Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I do, Perhaps you should use the thing between your ears and understand that saying someone could be better then Bratt isn't a dunk on him at all.

Sucks when people don't read who their quoting.

I said "could"

That is not a prediction

you know what you were doing sir.

Reactions: RyGuy

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I do, Perhaps you should use the thing between your ears and understand that saying someone could be better then Bratt isn't a dunk on him at all.

Sucks when people don't read who their quoting.

I said "could"

That is not a prediction
No one is saying it’s a “dunk” on Bratt, it just not realistic. (I didn’t really care about the original comment, and took it more as jokey throwaway line and let it go, just FYI.)

It’s just very tough to see Filmon being better than a PPG winger who drives plays and has great underlying numbers.

It’s easier for high end playmakers to get to PPG by increasing their goal scoring than it is for goal scorers to get there by scoring a shit ton of goals.

Filmon has turned into an intriguing prospect but I also doubt he makes the NHL next season as a productive player like Bratt did either.

To say “could” you have to say realistically why this player could produce that much in the NHL.

Right now his ceiling based just around his goal-scoring, which is something to get excited about, but a bit one dimensional.

He needs to develop his game beyond that and we’ll see what we get.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It`s really hard to wait something more than 55-60 points from Filmon even if he will be a good scorer. We can see how some parts of Sharangovich game limits him from playing top-6 role and how his production drop without good partners and in limited time.
Filmon can`t be one dimensional scorer to play top-6 role. Jack can make it by his own without any help from supporting cast, but supporting cast need to support. And if they will not help Jack, they are losing their spot. Reason why Tatar and Haula spend a lot of time in top-6 this year - even if they can`t score, they are really good overall players.
I`m very pro Filmon guy, but waiting even 60 points from a player who doubled his goals over his assists is too much. He is good skater for his size, but he needs to mature and work on his game a lot. He absolutely have potential, but it`s too early to say that his ceiling is 1 ppg player. If we will check stats, we have only few players, who can score much more than making assists and be productive.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What’s the ceiling on this kid? Does he have top-6 potential?
Ya for sure. I mean, Bratt as an example shows just about any prospect has that potential, it's all about the likelihood of it. Prior to this breakout season, it was there for Filmon, but it was a long shot. It's still a slong shot, but much less so now.

He's almost definitely going to play in the CHL again next year too. I think his slight frame will guarantee that no matter how good he looks otherwise. And next years Swift Current team will be returning just about every player of importance. So as a team they should be pretty darn good, and Filmon should have another big season. Could he actually expand on this years production? Would be impressive if he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Well with those passing stats, Josh & the puck…

F15D6FA1-5D9C-4EED-B954-AF4257670AD1.gif

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not to be contrarian, but big goal numbers in the WHL don't necessarily translate into success in the NHL.

With the exception of Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sam Steel and maybe one or two others, most of the leading goal scorers over the past decade or so have ended up as career minor leaguers or playing in Europe.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Not to be contrarian, but big goal numbers in the WHL don't necessarily translate into success in the NHL.

With the exception of Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sam Steel and maybe one or two others, most of the leading goal scorers over the past decade or so have ended up as career minor leaguers or playing in Europe.
I don’t even get the objective behind this post. What’s the point? To say that junior success doesn’t always translate to NHL success? Pretty sure that’s a well known fact, don’t you agree?

Fact remains it’s better to score goals than not score goals and I’m happy we have the WHL’s 3rd best goalscorer. I don’t see anyone saying it’s a guarantee he’ll be an elite goalscorer at the next level. As a fanbase we should be happy to have a prospect doing well! :D

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Draisaitl, Brayden Point, Seth Jarvis, Cozens, Hagel, Jeannot, Yamamoto, Geekie, and Debrusk all were top 20 in goals scored in the WHL during their WHL careers. Is it more likely Filmon amounts to nothing? Sure, but it's super unlikely most drafted players become anything anyway. Don't be such a stick in the mud.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Draisaitl, Brayden Point, Seth Jarvis, Cozens, Hagel, Jeannot, Yamamoto, Geekie, and Debrusk all were top 20 in goals scored in the WHL during their WHL careers. Is it more likely Filmon amounts to nothing? Sure, but it's super unlikely most drafted players become anything anyway. Don't be such a stick in the mud.
Was looking at the Top 10 goal scorers - had to look up a lot of them to see where they played (if they were still playing).

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
One of the reasons guys end up in Europe is there’s a good number of waterbug tweeners.

Matthew Phillips, Nic Petan, Jordan Weal, Chase de Leo…

If you don’t limit the list to U19 players then the wee tweeners really take over, that’s who’s left to dominate the CHL at 20.

It’s why I’m always a little bit skeptical about Logan Stankoven at 5’8” 170 or whatever. (He’s fun tho! Not a hater lol.)

Zippy waterbug WHL scorers in general are fun but it’s tough to adapt to the NHL.

Aleksi Heponiemi is listed at 5’10” 155 at 24 years old now, after getting drafted at 5’10” 149 in 2017 at #40.

Smaller WHL players have made too obviously (Brendan Gallagher, Brayden Point, Kailer Yamamoto) but it’s tough.

Even if Filmon isn’t the most physical guy, his size helps.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

So you are saying that Bedard is going to be a bust?:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad