Sportsnet: “All bets are off” in regards to Babcock

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
These insiders usually stay out of commenting in this manner.
Love your avatar pic. We have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. Fabulously fun, and a great everyday car. Feels good to go for a nice long drive the morning after a tough loss.

Reactions: Erdinger

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
lmao this the Leafs troll "Sgt Osiris" from the main board.
Did Berube have any NHL experience as a head coach when the Blues hired him last season? What about the guy in Pittsburgh, who got hired part way through the season, and now has two rings?
Maybe Shanahan and Dubas are waiting to fire Babs because they’re still talking to his potential replacement? They’d have to have that guy ready to go before firing Babs, right?

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
How can any teams have 5 games in hand this early into the season? The NHL scheduling really need fixing. 1 or 2 games is acceptable but 5 games, that’s literally two weeks. Did TB started the season 2 weeks later than the Leafs?

They got behind because they went to Sweden and played a couple of games

Reactions: Erdinger

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Doubt babs gets the axe during the year, thats just my hunch. It's an organizational failure when you fire your head coach. They dont do it during the year.

They will re-evaluate in the off-season and make the change then. I do think the team will get a major shakeup by the deadline and give Babs another chance for 2nd half of the year.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Media is just saying what will get them clicks and viewers.

Looks like management is extremely patient with Babcock. Most likely be will finish out his contract plus whatever multi year extension they offer him.

Worse front office than Ballard era.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Would've fired the front office after the Nylander debacle. Gave the message they could be pushed around by agents, parents and self-entitled babies. What has happened this year was predictable and predicted. Like I said a long time ago, would love to play poker with the Leaf front office.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Just stop watching this excuse of a team, not worth watching with the dumb a$$ Babcock behind the bench.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Media is just saying what will get them clicks and viewers.

Looks like management is extremely patient with Babcock. Most likely be will finish out his contract plus whatever multi year extension they offer him.

Worse front office than Ballard era.
MLSE shareholders probably have figured out that a gong show season will bring in more ad revenue than 3 home playoff games

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Doubt babs gets the axe during the year, thats just my hunch. It's an organizational failure when you fire your head coach. They dont do it during the year.

They will re-evaluate in the off-season and make the change then. I do think the team will get a major shakeup by the deadline and give Babs another chance for 2nd half of the year.

Being honest. Doubt Leafs make the playoffs with Babs as coach.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
I don't think there is any chance Babcock will get replaced during this 3 game western road trip regardless of how we do. In saying that, I do think there is a strong chance that Dubas decides to make a change during this road trip (maybe already has) if they continue to play the same way. I personally don't see this turning around and if it doesn't I'm betting Babcock's last game would be against the Avalanche on Sun, Nov 24. It just makes the most sense logistically:

1. Avoids the awkward situation that may arise if Babcock coaches again at home.
2. Following the Nov 24th game the team has a four day break (Sun, Nov 24 - Thurs, Nov 28) which would give the new coach some time to get in some practices, meet the team, ease-in, etc.
3. The next two games are much closer to home (Detroit and Buffalo) meaning the Leafs can properly introduce the new coach in Toronto and all the little logistics that come with replacing personnel is made less chaotic.
4. The players would not need to be back in Toronto for nearly a week following the firing, which would let the media storm that comes with firing Babcock settle a bit. Furthermore, any arena or practice facility changes (i.e office space changes, dressing room design, etc.) are made easier without games or practices in the city.
5. The Marlies play on the 24th in Toronto and then have a 5 day break. If Keefe is the new coach, this would even allow the new Marlies' coach some transition time.

Ultimately if nothing has changed by the time they are back home in December (either their play or a coaching change) then I will be worried.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Love your avatar pic. We have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. Fabulously fun, and a great everyday car. Feels good to go for a nice long drive the morning after a tough loss.

Thanks. :D I almost bought one this year but my wife thinks a 4th toy with an engine in my garage is over kill and she is kinda right, I don't have enough time in my week for one of those toys.

Any issues with the Supercharger? The 2015 and 2016's are known for bad bearings in their superchargers. I have my eye on a wide body that will probably be in my garage next summer.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Yeah but if you ask some Leaf fans, a rookie coach could never have success here, it's impossible...
I think what most do not realize is that there is a difference between hiring a rookie coach and hiring a rookie coach that is already in your system and familiar with the players in it. The one thing all of the mid-season coaching change success stories have in common is they previously coached their farm team.

Sheldon Keefe has probably worked with at least 50% of the current Leafs roster at some point with the Marlies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Honest question...

The leafs made a franchise record in points under babcock while this same core was 2 years less experienced and didn't have Tavares.

I'm not so sure the 3rd and 4th lines were better 2 years ago. I'm also not so sure that the D was any better 2 years ago.

Sure, Mcbackup was much better than Sparks/Hutch... but it's not just that.

The team looks lost under Babcocks system... while 2 years ago they thrived from it.

Other than "the players want to get Babcock fired" (which seems unreasonable), what else could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad