Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
So you are saying that Bedard is going to be a bust?:sarcasm:
Nathan MacKinnon and Sidney Crosby scored a lot of goals in the Q. I too can pick the outliers to make a point.

Doesn't make it accurate.

There's a reason Dawson Mercer was selected before Jeremy McKenna, Egor Sokolov and the other Top 10 goal scorers he played against in that league.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Nathan MacKinnon and Sidney Crosby scored a lot of goals in the Q. I too can pick the outliers to make a point.

Doesn't make it accurate.

There's a reason Dawson Mercer was selected before Jeremy McKenna, Egor Sokolov and the other Top 10 goal scorers he played against in that league.
What exactly is the point you're trying to make? That a 6th round pick is unlikely to become a NHL star? Everyone knows that. That a guy who scores a lot in the WHL has an incredibly remote chance at making the NHL? Everyone knows that.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not to be contrarian, but big goal numbers in the WHL don't necessarily translate into success in the NHL.

With the exception of Oliver Bjorkstrand, Sam Steel and maybe one or two others, most of the leading goal scorers over the past decade or so have ended up as career minor leaguers or playing in Europe.

even a career minor leaguer from a 6th round pick is a home run of a pick

I don't know why you do stuff like this tbh. I haven't seen anyone on this board every say this kid is even a lock to make the NHL.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
even a career minor leaguer from a 6th round pick is a home run of a pick

I don't know why you do stuff like this tbh. I haven't seen anyone on this board every say this kid is even a lock to make the NHL.

The most glowing thing I’ve seen is one single person say is he could be better than Bratt (absolutely insane take) but he also thinks Bratt sucks so that shouldn’t mean anything to him.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What exactly is the point you're trying to make? That a 6th round pick is unlikely to become a NHL star? Everyone knows that. That a guy who scores a lot in the WHL has an incredibly remote chance at making the NHL? Everyone knows that.
You're probably right. The majority of people know that. Made the mistake of relying to a sarcastic post.

I'll learn.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
You're probably right. The majority of people know that. Made the mistake of relying to a sarcastic post.

I'll learn.

40A827C9-321E-4582-BBE7-55BC0922CA5A.gif

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Scott Wheeler on Filmon:

14. Josh Filmon, LW/RW, 18 (Swift Current Broncos)

Filmon’s a good junior player who plays a pro-style, goes to the middle of the ice and the front of the net, has a quick release, and should score 40-plus goals as the Broncos’ leading goal scorer pretty comfortably this year (even when is his high shooting percentage inevitably regresses). He’s a player of good habits and sound fundamentals with a wiry 6-foot-3, 161-pound frame (which is already two inches taller than a year ago) to fill out. His skating is an issue though, with a pitch-fork stride that lacks power and can look stilted. If he can find his frame and add some strength, though, there could be an interesting NHL depth player there someday potentially. He can also play both wings comfortably, which will help his odds. The belief among many in the WHL is that he’ll earn an NHL contract out of junior at become a solid AHL player at minimum. That would be good value out of a sixth-round pick at his floor. Fun fact: He had the best game in the CHL so far this season back in December: A six-goal (including a shorty), seven-point, 10-shot, plus-five night in an 8-4 win against the Oil Kings.

Here was the best of the six, protecting the puck on his backhand to attack into the dot onto his forehand:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If he's going to score goals like he has, then I say keep doing what you're doing Josh.

I see he notched another, and picked up an assist as well.

32-18-50 in 42 gp.

Edit: Oops, see he already had 32. So this is 3 games without a goal. He might be a bust.
37-24-61 in 52.

So in his last 10 gp's: 5-6-11.

Leads team in goals by 16.
Leads team in points by 2.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Gonna be interesting to see him at the next camp. Love that he’s clearly developing well, but it’s still hard for me to expect anything more than another Thompson/Foote fringe NHLer.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He had 2 goals and 1 assist last night. Both goals were empty net goals though. Not to take any credit away though.
Ya, he's not the only guy with empty netters, but it is good to note.

More notable in the splits as well. Not a ton of goals in the past 15 or so games. Thought maybe he got out of his cold stretch. Given the empty netters, maybe not.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gonna be interesting to see him at the next camp. Love that he’s clearly developing well, but it’s still hard for me to expect anything more than another Thompson/Foote fringe NHLer.

I like him a lot more than I liked Foote his D+1. The one thing that gives me pause is Filmon’s production seems to be heavy PP slanted

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Just keep doing your thing Josh. We don't need you right away in the lineup so patience and opportunity you will deff receive...I hope he gets a look for Cahads at World Juniors later this year.

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad