streak. Come on, and Pitt as number 1 in the East? Not buying that for a second, Manilla again said it, they are pourous. They look like the same first round bounce as last years team.

We are playing a rough patch right now, but when this team was rolling a week ago they looked like one of the best in the east for good reason. Ya we need to most likely add something for the playoffs, but this is still a very good team, especially when you put them in context with the rest then the East.

Ugh that is awful news. Carter not practicing AND Fayne still being the extra D man? :help: What the hell did he do to get benched? Or did Tallinder's *****ing really accomplish that much for him.

Not a losing streak but right now the season has broken down to: Great playing, terrible playing, great playing, terrible playing.

Just because we came back from 3-1 to win, doesn't get us off the hook for playing a bad game...

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Who's bemoaning our OT loss record?

I could care less about how many times we lose in OT. I'm looking for a great product on the ice and we aren't there yet.

I'm excited as **** about this team. We're doing pretty good right now and I don't think we are near our potential. But yea, I'm going to post about what I think this team can do better to reach that potential and a 9-3-4 record isn't going to hold me back.

We agree and disagree at the same time.

The team can definitely do a whole lot better by its own standards, but (and not you specifically) there has been a lot of sky high expectations around here that aren't being met.
Expectations of a solid on ice product right now are just, unrealistic.
The product around the league is pretty subpar.

As a team, the Devils are making the most out of very little, though.
By nearly every measurable statistic, the Devils are holding their collective **** together better than most other teams playing in the league right now.

It bodes well for the future.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I don't know if I like Matteau on that line although it has potential to be ok. Josefson wants to know if he scores again in the next Albany game if he can come back.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not a losing streak but right now the season has broken down to: Great playing, terrible playing, great playing, terrible playing.

Just because we came back from 3-1 to win, doesn't get us off the hook for playing a bad game...

Except it wasn't a bad game, it was a bad period. Overall they played a pretty good game. We out played them in the 2nd and 3rd...it is why we won in regulation.

Whoa whoa, where was it said Carter is out for the whole weekend? I thought he just wasn't practicing today. Also he isn't on a two way right? So unless they put him on IR no one is getting bused in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad