Value of: (1 yr rental) Matthews to COL BOS CAR SEA VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Wy is it worth it for these teams to PAY to rent Mathews but it doesn't make sense for Toronto to keep him for nothing?

Toronto keeps him and tries again if he re signs or not.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Not interested in moving him to an east team unless a massive overpayment.

Lmfao @ canes giving us two firsts aka 28th overall picks for him, 0 interest in helping an east team's playoff run for nothing.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Well, atleast he won't have to worry about playoff performance in Arizona.
He hasn't had to worry about his performance in Toronto. Leafs fans don't care. Look at HF. If you so much as hint that he's not on McDavids level (he is not) you are flooded with replies of how you're just a hater.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
He’ll be signing in LA:

-Grew up one state over in Arizona and loves the California climate/access to the coast.
-Has lots of celeb friends now and seems to enjoy that lifestyle.

-LA would still allow him to be a “name” in his sport and community but not too big of one… something he’ll appreciate after Toronto.

-Kings have a young core with great depth at all positions and just need a star C to be a real threat.

-Most importantly, Kopitar’s deal ends the same summer so the financials work almost perfectly.

Kempe-Matthews-Fiala
Byfield-Vilardi-Kaliyev
Grundstrom-Danault-Moore
Kupari-Pinelli-Chromiak
Fagemo-Turcotte-Laferriere

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov/?-Durzi
Bjornfot-Clarke
Moverare-Spence
Nousianien-Grans

?
Portillo

Re-sign Gavrikov this summer and find a starting goalie over these next two off-seasons, and that’s a really good team on the rise with lots of weapons that could go deep with regularity.

(Leafs fans incoming to scream about muh endorsements in 3… 2…)

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
pretty sure Matthews is gone i can definitely see him sign with LA or ANA

should TOR just trade them all and build a new core? this one has accomplished nothing one series won in all those years its embarassing

Reactions: bretpatrick7

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Why not?
1.) if they are trading Matthews. There is nothing on the ufa market worth spending on they may retain.

2.) he will have all his bonus paid. He only makes league min. IF he wants to go there could easily be a 3rd party broker

Arizona could have a 5.8 million cap charge for like 300k.
1. with or without matthews the leafs window is now. having dead cap means they wont ice as good of a team. not saying retention is impossible just not likely in the amount needed to open the market imo.

2. 3rd party broker is a good way to go but they would still have to pay part of his $7.2m signing bonus since he doesnt get that until the nmc kicks in meaning he would have to get traded prior to the bonus getting paid.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He’ll be signing in LA:

-Grew up one state over in Arizona and loves the California climate/access to the coast.
-Has lots of celeb friends now and seems to enjoy that lifestyle.

-LA would still allow him to be a “name” in his sport and community but not too big of one… something he’ll appreciate after Toronto.

-Kings have a young core with great depth at all positions and just need a star C to be a real threat.

-Most importantly, Kopitar’s deal ends the same summer so the financials work almost perfectly.

Kempe-Matthews-Fiala
Byfield-Vilardi-Kaliyev
Grundstrom-Danault-Moore
Kupari-Pinelli-Chromiak
Fagemo-Turcotte-Laferriere

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov/?-Durzi
Bjornfot-Clarke
Moverare-Spence
Nousianien-Grans

?
Portillo

Re-sign Gavrikov this summer and find a starting goalie over these next two off-seasons, and that’s a really good team on the rise with lots of weapons that could go deep with regularity.

(Leafs fans incoming to scream about muh endorsements in 3… 2…)

I’d throw the Ducks in the mix too depending on how the lottery shakes out. Bedard and Matthews would be on par with what the Pens and Oilers have had.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Depending on the results of the lottery you could probably get Zona's 1st or Hayton if TO lets them hammer out and extension.

They’d get both and additional assets if there is a sign and trade.

Any sign and trade scenario will be a top prospect ready to play, plus at least two 1st round picks and a top 6 forward.

In the Arizona situation, it would likely be:
Hayton
Guenther
2023 1st
2024 1st lottery protected

I can’t see Matthews wanting to go there. I think strategically it would make sense for Arizona. It provides a level of legitimacy to their Arena build. It may make more sense for them off ice than on ice. Not nearly the same as Gretzky to LA but under the circumstances in Arizona, he may be the piece that helps the arena get built.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Without an extension, the closest precedent for a Matthews trade is maybe the Karlsson trade which had a lot of conditions involved on the picks but was basically for one year of Karlsson:
  • Dylan Demelo
  • Josh Norris
  • Unconditional 1st (that turned into Tim Stutzle)
  • 2nd Rounder
  • 2nd Rounder

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 7.32.33 AM.png

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I don't know. What's a career 40 goal scorer, soon to be UFA (who will want max), disappears in the playoffs, not much leadership or intangibles really worth?

• Love
Reactions: Hexroot

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. with or without matthews the leafs window is now. having dead cap means they wont ice as good of a team. not saying retention is impossible just not likely in the amount needed to open the market imo.

2. 3rd party broker is a good way to go but they would still have to pay part of his $7.2m signing bonus since he doesnt get that until the nmc kicks in meaning he would have to get traded prior to the bonus getting paid.

See that’s where I disagree. I think Matthews waits to get his NMC and doesn’t sign if he wants our.

I don’t see him just getting randomly traded without notice. We will see though

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
See that’s where I disagree. I think Matthews waits to get his NMC and doesn’t sign if he wants our.

I don’t see him just getting randomly traded without notice. We will see though

No way the Leafs set themselves up for a media gong show. They will have an agreement in principle ready to sign on July 1 or they will trade him at the draft. Imagine the gong show of Matthews shows up to camp without a contract and says he’s playing out his contract and going UFA? Nightmare for everyone involved . Toronto media would have a field day!

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Matthews to Arizona, gets to go home, get paid the most, and he doesn’t have to worry about his playoff performances. And I’m not joking, he legitimately wouldn’t have to worry, because the team is trash and media out there is non existent

Toronto is really gonna just trade the best player in the world?
1. It’s possible , 2. He ain’t the best in the world and this is coming from a Leaf fan. Being the best also involves effort. He lacks that on some nights

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think Buffalo would have the cap space

In theory, yes. The problem is where they would fit him, as the top 2 lines are set (even though the Sabres roll 3 lines for the most part). The only spot that would be intriguing would be as the 3rd line C or RW, playing with Mittelstadt or Krebs and Greenway, and I think you’d wanna give Matthews more than ~16 minutes a game at 5v5.

But Matthews and Tage on the same PP?

1683557767721.gif

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They’d get both and additional assets if there is a sign and trade.

Any sign and trade scenario will be a top prospect ready to play, plus at least two 1st round picks and a top 6 forward.

In the Arizona situation, it would likely be
I'm sure, but those would be the center piece of any deal.

If they do win they lottery, leak that Toronto is willing to swap Matthews for Bedard to pressure the Yotes to make a deal.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad