Value of: (1 yr rental) Matthews to COL BOS CAR SEA VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
will the Leafs wait until his NMC kicks in before trying to trade him? What if he says he will not waive his NMC except for 1 team? What happens if AM decides not to talk contract until then? Would the Leafs preempt and trade him anyways? This could turn sour real quick.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Matthews to Vegas would be so stupid I'm all for it.

I'd do something around Marchessault + Pietrangelo for Matthews + 12M extension and Brodie, but OP's proposal of Martinez + Marchessault for 1 year of Matthews sounds good to me.

Oof I hearby rescind this offer.

• Haha
Reactions: Irie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews has a NMC kicking in July 1st and then walks as a UFA one year after that.

Leafs are either :
- extending Matthews on July 1st
- sign and trading Matthews on July 1st (LAK or ANH or ARZ)
- trading Matthews before July 1st, he has 1 year left then UFA

So what is Matthews worth for one year to Colorado, Boston, Carolina, Seattle, Vegas?
Or any team that would maybe be interesting in adding him for one year.

Toronto can't retain any salary, but I suppose theoretically some third team could if you involve them and the team adding Matthews compensates the third team.

I don't claim to know what a fair deal here is. You tell me.

My personal assumptions :
- All trades will include 1st round pick or one of the team's best prospects or both
- COL trade includes at least one of Girard, Lehkonen
- BOS trade includes at least one of Hall, Coyle, Carlo, Ullmark
- CAR trade involves Kotkaniemi
- SEA trade involves at least one of Gourde, McCann, Schwartz, Wennberg, Burakovsky
- VGK trade involves at least one of Martinez, Marchessault, Karlsson, Smith

We already know Matthews isn't signing July 1st and that's OK, if he doesn't sign July 1st they don't need to immediately trade him.

EVERY indication is that it's going to get done.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
They literally brought Captain Coyote Doan himself to keep him in Toronto. There's no way they deal him as a rental

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
if anyone acquires Matthews it will likely have to be a sign and trade or something. no one is going to spend the assets required to pry Matthews and not get him extended. or atleast I highly doubt any GM would.
also Matthews getting a NTC so moving him might be impossible if that's what Leafs want to do

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
if anyone acquires Matthews it will likely have to be a sign and trade or something. no one is going to spend the assets required to pry Matthews and not get him extended. or atleast I highly doubt any GM would.
also Matthews getting a NTC so moving him might be impossible if that's what Leafs want to do
While true….

the problem is if NMC clause kicks in and he says he only goes to LA or Chicago then the leafs lose value in trade ( see Hasek and Detroit)

if they open to anyone before July 1 footprint 1 yr you can get more than Horvat got.

mid 1st, contract ( or 2) not a dump, and 2 2nd/ prospects

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
With no extension, a mid 1st round equivalent and a prospect in the 3 to 5 range in the organization. Leafs retain half his contract (that's what I would do) and it gets really interesting fast. Matthews at a $5.8 M cap hit could elevate a team to #1 cup contender, albeit for a year.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I really want Matthews to stay with Toronto this year so I can watch the doom and gloom on Leaf fans faces as he approaches the summer he walks for nothing.

Reactions: Justicebork

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
From the Kraken perspective, the cost for the team of one year of AM would represent the height of stupidity. Kawhi Leonard, he ain't.

Reactions: brewski420

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
From the Kraken perspective, the cost for the team of one year of AM would represent the height of stupidity. Kawhi Leonard, he ain't.

If anything the success of Eichel after a change of scenery might increase interest in Matthews.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Matthews has a NMC kicking in July 1st and then walks as a UFA one year after that.

Leafs are either :

So what is Matthews worth for one year to Colorado, Boston, Carolina, Seattle, Vegas?

Toronto can't retain any salary, but I suppose theoretically some third team could if you involve them and the team adding Matthews compensates the third team.

- All trades will include 1st round pick or one of the team's best prospects or both
- SEA trade involves at least one of Gourde, McCann, Schwartz, Wennberg, Burakovsky
Boston will give you Hall and Coyle done deal

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Did the team and new GM just say he is not moving any of the big 4? Trading him would be a step backwards for sure based on the trades you propose...

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Listen, I understand he's a highly skilled and marketable player but surely the return and cap relief Toronto would gain from trading him outweighs what he can do on the ice. He's not worth what it'll cost.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
While true….

the problem is if NMC clause kicks in and he says he only goes to LA or Chicago then the leafs lose value in trade ( see Hasek and Detroit)

if they open to anyone before July 1 footprint 1 yr you can get more than Horvat got.

Meh, I don’t think it works like that. A team trading for him is going to want to know he’s willing to sign. That really doesn’t matter if it’s now or after July 1. I don’t think anyone is going to trade for him just for the year.

The Leafs would get a Karlsson package. I doubt that GM will misread his team like SJ did so that the Leafs get a top draft pick more like a 20 OA or later.

But I’d still be shocked if he doesn’t sign with the Leafs. That’s where he will get the most money and they don’t seem to put much pressure on him about his less than elite playoff performances.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
This is how you get a Gaudreau to Columbus situation.
OMG we're going to get to watch this again aren't we?

And the Leaf fans belief that this is all going to work out, that he's going to resign there long term ... its genuine. Its almost beautiful

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
While true….

yeah thats the problem. but only issue is no one will pay what Leafs would want and risk not getting him extended. Leafs are stuck between a rock and a hard place with that one. Matthews for sure will either take 14-15m to extend or he will walk and Leafs get nothing

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

Leafs are either :

CAR trade involves Kotkaniemi!!!
Used lost all hockey credibility in one foul swoop
Absolutely horrible names mentioned as required players in Matthews trade horrible!

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
The only place for him is a bottom of the barrel franchise that can allow him to soak all their money dry for one marketable star.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They literally brought Captain Coyote Doan himself to keep him in Toronto. There's no way they deal him as a rental
They didn't bring in Doan to keep Matthews in Toronto. If it helps, great, but he was hired based on his relationship with Treliving.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Did the team and new GM just say he is not moving any of the big 4? Trading him would be a step backwards for sure based on the trades you propose...
Treliving said that, but is he really going to risk Matthews walking for nothing after he went through the exact same thing with Gaudreau between 2021 and 2022? The fanbase would eat him alive and he would be fired as well.

The way I see it, GMs say a lot of things. Talk is cheap when push comes to shove. Or maybe he's just a huge idiot and he's gonna risk it and possibly get fired after he f__ks the franchise over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad