Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yea, I am giving him a chance. I think something needs to be done, he can't just sit around and waste the season.

Shit the bed this week and the season will be done. Buff, Flo, Mtl ahead of us with games in hand and TB right behind us with 5 games in hand. Our potent offence is -6 in goal differential. A+ to the GM, coaches and players.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Euro coaching style..combined with Euro playing style(players)...Exactly what did anyone expect ..there are the Euro posters who applauded this insanity also....non of the above understand the NHL game, thats why the results are what they are..
paging Ivan Helenka..............

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Getting rid of the already existing problems and cleaning house is what most do. Being willing to address the problems you created is much harder to do, and that would be where stubbornness is shown. Dubas should have been allowed to get rid of the problem coach the Leafs had when Dubas became GM.

Leaf backup goalies are now 0-6 with .875sv%. Quick fire the coach! The existing problem is the lineup. The lineup is Dubas creation, not Babcock's. When the team fixes a couple of giant holes then they can focus on the coaching. Giving a new coach the same flawed lineup and expecting them to become champions isn't realistic.

Reactions: Buds17

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
**** the bed this week and the season will be done. Buff, Flo, Mtl ahead of us with games in hand and TB right behind us with 5 games in hand. Our potent offence is -6 in goal differential. A+ to the GM, coaches and players.

You're right, this is a team effort. They have earned this record 100%. Everybody deserves flack. There is nobody "innocent".

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yea, well, what if the GM he wants says "I don't want Babcock"? You either give the GM full autonomy or don't bother. If he has not given Dubas full autonomy then he was also fully behind these inflated contracts. Then Shanny is the person to blame for all of this. You can't say Shanny is 100% innocent. So if he stands behind Babs then he can **** off.
if dubas is Shanahan's puppet your right all this is on Brendan.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
if dubas is Shanahan's puppet your right all this is on Brendan.

I look at the team now as a house of cards. If Shanny makes the wrong move, it all goes to shit. Probably why he is sitting on his hands, which might be the right move for all we know. Most of us can only assume what is going on behind closed doors. Have the players quit on the coach ? Is the GM incompetent ? Can Babs turn this around ? Is Keefe the man ? Can Barrie find his game ? Do Matty and Nylander hate Babcock ?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If this team has any pride, they will show it in Vegas. Another loss like last night and the players have checked out or are simply not good enough. You can decide for yourself.

Reactions: Vaive50

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I look at the team now as a house of cards. If Shanny makes the wrong move, it all goes to ****. Probably why he is sitting on his hands, which might be the right move for all we know. Most of us can only assume what is going on behind closed doors. Have the players quit on the coach ? Is the GM incompetent ? Can Babs turn this around ? Is Keefe the man ? Can Barrie find his game ? Do Matty and Nylander hate Babcock ?
inquiring minds want to know.................

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
You're right, this is a team effort. They have earned this record 100%. Everybody deserves flack. There is nobody "innocent".

I can’t really find blame to put on Andy but that’s been the case for the last 2 years.

Without him we’d be worse than Detroit

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If this team has any pride, they will show it in Vegas. Another loss like last night and the players have checked out or are simply not good enough. You can decide for yourself.
these players have checked out so much of late I expect to see them at the cash register when I go shopping.

Reactions: Ciao and ToneDog

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Theguys need to start playing in straight lines (more north south, and less east west) and make it hard for Vegas to have any open ice. The boys need to compete harder when they don’t have the puck. They are just way too easy to play against right now.

Reactions: ToneDog

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Euro coaching style..combined with Euro playing style(players)...Exactly what did anyone expect ..there are the Euro posters who applauded this insanity also....non of the above understand the NHL game, thats why the results are what they are..
That you Don?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If this team had pride they wouldn’t have to come out and show it in Vegas. They’ve just put together too much of a garbage 20 games for them to be let off the hook. This is their identity. And it’s ugly.

Reactions: ToneDog

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Leaf backup goalies are now 0-6 with .875sv%. Quick fire the coach! The existing problem is the lineup. The lineup is Dubas creation, not Babcock's. When the team fixes a couple of giant holes then they can focus on the coaching. Giving a new coach the same flawed lineup and expecting them to become champions isn't realistic.

I remember they fired Caryle when he was a point in the playoffs.

Anyone want to drag out how many games in a row they immediately AFTER he was fired? I'm curious myself actually.

Update: Carlye was fired after losing game #40 against the Jets in 2014/15. They were 21-16-3 at that point. The Leafs record from game #41-60? 3 Wins and 17 crushing defeats!

I liked Carlyle, I like Babcock, it's not always the coach. A different face and style may help, but barring some serious issues (back up goaltending, lack of fight?), it comes down to the players. Their willingness to learn the system, work hard, be prepared and execute.

I don't know if Babcock will be fired or not, if it's right or not. I do know MLSE should stay out of executive and management decisions. It's been decades of coddling. If Dubas gave in to Nylander and didn't pull the trigger on a trade, thats on him. If ownership breathed down his neck, I'm reminded of the reason Scotty Bowman didn't come here when he offered (only if they'd leaving him alone to build and coach the team how HE wanted to).

2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So ummmm... for an insider to say this... how bad is it?

He’s not really saying anything we aren’t saying. I’d like him to say something about what Shanahan/Dubas are doing to clean up the current mess, or if they are just going let it get bigger?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
**** the bed this week and the season will be done. Buff, Flo, Mtl ahead of us with games in hand and TB right behind us with 5 games in hand. Our potent offence is -6 in goal differential. A+ to the GM, coaches and players.
How can any teams have 5 games in hand this early into the season? The NHL scheduling really need fixing. 1 or 2 games is acceptable but 5 games, that’s literally two weeks. Did TB started the season 2 weeks later than the Leafs?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I liked Carlyle, I like Babcock, it's not always the coach guys. A different face and style may help, but barring some serious issues (back up goaltending, lack of fight?), it comes down to the players.

Firing Carlyle was an awesome move. We weren't f***ing going anywhere with that team. Firing Carlyle sparked the tank that needed to happen.

We got something similar here. We ain't goin nowhere with the combination of Babcock + our roster. So fire Babcock so we can begin identifying the real issues.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Firing Carlyle was an awesome move. We weren't ****ing going anywhere with that team. Firing Carlyle sparked the tank that needed to happen.

We got something similar here. We ain't goin nowhere with the combination of Babcock + our roster. So fire Babcock so we can begin identifying the real issues.

Tanks and gain what? The rebuild has begun, we are in year 3 or 4 by now, I can't keep track.

Perpetual rebuild isn't a winner. A rebuild is supposed to happen AFTER you win a Cup, or at least make it to the finals and must recycle, retweak to stay atop.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad