Value of: (1 yr rental) Matthews to COL BOS CAR SEA VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Krebs, mittlestadt, and all those 1st round prospects should be on the table. At worst you move Cozens to the wing to get more of your best players in the top 6.

Cozens - Matthews - Tuch
Skinner - Thompson - Quinn
Greenway - Kulich- JJP
who cares - who cares -who cares

Niiiiice

Kulich is pretty much guaranteed to be in Rochester next season, and has only had a partial season at C (less than 10 games). So Tage, Cozens and Matthews would be C in your instance.

As for a return for him, I don’t even want to think about that. It’d be too much for an all but likely one year with him. It’d be a better idea around the TDL to do that.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Is this like a Stockholm syndrome type of thing. Something about the familiarity of the same sort of abuse, over and over?
What are you going to do? Trade Matthew for another 1st line center 60 goal scorer? You just aren’t going to get equal value for that player because who else is there? Avs aren’t trading Mac and the Edmonton is for sure never trading McDavid and Leon.

Same thing with Marner. Most teams will not trade a winger of equal caliber and there are very few players there. You just aren’t going to get equal value for a guy as good and young as Marner.

Tavares is untradable.

You can’t trade Morgan Reilly because he makes a fair salary and is your number 1 D.

You could get great value for Nylander but he’s already a 40 goal scoring winger on a phenomenal contract.

You get the point. This is the team. There is no blowing it up for a minimum of 2 years. This is the team they are running with. There are going to be minor tweaks until Matthews decides to sign long-term for $16 million a year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His contract will be announced this off-season

the SB's will be insane
(like $32 million before he steps on the ice for the 2nd year of the deal)

I'm curious if his agent is looking for another shorter deal like 4 years to 30/31 years of age........ then max out the term on the final go.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What are you going to do? Trade Matthew for another 1st line center 60 goal scorer? You just aren’t going to get equal value for that player because who else is there? Avs aren’t trading Mac and the Edmonton is for sure never trading McDavid and Leon.

Same thing with Marner. Most teams will not trade a winger of equal caliber and there are very few players there. You just aren’t going to get equal value for a guy as good and young as Marner.

Tavares is untradable.

You can’t trade Morgan Reilly because he makes a fair salary and is your number 1 D.

You could get great value for Nylander but he’s already a 40 goal scoring winger on a phenomenal contract.

You get the point. This is the team. There is no blowing it up for a minimum of 2 years. This is the team they are running with. There are going to be minor tweaks until Matthews decides to sign long-term for $16 million a year.
I imagine you wouldn’t get an equal centre back. It doesn’t mean you can’t improve your team. If you get a lindholm at 6mil and a great depth guy then you are losing out but now have more depth. Seattle is contending with no stars but 3 top 2 lines. Edm wouldn’t get equal value back for a Drai but if they get a strong 2c and improve their D corp by getting a guy who can play #1 D they could be stronger or not.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If the Leafs get swept he's not going to be a Leaf long.
He's gonna be a Leaf until he forces his way out. No way they trade him for anything less than a king's ransom (nor should they).

What they should be doing is sitting down with him now and explaining that clearly to him. If you want to be here... blank check time. If you want to go elsewhere, tell us where and we can work with you. But no, if he's getting dealt, it's not gonna be for any of the pittances above. It's gonna be multiple 1sts or similar value. It's going to be a blockbuster.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't know. What's a career 40 goal scorer, soon to be UFA (who will want max), disappears in the playoffs, not much leadership or intangibles really worth?
Don't forget to add, plays for the name on the back ,not the logo on the front.
I wouldn't trade for him period.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Matthews to the Kings makes too much sense.

Kopitar's deal ends the same year his would kick in and he'd be nice and close to home with the glitz and glam of LA.

Lock it in.

I really don't like this idea... the Kings would be a very dangerous team indeed.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
rumor here in Tempe is that Austin wants to come to Arizona and he is basing his decision on the referendum. He doesn't realize that plan B is the reservation across the river from TED and a mile east 2 McKellips and the 101 and already agreed to.
GMBA won't trade the AZ 1st for him and I can't see AM waiving his NMC for any other team.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Persinally think you could get alot more from a team that really needs a 1C long term than a team looking for rental depth. Either way seems silly for Toronto to trade AM.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He's gonna be a Leaf until he forces his way out. No way they trade him for anything less than a king's ransom (nor should they).

What they should be doing is sitting down with him now and explaining that clearly to him. If you want to be here... blank check time. If you want to go elsewhere, tell us where and we can work with you. But no, if he's getting dealt, it's not gonna be for any of the pittances above. It's gonna be multiple 1sts or similar value. It's going to be a blockbuster.

Thats the point of my post, he might say nope not signing this summer and Leafs aren't letting him walk for free next summer........so by saying nope not signing this summer basically he would be forcing himself out. He also has a trade restriction currently so the Leafs and him need to be on the same page very quickly after the season before it kicks in.

What his return would be, I'll let others argue about that but lots of factors go into it and not all are good, that being said I would accept his return would be good.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
As a Leafs fan I have to admit I do feel this weird sense that it's becoming increasingly certain he's going to leave as well as feeling that letting him leave and getting value for him this summer is the right move.

He's not only American but an American from the South West. I'm sure he loves Toronto but he's a long way from home and a long way from what's familiar. He's under a lot of pressure in Toronto and is poised for another disappointing exit. I'm sure he's looking at free agency as a chance he can't pass up at this point.

From our team perspective....idk...we have one of the best rosters in the league on paper, I really like the squad. They all had great regular seasons the last two years (slight down season for AM). Something just isn't working with this core however and it feels stale to run it back.

Hard to get my heart and mind on this page but now that it is, I'm very open to exploring the possibilities of how we can reshape this team facilitated by a Matthews trade.

Question is, do we retool or rip it down to the ground with picks and prospects?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I remember getting flamed for saying he should be traded for a Kings ransom when he had 3yrs and 2yrs left.

His value is nowhere near where it was now, without an extension in place.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad