Value of: (1 yr rental) Matthews to COL BOS CAR SEA VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Colorado just got 7 million in cap space so they might have space now.
avs can make it work for a season. after that is a problem. at the end of the day i think he matthews is moved the high bidder is probably a team that intends to keep him.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Quinton Byfield for Auston
Kings can only afford Matthews' cap hit AFTER next season. If they trade for him this summer, with or without an extension, they'll need to pay a third team to retain half of Matthews' salary in order to fit him into their roster, due to Kopitar's large cap hit which disappears next summer. Kopitar take a big pay cut next summer or I guess possibly won't even be a King anymore? Either way, they can't fit Matthews without retention this summer.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
He'll replace Landeskog. We'll give you Girard, a 1st round pick, and toss in Newhook as an extra.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He'll replace Landeskog. We'll give you Girard, a 1st round pick, and toss in Newhook as an extra.
The best piece in that package is Girard. I'll pass.

Another Avs fan offered Toews + 1st... that was more appealing. Makar Byram Girard Manson is a respectable top 4. You could sign Pacioretty for cheap as well to play with MacKinnon, and put Lehkonen with Matthews.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Suddenly my Matthew’s for Byram proposal doesn’t look so bad.
Leafs should absolutely take that. Avs shouldn't offered it (but we've been through that).

Bottom line, if the Avs DO offer it, and there's no realistic scenario where we can sign and trade Matthews anywhere for a higher tier of return, I hope to god that the Leafs accept.

Byram can be one of the better Leafs players for the next 10 years. Yes please.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Matthews to Vegas would be so stupid I'm all for it.

I'd do something around Marchessault + Pietrangelo for Matthews + 12M extension and Brodie, but OP's proposal of Martinez + Marchessault for 1 year of Matthews sounds good to me.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Toronto would probably try really hard to get one of Morrow/Nikishin instead of setting for Heimosalmi + 1st + 5th. Maybe even adding in a non-1st round pick on the Toronto side to get Carolina to pull the trigger. That being said, if they couldn't accomplish that, they MIGHT settle for your offer. You just might have a deal here!

Kotkaniemi + Pesce + Heimosalmi + 2023 CAR 1ST + 5th round pick (preferably 2023) for Matthews. Fax the paperwork. I would anticipate some Leafs fans and some Canes fans complaining that their respective team gave up too much in the deal. Usually a good sign of a fair deal or close to one.
Im almost certain other teams could beat this offer.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The best piece in that package is Girard. I'll pass.

Another Avs fan offered Toews + 1st... that was more appealing. Makar Byram Girard Manson is a respectable top 4. You could sign Pacioretty for cheap as well to play with MacKinnon, and put Lehkonen with Matthews.

Ideally, Toews is moved for a more permanent solution. Also, there's no guarantee it's not the same thing in the playoffs with AM if he's with the Avs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see the Leafs trading Matthews but if the contract talks don't go well this summer, maybe. Difficult situation and nobody knows what is on the mind of Matthews. I think he stays but the Leafs are going to have to pay him big time. 8x $13M-$15M range.

If he is traded, that's a massive contract to move in a season where it's still a flat cap. No doubt teams will line up to make offers but there would be salary going the other way more likely. And then I wonder if that team wants permission to talk extension before the trade is official. Trading Matthews is easier said than done... especially with a mindset of getting the return value you want.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I don't see the Leafs trading Matthews but if the contract talks don't go well this summer, maybe. Difficult situation and nobody knows what is on the mind of Matthews. I think he stays but the Leafs are going to have to pay him big time. 8x $13M-$15M range.

If he is traded, that's a massive contract to move in a season where it's still a flat cap. No doubt teams will line up to make offers but there would be salary going the other way more likely. And then I wonder if that team wants permission to talk extension before the trade is official. Trading Matthews is easier said than done... especially with a mindset of getting the return value you want.
The team trading for Matthews can pay Chicago a 1st rounder to retain half of Matthews' salary until his contract ends next summer. A lot of teams can add Matthews for 1 year for under $6m cap hit, if they hypothetically want to spend the assets to acquire him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Matthews to Vegas would be so stupid I'm all for it.

I'd do something around Marchessault + Pietrangelo for Matthews + 12M extension and Brodie, but OP's proposal of Martinez + Marchessault for 1 year of Matthews sounds good to me.
Why would Toronto want a couple of guys in their near mid-thirties making stupid money??

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah because McCabe, ROR and Giordano are spring chickens.
McCabe is 29, Gio is making 800K and O’Reilly is a FA. Petro is making near 9 for the next 4 years. Matthews is one of the best players on the planet, so Toronto would give him up to grab old guys for a “win now” mentality?

Please make it make sense. I’m begging you.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You don’t think he would sign long term in Boston with a core of Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman, Zacha and potentially Bertuzzi and Lindholm?
Boston has enough good regular season players , they are now looking for a playoff roster.........

Mathews isn't going anywhere but the hospital for surgery. That boy needs some kind of surgery.
Start with the heart and then move too the testicles.......

• Haha
Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If the Avalanche were to trade and reup Matthews they could potentially have the two highest paid players in the league and big paydays on Rantenen and Makar looming while those contracts are active. I doubt that would be feasible with over $25M tied up in two guys.

An all in year....Byram is stiff prince for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad