Value of: (1 yr rental) Matthews to COL BOS CAR SEA VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You don't trade a player as young and as good as Byram for a player with 1 year on their contract and then UFA. I don't care that it's a superstar. If Matthews was extending or had multiple years on his contract? Sure, okay.
Team's biggest struggle with lack of depth and no one knows if Gabe is coming back. You get yourself another superstar for one year and go for it because as we've seen dynasties don't have long shelf lives.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
My guess it'll be something like 50% retained Matthews for A tier prospect + conditional 2nd (becomes 1st if he re-signs)

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Team's biggest struggle with lack of depth and no one knows if Gabe is coming back. You get yourself another superstar for one year and go for it because as we've seen dynasties don't have long shelf lives.
You don't need to give up Byram to get Matthews from Toronto.

Girard + Lehkonen + 1st is a VERY very rough idea of what it would take IMO. Maybe that's too much or too little or whatever, but it's a rough draft which can be worked on and modified into something that works. It's in the right ballpark and the roster players / cap aspects work.

Somebody else in this thread said Toews + 1st. Not sure the Avalanche would do that, but if Toronto is in a position where they can't extend Matthews and they also can't sign and trade him, I imagine that they agree to Toews + 1st.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You don't need to give up Byram to get Matthews from Toronto.

Girard + Lehkonen + 1st is a VERY very rough idea of what it would take IMO. Maybe that's too much or too little or whatever, but it's a rough draft which can be worked on and modified into something that works. It's in the right ballpark and the roster players / cap aspects work.

Somebody else in this thread said Toews + 1st. Not sure the Avalanche would do that, but if Toronto is in a position where they can't extend Matthews and they also can't sign and trade him, I imagine that they agree to Toews + 1st.
This is a clear case of overvaluing your own players.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is a clear case of overvaluing your own players.
I'm a Toronto (and Pittsburgh) fan, not a Colorado fan.

Matthews is a 1 year rental. His trade value may be high, but it's no longer sky high as the contract length has entered into rental territory. If the Leafs had dreams of trading Matthews for an insanely good return, they should have traded him when he still had term on his contract, or they'd better hope that they can accomplish a sign and trade (probably Kings or Ducks or possibly Coyotes).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm a Toronto (and Pittsburgh) fan, not a Colorado fan.

Matthews is a 1 year rental. His trade value may be high, but it's no longer sky high as the contract length has entered into rental territory. If the Leafs had dreams of trading Matthews for an insanely good return, they should have traded him when he still had term on his contract, or they'd better hope that they can accomplish a sign and trade (probably Kings or Ducks or possibly Coyotes).
Then it’s a case of undervaluing a player due to an emotional reaction. This is a 26 year who’s averaged just under 50 goals a season over the last 4.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
People are sleeping on Carolina having a big interest in Matthews despite several clear reasons; including favorable reasons for the Hurricanes.

They were heavily linked to trade talks over Eichel, Matt Tkachuk, and Meier. Like Matthews, all are 20 something year old all-star forwards.

Compared to many other fellow cup contenders (particularly in the east) after this year's trade deadline, Carolina is loaded with trade assets. The Canes are also one of the few cup contenders that wouldn't worry about his contract's salary; they easily would have enough cap room next season and would make room if necessary in the summer of '24 with several contracts expiring in that off season.

Also, after being in a cooker pressure media wise and fan wise in Toronto, he'd probably appreciate something more low key atmosphere wise, and we have warm weather in North Carolina with beaches (since he'd probably appreciate that given his California connection), and we have mountains.

Finally, we have a player's coach in Rod Brind'Amour who is loved by the whole team and our fans, and is gonna be in the hockey hall of fame one day. Maybe being coached by a guy who won the Stanley Cup as a captain, is an inspirational leader that has gotten shit done, and who was also a center man like Matthews, might be appealing to him. Seems like that'd be a bigger deal for a star forward like Matthews trying to get over the playoff hump. What better way than being with an annual playoff team for 5 years in a row that has at LEAST gotten out of the 1st round each time (obviously relevant given Toronto's many 1st round exits), and still has a bright future as a team unlike say Boston with its core on the verge of retirement.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
He's UFA not RFA next summer. Your post is the whole reason I made this thread. MAYBE you can extend him, or MAYBE you can sign and trade him somewhere that he wants to be long term. BUT, if you can't, then you have to look at what your remaining available options are. Trading him to a team that he won't extend with for just a one year cup run is Plan C. A Kahwi Leonard to the Raptors situation, if you will. "Keeping him and hoping he extends later on" is Plan D and the Leafs need to avoid that plan at all costs.
I understand that. I'm referring to when he signed his current deal. He was an RFA with no leverage and the Leafs shot themselves in the foot. Just inexcusably poor management.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
What are you going to do? Trade Matthew for another 1st line center 60 goal scorer? You just aren’t going to get equal value for that player because who else is there? Avs aren’t trading Mac and the Edmonton is for sure never trading McDavid and Leon.

Same thing with Marner. Most teams will not trade a winger of equal caliber and there are very few players there. You just aren’t going to get equal value for a guy as good and young as Marner.

Tavares is untradable.

You can’t trade Morgan Reilly because he makes a fair salary and is your number 1 D.

You could get great value for Nylander but he’s already a 40 goal scoring winger on a phenomenal contract.

You get the point. This is the team. There is no blowing it up for a minimum of 2 years. This is the team they are running with. There are going to be minor tweaks until Matthews decides to sign long-term for $16 million a year.

Cool! I sincerely hope they do, because the horses they have aren't getting it done.

Only way to fix it is to get rid of one of those core pieces. Tavares is untradeable, Nylander is a fair contract so that leaves Marner and Matthews.

Move one of them, get something decent in return. Or use the return to trade for someone else. Or use the cap space to sign a free agent. Shaking things up in a massive way is the only way this core is going to win anything.

But by all means, I hope Dubas keeps his job, refuses to fire Keefe and goes into next season shuffling the chairs in the bottom 6 and deciding that this will be the solution.

Then The Maple Leafs completely implode in 2 seasons and rebuild for another 6. I like that as a Sens fan. Go right ahead.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
To Arizona with extension for a package including Arizona first pick this year (not 1oa).
Why would the Coyotes give up 6oa when they can wait until he’s a UFA a year later? Arizona is in no rush.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
People are sleeping on Carolina having a big interest in Matthews despite several clear reasons; including favorable reasons for the Hurricanes.

They were heavily linked to trade talks over Eichel, Matt Tkachuk, and Meier. Like Matthews, all are 20 something year old all-star forwards.

Compared to many other fellow cup contenders (particularly in the east) after this year's trade deadline, Carolina is loaded with trade assets. The Canes are also one of the few cup contenders that wouldn't worry about his contract's salary; they easily would have enough cap room next season and would make room if necessary in the summer of '24 with several contracts expiring in that off season.

Also, after being in a cooker pressure media wise and fan wise in Toronto, he'd probably appreciate something more low key atmosphere wise, and we have warm weather in North Carolina with beaches (since he'd probably appreciate that given his California connection), and we have mountains.

Finally, we have a player's coach in Rod Brind'Amour who is loved by the whole team and our fans, and is gonna be in the hockey hall of fame one day. Maybe being coached by a guy who won the Stanley Cup as a captain, is an inspirational leader that has gotten shit done, and who was also a center man like Matthews, might be appealing to him. Seems like that'd be a bigger deal for a star forward like Matthews trying to get over the playoff hump. What better way than being with an annual playoff team for 5 years in a row that has at LEAST gotten out of the 1st round each time (obviously relevant given Toronto's many 1st round exits), and still has a bright future as a team unlike say Boston with its core on the verge of retirement.
They’re my pick for Marner. I can see a Jarvis+Morrow package. Marner isn’t a pure rental and he would probably benefit most from getting out of Toronto.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area

MATTHEWS

for

KOTKANIEMI
PESCE
(UFA negotiating rights for Stastny) maybe???
Morrow

Is that something Carolina would consider?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just do a Tkachuk thing

Leafs get two older overpaid guys

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Los Angeles laughs and hangs up unless Matthews comes with a long-term extension.
I’m 90% confident he’s re-sign there. Either way I don’t think that proposal disrupts the core of their current team and it’s actually cap positive for LAK. I’d like to hear a LAK fans perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad