2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

I'm pretty sure Briere is signed at over 6 mil for 3 more years.

Pronger is being paid 5 mil for 5 more years and can't even be bought out because A. he won't pass a physical and B. his 35+ stays regardless.

Richards is getting paid nearly 7 mil for 8 more years, and he has regressed for two years straight on both ends of the ice.

If you think Rick Nash is worth 8 million dollars for 6 more years for his one way game where he only racks up 60 points a year, then we clearly disagree on what a good and bad contract is.

And that was only in the Atlantic, and I didn't even name Thomas, Tallinder, Coburn, or a few others. If you take it league-wide and really nitpick, there are probably over 50 contracts worse than a underperforming Zajac. Besides, right now his cap hit is less than 4 (extension kicks in next year) and there is plenty of time for Zajac's offense to come around. We're only 16 games into this season.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm pretty sure Briere is signed at over 6 mil for 3 more years.

Pronger is being paid 5 mil for 5 more years and can't even be bought out because A. he won't pass a physical and B. his 35+ stays regardless.

Richards is getting paid nearly 7 mil for 8 more years, and he has regressed for two years straight on both ends of the ice.

If you think Rick Nash is worth 8 million dollars for 6 more years for his one way game where he only racks up 60 points a year, then we clearly disagree on what a good and bad contract is.

And that was only in the Atlantic, and I didn't even name Thomas, Tallinder, Coburn, or a few others. If you take it league-wide and really nitpick, there are probably over 50 contracts worse than a underperforming Zajac. Besides, right now his cap hit is less than 4 (extension kicks in next year) and there is plenty of time for Zajac's offense to come around. We're only 16 games into this season.
I didn't say his contract IS bad, I said it WOULD BE bad if he couldn't put up 60 a year. Don't even really care about the comparison to other players actually, it would be terrible regardless.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
kovy wont be good with trav on a consistent basis until hes back to lw. and i dont mean just roving around. permanent lw, with player X as right. trav passes, kovy is the sniper. let the guy do what hes being paid an exorbitant amount of money for.

apice3*

I don't think shothandedness or position is the reason more than playstyle. Kovy is a quick strike sniper. Zajac benefits from the cycle. That's what made him and Parise so good together.

Eventually Kovy and Henrique will be together, IMO. All of our centers are in a bit of an offensive funk the last week or so.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So not much news on Carter today. Said he had a head ache last night, but he still "feels fine" should know more tomorrow. Clarkie's back is roughed up, but he thinks he is fine too.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm trying to ask this as nicely as possible, but does the relentless whining about our own players ever stop? Even slow down a little bit? This is near unbearable.

For all our garbage players and their horrendous contracts - this is still one of the best teams in the league right now.

Top 10 in nearly every basic defensive category there is to measure.
Sure the PK has slipped, but it's hard to maintain decent numbers when you're the 2nd most penalized team in the league.
But to balance it all - we finally have a top 10 power play. Something we've been pulling our hair out for for a while.

It seems like the goals have dried up, but we're at pretty much the exact same Goals/game average that we were at last year -- and that's with Zajac, Kovy, Henrique under performing, Zubrus out and a bunch of young guys/AHL tweeners trying to reacquaint themselves with the NHL again.

And on top of that, just like last year, this team still has 3 players in the top 25 in points league wide.

There is not a whole lot to complain about right now. Hot streaks and dull slumps happen throughout the season, no matter how many games there are.

Look at San Jose. And they're still in a playoff position.
Hell, look at Chicago. Unarguably the best team in the league at the moment - and even they can barely hold their **** together for 60 minutes to maintain a lead.

Right now, the NHL is still in pretty bad form. It's still sloppy out there.
Teams are still tripping and stumbling over themselves from short training camps.
Even those with low turnovers on their rosters and came flying out the gate are starting to slow down and beat themselves.

"Finding ways to way despite it all" is a given motto across the league right now.
Nobody is playing anywhere close to a perfect 60 right now. And that won't happen for a while.

The Devils are still one of the best at doing that. And if the record isn't convincing enough... look at it by points percentage or even just break it down to ROW. There aren't many more teams getting the most out of their opportunities to pick up points than the Devils right now.

This is a good team that isn't even playing it's best yet.
I do not understand what is going on around here.

Edit -
There is such a thing as constructive criticism, and that's fine. There are ways to talk about making the team better without harping on about what garbage half the team is in the process. I just don't understand this.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Good post Manila, I totally agree it's just getting out of hand. I've never ignored posters on here until this year, there has just been some real stupid **** posted on here lately.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm trying to ask this as nicely as possible, but does the relentless whining about our own players ever stop? Even slow down a little bit? This is near unbearable.

For all our garbage players and their horrendous contracts - this is still one of the best teams in the league right now.

Sure the PK has slipped, but it's hard to maintain decent numbers when you're the 2nd most penalized team in the league.
But to balance it all - we finally have a top 10 power play. Something we've been pulling our hair out for for a while.

It seems like the goals have dried up, but we're at pretty much the exact same Goals/game average that we were at last year -- and that's with Zajac, Kovy, Henrique under performing, Zubrus out and a bunch of young guys/AHL tweeners trying to reacquaint themselves with the NHL again.

And on top of that, just like last year, this team still has 3 players in the top 25 in points league wide.

There is not a whole lot to complain about right now. Hot streaks and dull slumps happen throughout the season, no matter how many games there are.

Hell, look at Chicago. Unarguably the best team in the league at the moment - and even they can barely hold their **** together for 60 minutes to maintain a lead.

Teams are still tripping and stumbling over themselves from short training camps.
Even those with low turnovers on their rosters and came flying out the gate are starting to slow down and beat themselves.

"Finding ways to way despite it all" is a given motto across the league right now.
Nobody is playing anywhere close to a perfect 60 right now. And that won't happen for a while.

The Devils are still one of the best at doing that. And if the record isn't convincing enough... look at it by points percentage or even just break it down to ROW. There aren't many more teams getting the most out of their opportunities to pick up points than the Devils right now.

Edit -
There is such a thing as constructive criticism, and that's fine. There are ways to talk about making the team better without harping on about what garbage half the team is in the process. I just don't understand this.

I feel like you have been holding this in all weekend :laugh::handclap::nod::yo: Bravo, very well said and all facts that chill pills need to be taken. Some guys are slumping, others are not. Everyone has talent and everyone has roles to play and bring something to the table. Some (not ALL) talk like we are a lottery team right now. Yes CBGB should be our 4th line, but right now they are doing a pretty good job holding down third line mins. Has our D done some bone-headed stuff, yes, but then there are plenty of games where they shut the opposition down (Pitt...twice).

One thing I'll add is the whole "deserving/not deserving a point" stuff that gets tossed around a lot. Never bought that, and always felt like it was an easy way to swallow a lose, or an excuse to complain for complaingings sake during a win. I REALLY don't care if the other team outshot us 40-15 or something stupid. If we actually scored with few chances...we deserved to win, the end. Just my pet peeve.

Still this is HF, Marty is old and fat, Kovy is lazy, trade JJ, Tally, Urbom, bring Sal out back and shoot him, fire Lou, and yell at Pete for not wearing more stylish ties!!!

Edit: They really have to win Thursday because it is getting a bit hot under the collar here. Damn fan appreciation thread has gone bonkers. Need to get back to the simpler days of laughing at Hucksters, Louisms, Chicoisms, and potatoes...WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POTATOES!!!

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've been saying it all weekend.

The Isles game was such a blowout because we couldn't kill penalties. If we killed just one of those 5 on 4 penalties we didn't kill then we would have lost 3-1. That's also assuming that stupid cluster**** in the last minute doesn't happen either. Nabby played a good game, Moose gave us a chance to win early, our PK was not good whatever. One of the goals was basically a 5 on 3 too, but whoever it was had just skated out of the box as the puck was going in the back of the net.

The Sens game well this is a problem we've been faced with for at least a year. Something is wrong with this team when a big goalie is in net. Our team struggles mightily against those huge goalies. Maybe they are in our guys heads, maybe it's cause all they have to shoot at are little Marty, Moose, and coach Terreri in practice. I don't know. I firmly believe this team struggles against big goalies with big equipment, and the Sens game proves that theory even further to me. It's also not the first time we've struggled against Bishop. We needed Moose to shut them out last year in March in Ottawa after only getting one goal past him.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
I feel like you have been holding this in all weekend :laugh::handclap::nod::yo: Bravo, very well said and all facts that chill pills need to be taken. Some guys are slumping, others are not. Everyone has talent and everyone has roles to play and bring something to the table. Some (not ALL) talk like we are a lottery team right now. Yes CBGB should be our 4th line, but right now they are doing a pretty good job holding down third line mins. Has our D done some bone-headed stuff, yes, but then there are plenty of games where they shut the opposition down (Pitt...twice).

One thing I'll add is the whole "deserving/not deserving a point" stuff that gets tossed around a lot. Never bought that, and always felt like it was an easy way to swallow a lose, or an excuse to complain for complaingings sake during a win. I REALLY don't care if the other team outshot us 40-15 or something stupid. If we actually scored with few chances...we deserved to win, the end. Just my pet peeve.

Still this is HF, Marty is old and fat, Kovy is lazy, trade JJ, Tally, Urbom, bring Sal out back and shoot him, fire Lou, and yell at Pete for not wearing more stylish ties!!!

Edit: They really have to win Thursday because it is getting a bit hot under the collar here. Damn fan appreciation thread has gone bonkers. Need to get back to the simpler days of laughing at Hucksters, Louisms, Chicoisms, and potatoes...WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POTATOES!!!

I would but I made them into vodka...figured by the time they fermented Henrique would actually have a shot on goal....

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've been saying it all weekend.

The Isles game was such a blowout because we couldn't kill penalties. If we killed just one of those 5 on 4 penalties we didn't kill then we would have lost 3-1. That's also assuming that stupid cluster**** in the last minute doesn't happen either. Nabby played a good game, Moose gave us a chance to win early, our PK was not good whatever. One of the goals was basically a 5 on 3 too, but whoever it was had just skated out of the box as the puck was going in the back of the net.

The Sens game well this is a problem we've been faced with for at least a year. Something is wrong with this team when a big goalie is in net. Our team struggles mightily against those huge goalies. Maybe they are in our guys heads, maybe it's cause all they have to shoot at are little Marty, Moose, and coach Terreri in practice. I don't know. I firmly believe this team struggles against big goalies with big equipment, and the Sens game proves that theory even further to me. It's also not the first time we've struggled against Bishop. We needed Moose to shut them out last year in March in Ottawa after only getting one goal past him.

I know people have ragged on you about the big goalies thing, but from last year it is true that we seem to just be unable to score against them. My theory though it isn't the goalie, but more our own poor finishing. If a guy naturally takes up more of the net you need to make him move, get out of position, or exploit some weakness to score (Bishop's 5 hole!!!), we didn't do ANY of that. Shootout was the perfect microcosm of our lack of creativity on finishing. It is weird, some nights we are trying to be to cute and to fancy, and then there are games like yesterday where we aren't fancy enough.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

At some point, we need to stop blaming the goalies... as they're becoming a part of the NHL reality.
There is some definite speed and creativity lacking throughout the lineup. A lack of one can be made up by using the other. But either of those will beat the larger, slower goalies.
Right now, it looks like guys know they're slumping. They're forcing plays and not using much of either. They know they need to shoot more, but they're shooting for the sake of shooting. And the puck either goes wide or right into somebody's shin pad.
When they need to get creative, they hold on to the puck too long and telegraph their next step.
Probably why the leading goal scorer on the team is the one who keeps it simple.
Hopefully a nice lengthy break lets them mentally refresh and helps them focus on offensive creativity without having to force it.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At some point, we need to stop blaming the goalies... as they're becoming a part of the NHL reality.
There is some definite speed and creativity lacking throughout the lineup. A lack of one can be made up by using the other. But either of those will beat the larger, slower goalies.
Right now, it looks like guys know they're slumping. They're forcing plays and not using much of either. They know they need to shoot more, but they're shooting for the sake of shooting.
When they need to get creative, they hold on to the puck too long and telegraph their next step.
Probably why the leading goal scorer on the team is the one who keeps it simple.
Hopefully a nice lengthy break lets them get mentally refresh and let them focus on offensive creativity without having to force it.

I just think this team needs to study these kinds of goalies more. They're not unbeatable by any means. Other teams mop the floor with them. Bishop had a 3.33 GAA or something coming into the game.

If it's in the playoffs I feel we could beat any goalie. Like Lundqvist has given us problems forever, but we got through to him in the playoffs. We were making Clemmensen look like Hasek for years, but when it came time to get serious in the playoffs we broke him. It's not impossible, but it's a weakness this team has particularly. It's kinda like particular teams have problems against teams with certain systems like shot blocking, trap, forechecking, etc. We have problems with these monster goalies, but it's fixable.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
A lot of this surmising about goalies is pretty useless. Goaltender performance of replacement level guys is inherently random, and I suspect most fans in the league think their team is somehow worse against no name netminders. It's because when you do get shutout or bested by a journeyman or AHL call-up, it's something that sticks in people's minds.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Edit -

:bow: Thank you. My god, the whining that has gone on is nearly unbearable.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Edit -

Just wanted to say you're not alone here.

Like Doc used to say, if not for mistakes, this game would be a lot less exciting. There's been a trend in analyzing the latest mistake as the hallmark of each player's entire season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
agreed, but as I’ve been saying since we were “#1â€- we aren’t as good as our record indicates. we have one more win than the rangers, who have a game at hand on us and are currently sitting outside the top-8.

that being said, we’re not as bad as we’re made out to be here, either. there’s a middle ground..

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
mNJ: :handclap::handclap::handclap:

McKenzie even said we were in for an ugly hockey year. I understand a lot of Devils don't look like they're on top of their game, but I assure everyone it's league-wide.

Also, in regards to Zajac, the guy just came back from playing 15 games over a year and a half. Give him some time to get back into the groove.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011

Edit -

So much this. It's getting ridiculous. Good post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad